#10 - The Man Who Was Heavily into Revenge

The SPIDER Symposion: in-depth discussion of specific Ellison stories and works.

Moderators: Moderator, Jan, Duane

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:57 pm

Do you mean, fun, in that You-hadda-be-there-kind-of-way? he drove a nail into some guy's head! Who's stupid enough to want to invite Caligula over. Were he not a murderer, he was still fairly creepy.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed May 10, 2006 2:34 pm

I realize what Harlan was trying to portray with the character of Evelyn Hand was the hopeless futility that comes with the cycle of vengeance, but...I'm sorry...I just didn't find her response at the end of the tale all that believable.

Yes, Tolliver forgot to repair the voilin. Yes, it cost her a recital which she was probably looking forward to with serious anxiety. (I'm only assuming all of this, since we don't get to know Evelyn as we get to know Tolliver, and thus we're not allowed to "feel" for her plight.) But Evelyn is practically delivering death threats over the phone. I realize I'm not Tolliver, but if someone labelled me an "unreliable and evil man" over the telephone, I wouldn't have accepted the title with as much indifference and apathy as Tolliver. "Evil" is a very, very, very, very strong word, and within the context of the story, Evelyn has no right - absolutely none - to toss it around with such self-righteous arrogance. That one moment took me out of the tale when it probably wasn't meant to.

Rick Keeney

here we go again frank

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon May 15, 2006 4:21 pm

ahem...the word is "fungi" ok?

Webster

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun May 21, 2006 4:53 am

OK. I had another read-through of REVENGE, and like my previous reactions to some of Harlan's work, my first post was entirely inspired by my initial, raw reaction. But now I recognize where Haraln's coming from. If revenge is a dish best served cold, the cyclic pattern of vengeance within the story guarantees that there won't be a single human left alive to enjoy dessert.

Return to “Literary Symposium”