1973 - Ahbhu

The SPIDER Symposion: in-depth discussion of specific Ellison stories and works.

Moderators: Moderator, Jan, Duane

kevinkirby

Common Puli Behaviors

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:21 pm

I'm not really remembering much. It's only after reading about Ahbhu at this website that any memories have returned. I'll have to look up that piece with the name as the title.

But if you really like dog stories, there's a pointer/collie/labrador I met recently and boy is he friendly -- besides being super-fast. After finding out his probable breed via the internet, I rescued him from two things his owner was doing wrong:

1. Caging him indoors -- pointers become hyperactive when caged

2. Giving him orders harshly -- collies will deliberately ignore people who behave harshly.

Their nice dog had become hyperactive and was ignoring them, which was making the situation far worse.

Now if I could just convince them to stop using the shock-collar, instead of checking out each and every incident of barking. It may seem inconvenient to join up with your dog at every bark, but one never can tell what vigilance will uncover...

[Ensuing dog discussion moved to General forum. - Mod.]

KristinRuhle

Postby KristinRuhle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:24 am

Awwwww.

I wonder if anyone else named their dog "Ahbhu." What a great tribute that would be.

The essay is written almost in the words of a child, perhaps intentionally so.

Just got my copy ( h/c ordered from Susan..$45 and in great shape) of THE BEAST THAT SHOUTED LOVE....which contains "A Boy and His Dog." It's dedicated to Ahbhu among others (the book i mean). So yeah, I think that dog really existed.

It's been a long time, but may he rest in peace.

Kristin

Dedalus

Postby Dedalus » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:39 am

Don't leave me with strangers.

Yeah, I remember that one. :D

Return to “Literary Symposium”