1980 - All The Lies That Are My Life

The SPIDER Symposion: in-depth discussion of specific Ellison stories and works.

Moderators: Moderator, Jan, Duane

Onlooker

I always personally thought

Postby Onlooker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:53 am

that the fact the dead writer had a ghost writer write some of his stuff was the secret he was afraid would come out, but I may be wrong. Great story though.

G.
Some snappy-sounding soundbite signature slogan

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:37 pm

After reading ABIDING WITH STURGEON: MISTRAL IN THE BIJOU, one could make the assumption that there's some Sturgeon in LIES as well. One thing that never seemed to fit was that I don't think Harlan ever considered Silverberg wildly superior to him as a writer (nor vice versa), but this must have been the case with Sturgeon. It's also interesting that what Harlan told us about Ted asking him to write his obituary reminded me of what happened between Jimmy and Larry. It's not the same thing, but Harlan did carry this burden around with himself for twenty years or so.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Harlan in The Guardian

Ah, All The Lies That Are My Life. One of my great apologias for being the idiot I am. It was based upon – well, there are two legs upon which it stands. One of them is the relationship that I have had with another writer all my life, who was at one time a very, very close friend of mine, who I discovered later was less a good friend than I had thought, and who had held me in some contempt. And then the relationship between Edgar Allan Poe and Griswold, who became his bibliographer after he died, and kept Poe a minor figure in literature for over a hundred years. This was a sort of getting even story where a famous writer talks about another famous writer he knew.

Return to “Literary Symposium”