Doubts on Writing

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

Kafkahead

Doubts on Writing

Postby Kafkahead » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:34 pm

Kafka here, with some big doubts looming over my head. :?

Just read on webderland Harlan's opinion on using a computer for creative fiction. I'm confused: I know (in a manner that is not intentionally vain) that I have some skill on the art of writing, managing to write a good 1000 words a day. However, that's beside the point when Mr. Ellison says that computers make writing a whole lot easier (or at least, leaves the writers themselves off guard to the act of writing). Does that mean that, even with my skill, I have less credibility because of the ease of using a computer, instead of a typewriter?

swp

Re: Doubts on Writing

Postby swp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Kafkahead wrote:Kafka here, with some big doubts looming over my head. :?

Just read on webderland Harlan's opinion on using a computer for creative fiction. I'm confused: I know (in a manner that is not intentionally vain) that I have some skill on the art of writing, managing to write a good 1000 words a day. However, that's beside the point when Mr. Ellison says that computers make writing a whole lot easier (or at least, leaves the writers themselves off guard to the act of writing). Does that mean that, even with my skill, I have less credibility because of the ease of using a computer, instead of a typewriter?

I think it means you can hit backspace or do a spellcheck instead of thinking about your craft while performing it.

Harlan is one of the few left who still use a manual typewriter. Stephen King uses a computer. Piers Anothy uses a pencil (!!) and then transcribes onto his computer. To each his own.
swp

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:30 pm

You should write on whatever device you're comfortable. Harlan didn't grow up with computers and is less comfortable with them, that's all.

Complex

Postby Complex » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:25 pm

You know I heard that even Charles Bukowsky switched on computer if that makes you feel more comfortable.

But there is also some goofy movie with Harvey Keitel and Joshua Jackson, "Shadow Dancer", where Keitel plays this great American writer in some rural town and Jackson comes to visit him because he wants to be like this giant writer. So Keitel starts giving him writing advices and throws his computer because "Writing should not be easy" and they end up at some lake with Keitel getting naked and Jackson all blushy at which point I could not stand it anymore but maybe you'll find some answer in that movie.

I also remember David Sedaris insisting that only writing on typewriter is good writing and how you may only write trash but at least you'll bring down a small forest and how people are constantly telling him to switch to computer especially in motels where other people can't sleep because of typing noise.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Hon

Try this: Take the best 1000 words you've ever written with your computer and transcribe them. Whatever ink color and paper type is up to you.

I bet those 1000 words aren't going to be any different in in than they are in pixels.

What I'm trying to say is that it's more important that you WRITE, now how you get it done!

I mean, as long as my autographed First Edition of your first book is in English, I'm not really gonna give a hoot how you wrote it!

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:26 pm

You're really hot for the autographed first editions this week. :-P

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:04 am

Use the writing instrument that works for you. That is the one and only rule when it comes to writing tools.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:19 pm

FinderDoug wrote:You're really hot for the autographed first editions this week. :-P

Well, it seems like I'm finding a lot of up and coming authors Doug. So why not make it a pastime?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Well, it seems like I'm finding a lot of up and coming authors Doug. So why not make it a pastime?

It's got to be easier and cheaper than the famous or dead ones. And I have to cop to the signed first of Joe Hill's new one, Horns, that I went out of my way to get, so - yeah, I can dig it.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

*giggle*

While I'm thinking about it, hows YOUR book coming along? *giving Doug a HUGE shit eating grin*

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:50 am

While I'm thinking about it, hows YOUR book coming along?

Well, having evaluated all of the longer works in progress, I've settled on one to throw my weight behind (and the winner, after careful consideration, is... House of the Hours). I added 1,100 new words to it Monday night; last night was given over to general life mayhem (laundry/dinner/dishes/filing bills/wrapping up that pesky eBay auction) and a little reading before bed (Charles Beaumont's The Intruder). Tonight, my cousin and I have company at the apartment and I'm making stuffed shells, plus I need to pack for this weekend's Houston trip, so I won't be picking up the threads again until Thursday, when I will have Forced Creative Recreation Time at 30,000+ feet for three and a half hours (plus an hour of terminal time). Same on the way back. I can make a lot of mess in seven hours. :) I find time spent aloft to be stupidly good for me and my muse - like an airborne study hall. All those years doing homework on the school bus prepared me for working in turbulence and with crying children around me. The noise-canceling headphones and the iPod full of rock/pop/jazz/soundtracks also help. I've yet to find the child that could out-blow Coltrane.

Anyway - total word count, draft one, is up to 13k. If that's 20k by next week, I'll be a happy little writer. I have half of the remainder solidly plotted, the other half more loosely, and I'm in the middle of putting down the first draft of the last chapter, so I have a fair idea of where I need to land in order to get a 9.9 from the Russian judge.

There is one short story I want to finish before I go all the way down this rabbit hole, but it's been 'in progress' for the last four years, so it can simmer a little longer. Discipline first. Juggling later. In the middle of this is the contemplation of the overall Finder Doug Business Plan, not the least of which is finally getting my website under me. I only registered the domain in, um, 2003. Maybe I can throw some work my nephew's way... he's handy with the HTML...

Complex

Postby Complex » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:23 am

Here's a typewriter that even Harlan Ellison wouldn't have remorse of using it: it's old fashion typewriter with a screen and possibilities that of a modern computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EozwYbMTtS0&feature

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:44 am

After cuneiform and hieroglyphics literature went to shit.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:01 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:After cuneiform and hieroglyphics literature went to shit.

The bromance of Gilgamesh and Enkidu and the melodrama of the Egyptian myths used up all the available plots, everything else is recycled. But art in different hands plays out in different ways. Take for example a story about a man and a whale. One writer created "Moby Dick", another "Free Willy". :lol:
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:After cuneiform and hieroglyphics literature went to shit.
the advent of words may represent only babel
even grunts and mime are open to interpretation
charades or:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-a_5JdyLhg
follow your bliss,mike

Return to “The Moving Finger”