Dear Diary …

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

Samuel John Klein

Dear Diary …

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:58 am

I keep one. Do you guys?

Does it help you?

Do you write in it to sort things out? Do you write in it to keep your handwriting in trim (I do)? Do you write it to try out how words look (I certainly do – some words are "prettier" than others)? Do you try out story ideas (hey, why not?)?

Do you call it a diary, or, if you're a manly dude, do you call it a "journal" (I steadfastly refuse affectation – my diary, it's a diary).

Do you?
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

Douglas Harrison

Re: Dear Diary …

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:14 am

When I feel like writing poetry outside my apartment, I carry a notebook with me. I find it less cumbersome than a laptop. Sometimes I get a whole poem down in the book; more often I'm left with half of one--work I'll finish on my home computer.

D.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:52 am

I just do it because I love to write about what's happened to me and what I think about it.

I'm also smug and snotty about my exemplary italic handwriting.

I do some drawings as well.

It's a playground for my mind.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:11 am

Douglas Harrison wrote:... work I'll finish on my home computer.

Should be, "... work I finish on my home computer."

I never make these kind of mistakes in my notebook.

-----------------------------

I, too, like my handwriting, Sam. Sometimes it's nice to enjoy the feel of forming the letters.

D.

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:28 am

D.H. wrote:When I feel like writing poetry

Preposterous.
D.H. wrote:I carry a notebook with me.

And a rhyming dictionary.
D.H. wrote:Sometimes I get a whole poem down in the book

You're a truck driver, accept it.

---
Getting back to Sam's question, I tried various things over the years. These days I am
1) keeping a brief, superficial, incomplete multi-purpose record (diary) of my daily misadventures. Like yesterday:
7.9. Mo. 8-14 mechanics here KFE-valve heating, silicone sealing tub, decalcification, new gasket toilet, tap, shower head; rest; 16h physical, then injection; Unbreakable finished
I may add a few hints about my state of mind (if not obvious), subjects of conversations and so on.
Doesn't look like much, but in conjunction with what I wrote the previous days and weeks it will be pretty obvious to me later what this time was like. I don't need to repeat every day that I have construction noise from next door, for example, or what's on my mind.
2) keeping a notebook divided into scattered sections for writing, ideas, thoughts/quotations, some sections for travels, facts, words, projects, genres, things to look into, things to buy and so on.
In my case correspondence, photography and writing are also part of this whole effort to preserve things one might forget, and those areas don't need to overlap. In your case the blog, art etc.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:26 pm

Jan's diary looks like the one featured in the opening credits to the movie Se7en. :P

Jan wrote:You're a truck driver, accept it.

I'm more of an unemployed person than a truck driver. That makes me ideal poet material.

D.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 am

Douglas Harrison wrote:Jan's diary looks like the one featured in the opening credits to the movie Se7en. :P

I'm more of an unemployed person than a truck driver. That makes me ideal poet material.

D.

It's fantastic to know that. Always wondered what sort of stuff poets were made of, really.

Unemployed truck drivers.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:53 am

Jan wrote:Getting back to Sam's question, I tried various things over the years. These days I am
1) keeping a brief, superficial, incomplete multi-purpose record (diary) of my daily misadventures. Like yesterday:
7.9. Mo. 8-14 mechanics here KFE-valve heating, silicone sealing tub, decalcification, new gasket toilet, tap, shower head; rest; 16h physical, then injection; Unbreakable finished
I may add a few hints about my state of mind (if not obvious), subjects of conversations and so on.
Doesn't look like much, but in conjunction with what I wrote the previous days and weeks it will be pretty obvious to me later what this time was like. I don't need to repeat every day that I have construction noise from next door, for example, or what's on my mind.
2) keeping a notebook divided into scattered sections for writing, ideas, thoughts/quotations, some sections for travels, facts, words, projects, genres, things to look into, things to buy and so on.
In my case correspondence, photography and writing are also part of this whole effort to preserve things one might forget, and those areas don't need to overlap. In your case the blog, art etc.

That's an amazingly courageous thing to do, to put up a photo of your open diary. Your life, it is an open book!

I have two diaraies really, one, the big one is, when I want to go long-form, and rattle on. As an intentional quirk, I time and date everything by UTC (a/k/a and incorrectly so, "Greenwich Mean Time"). The other one is one of those little pocket-size "moleskine-oids" (not an actual Moleskine, you have to be a little bit more moneyed than I do afford such) that I can whip out and dash down sentence fragments.

I just love doing the actual writing, whether it be something mundane or some pretension to literary … stuff.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Me too, like writing in longhand but don't get the chance much. The only longhand I do these days is my signature. So I make sure there's no piece of paper it's not on at least twice. Webderland should switch to longhand. Let's post something in handwriting, everyone.
My latest Moleskine is falling apart and has been since I first opened it. There's exactly one thread left holding it together.
I didn't say that's my notebook. It could be the dog's or my butler's.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:50 am

Diaries are for serial killers and girls. haha.

Hugs.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:51 am

Jan will bucketdance me, so I will say sorry.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Samuel John Klein wrote:
Douglas Harrison wrote:

D.

It's fantastic to know that. Always wondered what sort of stuff poets were made of, really.

Unemployed truck drivers.

I've landed a dispatching job just to mess with you guys.

D.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 am

Frank, you know who else keeps diaries? Just about every outstanding figure in arts, politics, and some sciences, and not even only outstanding ones, since all the way back when paper was invented, unless you count cave paintings.
The fact that you don't keep one is no surprise, nor that you would find your joke funny and not too embarrasing to write down.
Sam is a relatively new guy here and in case you haven't noticed, he's been talking on a level above yours, so the less appearances you make in his threads, the less embarrassed we all have to be for being part of this.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:18 am

Frank, you know who else keeps diaries? Just about every outstanding figure in arts, politics, and some sciences

And Jan's dog. AND his butler. :D

I've never kept one for very long. On the two occasions I have, life proceeded to go to shit around me after I began; short of that seeming cause-and-effect, looking back on them later, I found a me who was generally miserable and kinda bleak and who I really didn't want hanging around my head space now that he'd gone. They ARE a part of me, and clearly nostalgia-aged now, so I still keep them - not like the fiery destruction of letters from M. gathered over a dozen years, which was required for my peace of mind and my ability to move on from that train wreck of the socially retarded. THOSE needed termination.

Return to “The Moving Finger”