A daring move?

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

Kafkahead

A daring move?

Postby Kafkahead » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:42 am

Kafka here

I've decided to do something a bit more professional than writing a story: selling it. I'm thinking of selling the story I'm working on to the SF market, speciffically to either "Analog" or "Asimov's". However, there are spanners in my work, which are:

a)-The Atlantic Ocean separating me from this side of the world to that one

b)-The lack of any money to send it via airlines

With these two, I'll never get anywhere. That is why I decided to ask any of you, anyone here with the same type of aspirations that I have, I ask of you only this: to sell the story for me. Reply to me, so I can explain in detail what exactly I have in mind. This is something really important for me, and I can't do it alone, not at least without some help.

K.

swp

Re: A daring move?

Postby swp » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:19 pm

you aren't being ignored, it is under consideration. legal things would need to be set up to protect both sides.

your best bet is to get Adam-Troy Castro to help you, I think. IF he is willing.

after him, several of us *might* be able to help, if we have the time etc. etc. etc.

understand: you are asking for someone to be your agent. professionals who do that for a living charge more than you can afford most likely, so you will be getting good-hearted and well-meant amateur profferings AT BEST.
swp

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Wait, wait, wait...Under consideration? Wow...So fast...I mean, the consideration part, not the actual agent part.
Thanks, swp. I'm a bit ecstatic. Excuse me, got to write more.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Kafkahead wrote:Kafka here
I've decided to do something a bit more professional than writing a story: selling it. I'm thinking of selling the story I'm working on to the SF market, speciffically to either "Analog" or "Asimov's". However, there are spanners in my work, which are:
a)-The Atlantic Ocean separating me from this side of the world to that one
b)-The lack of any money to send it via airlines
http://www.analogsf.com/information/submissions.shtml

"Analog will consider material submitted by any writer, and consider it solely on the basis of merit. We are definitely eager to find and develop new, capable writers. "

"Manuscript Format Manuscripts must be computer-printed or typed, double-spaced, on white paper, one side of the sheet only. Please avoid unusual or very small typefaces. Indent paragraphs but do not leave extra space between them. Please do not put manuscripts in binders or folders. We do not accept e-mail or fax submissions.
Author's name and address should be on the first page of the manuscript. No material submitted can be returned or acknowledged unless accompanied by sufficient postage, stamped and addressed envelope (not a postcard), or stamped International Reply Coupons. No simultaneous submissions please.

Payment Analog pays 6-8 cents per word for short stories up to 7,500 words, $450-600 for stories between 7,500 and 10,000 words, and 5-6 cents per word for longer material. We prefer lengths between 2,000 and 7,000 words for shorts, 10,000-20,000 words for novelettes, and 40,000-80,000 for serials. Fact articles are paid for at the rate of 6 cents per word.
Other Information Please query first on serials only. A complete manuscript is strongly preferred for all shorter lengths.
Payment is on acceptance.

Our Editorial Address Dell Magazines
Stanley Schmidt, Editor
267 Broadway, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10007-2352
E-mail: analog@dellmagazines.com "
follow your bliss,mike

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Joao, you shouldn't write in a second language at your age - if at all, do it later. Native English speakers run circles around you (and me) at Asimov's etc.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:10 pm

Jan wrote:Joao, you shouldn't write in a second language at your age - if at all, do it later. Native English speakers run circles around you (and me) at Asimov's etc.

Well, then...I guess I might just use a pseudonym and tell them that I'm living in Portugal as of last 2009. Maybe "Ronald Duncan". That should do the trick.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Kafkahead --

if you want to submit a story to Analog, and you trust me, you can always e-mail it to me. Insha'Allah, I'll print it out and mail it and send you the tracking number and well...the rest is in the lap of Allah!

Gwyneth
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Return to “The Moving Finger”