Dark and Stormy

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Dark and Stormy

Postby diane bartels » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:51 am

So I am taking this writing class at the Community College. And the in class writing assignment last week was the teacher gave us the well worn phrase "It was a dark and stormy night". And I had to start a story from there and write for three minutes. Then I had to stop and hand off the paper to the person on the right who continued my story while I continued the story of the other person next to me. It was fun and helpful and I wondered what this crowd would do with the concept. I will start it out but I am going to leave the intro of the main character or ers and the basic situation to whomever is intrigued. I think the writing limit per person of three to five minutes works well, but I am going to decree that any one can add a further contibution after one other person has posted. Did that make sense? Happy Halloween!

It was a dark and stormy night. Black clouds roiled across the gloomy sky, colliding occasionally like angry gods doing battle. Thunder crashed as lighting briefly illuminated the landscape. Rain deluged the landscape as though the earth herself wept. On this somber prophetic night, anything could happen: vampires could fly; ghosts again roam their old haunts; lovers could slay and killers could heal.
What would be the fate of anyone abroad at this tulmutuous time? Perhaps that was something only the battling gods themselves could decide.

Lori Koonce

Re: Dark and Stormy

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:16 pm

Diane

Sorry to interupt, but this reminded me of the Bulwer-lyton fiction contest heald yearly by San Jose State University here in California.

They give a small cash prize to the person who can write the worst opening line for a fake novel. You may want to get togther with a few of your classmates and enter.

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:56 am

(Hi Lori. No contests for me. least not yet)
Jasper viewed the slanting bursts of chill rain from out his front window with increasing dismay. Though providing ambience for tonite's event, the storm's severity put Maggie's arrival in question. At least her timely arrival.

(Now one of you guys are to supposed to take it from here. Kafka? C'mon. I'll mail anyone who does some(only slightly stale) peanut butter kisses.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:38 pm

You got your tail, Diane. No worries. ;)

In fact, he'd prepared the coffin, black mahogany and gold lining (silver had been spent on cloud coffins and bronze would seem too cheap), and sent the servants off to line it up on the dreary hall entrance, surrounding it with dismayed daffodils, petty petunias, homely hornbushes and other alliterated flora, circled by great vultures, colored with a diseased yellow.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:21 pm

The vultures wondered why human bothered with coffins in the first place. They knew that they and their carrion eating relations would be more than glad to dispose of the flesh, not knowing what to do with the bones of course.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:33 pm

The lovely bones. Just then a loud crash disturbed the chamber. Both Jasper and the lurking vulture were startled. Not to mention the belfry bats. At first, Jasper thought it was the thunder. But he soon realized that it had been the enormous door to the crypt slamming. Before he could stop himself, he gasped and recalled from the image before his eyes. It was Maggie, of course;but Maggie as he had never before seen her. And she had obviously been outside, as her clothes were drenched through. her long dark hair hung wetly about her shoulders.

(Kafka, i just realized the point of some of these creative writing exercises. I am not emotionally invested yet, so there is a freedom for my writing. And where the next person takes the story forces me to deal with the plot twists and character development. So no time for blocks. I love knowing how things work i'll pm you later.)

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:10 pm

Slowly, with a panther pace, Maggie tip-toed her way to Jasper, skin livid, eyes circled by large, wrinkled black bags and her beautiful dress (costume-made by the Marquis de Sade's very own tailor) in tatters, with great gashes in the fabric that now flapped like a dead flag. She reached for Jasper's neck and tried to kiss him. It was then that he saw the spider-thing on her chest. It looked like a flopped membrane, loose and dangling semi-consciously from her breast, suckling it. He could see blood accumulating at the rim of the thing's skin.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:53 am

"My God," he gasped. "You've done. You've really done it. I never believed you would really let that thing take you over, let those monsters into our life." And Jasper, suddenly pale as the cloud-obscured ivory moon, began to shudder.

Maggie smiled, her eyes darkly exultant, her smile slow and sinuous. "You have no idea. You can't imagine. It feels... The power. And the knowledge." And she laughed then, a laugh that echoed triumphantly through the caverous room.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:30 pm

"The knowlege, Jasper. The time-and-space-spanning knowlege." A beatific smile beamed from her face.

"And I'll never be lonely again."
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:36 am

For a moment Jasper's shoulders hunched, his head hanging. Then painfully, he straightened his head. His eyes stared past her, not seeing her, seeing instead a far off future that did not include her. " I will not allow this to continue" he averred hollowly. A jangling thunder clap underlined his speech. "I will not allow them, it, to have you." He counted on her intoxication with the creature to slow her reflexes, delay her response.

