Writing

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

Kafkahead

Writing

Postby Kafkahead » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:49 am

Fellow Webderlanders

Because of my busy schedule and forgetfulness, I haven't been able to stop by and jot down a line or two with you. I've come because something is aching at my heart (like it always does when I post) and I thought that removing it might be benificial to me: for all the times that I passed by and mentioned that I was "writing" or "was working on a story", I was lying. I haven't written in a long time.
To type this so freely and suddenly feels abrupt to me and leaves me feeling somewhat nervous, so I'll leave my post as fluently as I still can: as I mentioned, I haven't written at all in a long time, ever since I began a hunt for ideas every day, something that drove me mad until some of the local webderlanders gave me the rightful advice to just forget it, to let things come naturally. And so I did, and so did the ideas came to me: slowly, but reassuringly, I had new concepts to type, new stories that really meant something to me.
But as time went on, this relaxed stance became sloth: I refused to type in fear of freezing over, of getting stuck in the same alley corner where my head had been turned in the first vain search, and even reading (reading!) became tiring to me. I wouldn't pick up a book because the words either told me nothing (and I don't speak of ideas, either; plots felt hazy and grey, characters were blurs, without any charatheristic that made me distinguish them, even loved settings or favored authors were stale to my withered palate).
In truth, at the moment I feel down, as if the flame that I had had before burned out quickly, too tired to go on, but still I go. I still have ideas, but most of them seem false, without any naturality to them. A friend of mine, who I offered to work with on script, mentioned that my previous writing had both the "high concept" (which is to say, the fancy set-up to all stories, the cold scenario to be filled by human beings) and human warmth that complemented it. I fear that now it's more "high concept" than anything else.
To add insult to injury, I had a wonderfully odd sensation yesterday, when I was discussing literature with a friend of mine, and a slight tinge of that same flame returned, distant and dim, but as warm and safe as I remembered, as if to give me some goodbyes, before fading off. I still carry the memory of that moment, still wondering if I lost it or not.
I end this small confessional, so to speak, asking you for advice, for anything to get me back writing, to get back to that spot in front of the computer and type something, anything, as long as I can say that it was something born of my own hand, and not some fac-simile of it.

K.

Chuck Messer

Re: Writing

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:58 am

Let me cogitate on this one a bit.

Later, dude.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Sorry about the amount of time it's taken, Joao. It's kind of hard to tell from thousands of miles away, what's going on inside you. It may be that you're over thinking this problem. It may be that you are making this seem harder and more complex than it really is.

It's possible you might be suffering from clinical depression. It's dogged me for many years and it doesn't help you get anything done -- even things you enjoy. It's possible that your school provides counseling for students. If it does, then by all means, take advantage of it! You're still very young and have a lot more life ahead of you than behind, unlike me.

You might also need to distance yourself from your writing for a little while. Maybe turn it into a game, make it fun.

A book I'd recommend is Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury. If anyone would know, it'd be him.

Hang in there, kiddo.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:38 pm

I, too, think you might be depressed, Joao, and like Chuck I have been on that cul-de-sac. A drop-in visit to a counsellor or GP can give you a valuable outside perspective on your state of mind, and I'd recommend it.

As to specific creative advice, I believe there is no substitute for the physical act of making art--of typing, scrawling, printing in caps, sculpting, carving, finger-painting, composing, arranging, editing, playing, playacting, declaiming, yodeling; in short, of doing the thing. I think you have to sit and write, whether or not you have an idea or motivation, and whether you decide on any given day to keep a line of what you've put down. It's the process itself that allows you to search for your muse.

Just my two cents.

Best,
D.

Return to “The Moving Finger”