But her senses, newly enhanced by her link with the thing, sharpened her love for life, the self-defense mechanism at the core of sentient beings. And then her sharpened rapier was in her hands. And the two lovers, suddenly death enemies, sqared off in the dark cavern. The thing at Maggie's breast hissed malignly

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:05 am

With his hands moving towards his coat's inner pocket, Jasper stepped firmly, but ever so slowly, backwards until he could feel the edge of the oak table he'd inherited along with the mansion; along with the servants. Along with the Things Under.
"You'll Stop right now, Maggie. It is my word, as Master of the House, that commands you to end this. And..." He couldn't help himself to finish the sentence. She was on him, pressing the rim of the blade gently against the neck's exposed skin. His arm froze with fear, while his possessed lover smiled. Maggie now had fangs spreading around open mouth, tipped with something brown, still warm and moist. Smelling of rusty iron and warm meat...
"And what, my dear? What else will your human word dissuade me from doing?" her voice was now a predator's whisper, gentle, dangerously playful. The spider-thing coiled around her waist like a conscious corset.
He tried not to breath, making gentle movements with the sunken hand: his arm had stopped, his fingers had not. Scuffling on the velvet, they found a shape, round and circular.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:59 am

Jasper was twelve when he first Tilled his sister Maggie.

“I love you, Jasper!” Maggie would whisper.

“Happy Birthday, Jasper!”

The Family would shout this silly chant every year on His Birthday. They would drink his blood and choke upon their own dust and drink rare wine, toasting to his fine flesh, sensitivity and taste.

Spoken by those young family members physically present, of course, and capable of human speech.

The Old Silent Ones added to these occasions in ways not immediately evident. Speaking among Themselves in black dimensional screams, they would shout “The Sub-Clan of Tirroth Will Survive! Must Survive!”

“Survive This Terrible Eternity.”

And now the unthinkable will continue the Clan. Sister will feed upon Brother, and She will breed the next Sub Clan. The forbidden fruit that All Tirroth Adepts have feared. The Sub Clan that will be the Final Mirror. The Final Clan of All Tirroth.

The Abomination Clan

And The Old Ones Hiss Malignly…

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:14 am

...round and circular...along with a small plastic bottle. With one quick movement, Jasper flung it out upon Maggie who shrieked and recoiled as the latex disk enlarged and enveloped her entire body.

"It is the condom of Ag Tirroth, that my Master's Word Commands!" shouted Jasper, squirting copious amounts of Aqualube from the small plastic bottle at whatever portions of Maggie had not yet been covered. Suffocating, the amoeba-vampire attached to her breast and waist dropped to the floor, where Jasper nailed it with an especially large glob of the personal lubricant as it screamed and writhed. Growing smaller and smaller, the "am-vam" finally vanished in a poof of vapor, smelling of rust and baby powder.

Maggie, meanwhile, now completely swathed in latex, like one of Christo's lesser installations, or perhaps a Matthew Barney piece, struggled to reach her rapier, which had fallen to the floor when she had been hit with the French Letter of Ag Tirroth. The ribbed latex hampered her movements just enough that Jasper could quickly duck under her stamping feet and retrieve it.

"Ha, ha! my clever, twisted sister", said Jasper, You forgot that we have a party of guests to attend to tonight, before the ancient rituals of Ag Tirroth can be consummated. With that, he pulled a long bell pull conveniently located to the right of Maggie's breast. The bell pull fell down.

"Oh fuck!" said Jasper, as he picked up a hammer and rang a huge gong in the center of the room.

A seven foot tall manservant dressed in steampunk drag with bunny ears stepped into the room, along with 105 Thai children in traditional costume, a unicorn, a muscular bald man in pajamas, an English schoolmistress, a French plantation owner, a blond bimbo from Little Rock Ark., a Tonganese woman, a barker from a circus, two turn--of-the--century mill workers, a young blonde nun, seven singing Austrian children, a Captain from the Highly Dubious Austrian Navy (it's a landlocked country), and a Marine Lieutenant from WWII.

"If you stop acting like a ninny, I'll let you out," said Jasper to Maggie.

"I promise not to bite any of them, if that's what you mean; although I HATE children! Especially unnaturally happy children who sing all the time." snarled Maggie.

"Yes, but these sing about goat turds," said Jasper. "Right up your alley--so to speak."

Maggie rolled her eyes at him, he squirted her with the Aqualube and pulled -- and the French Letter of Ag Tirroth whipped right off, rolling itself off as it did so, and shrinking down to pocket size once more. "Quite handy, this thing" thought Jasper.

Meanwhile, the guests were distracted by the Matthew Barney artwork taking place before their eyes:

A funeral-like procession of fishermen carried the case up a winding set of stairs. At one point, a dead shark was laid on the case, and the fishermen proceeded to the gallery space, carrying the case and shark, accompanied by the onlookers and a herd of goats. At the Slaughterhouse, the case was opened, water poured out, and the drawings revealed. The shark was eventually cooked and fed to the guests.

As if on cue, all the children barfed.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Return to “The Moving Finger”