What a World

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

K. M. Kirby

What a World

Postby K. M. Kirby » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Who would *choose* to live in a world where stuff like this happens:

"A sharp, crackling command and the file of twelve men assumed rigid positions at attention. Another command, and their rifles were at their shoulders; each man gazed down his barrel at the breast of the women which was the target.
She did not move a muscle.
The underofficer in charge had moved to a position where from the corners of their eyes they could see him. His sword was extended in the air.
It dropped. The sun - by this time up - flashed on the burnished blade as it described an arc in falling. Simultaneously the sound of the volley rang out. Flame and a tiny puff of greyish smoke issued from the muzzle of each rifle. Automatically the men dropped their arms.
At the report Mata Hari fell. She did not die as actors and moving picture stars would have us believe that people die when they are shot. She did not throw up her hands nor did she plunge straight forward or straight back.
Instead she seemed to collapse. Slowly, inertly, she settled to her knees, her head up always, and without the slightest change of expression on her face. For the fraction of a second it seemed she tottered there, on her knees, gazing directly at those who had taken her life. Then she fell backward, bending at the waist, with her legs doubled up beneath her. She lay prone, motionless, with her face turned towards the sky.
A non-commissioned officer, who accompanied a lieutenant, drew his revolver from the big, black holster strapped about his waist. Bending over, he placed the muzzle of the revolver almost - but not quite - against the left temple of the spy. He pulled the trigger, and the bullet tore into the brain of the woman.
Mata Hari was surely dead."

--from an eyewitness, bystander
--kk

David Silver

Re: What a World

Postby David Silver » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Uh, and the other choices are...?
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:48 am

Try Medea.

As a balloon creature or a fux.

Anyway, it just seemed so sad to me, at the time, that Mata Hari's pardon didn't come through.
--kk

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:32 pm

Especially since she was, in truth, a lousy spy that didn't pass much useful information to anyone, if any. She was simply play-acting.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Mati Hari had great fashion sense. That's all that matters.

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:55 pm

She was truly being used, in every sense of the word. Unfortunately, there was no French Dudley Do-right to make the daring, last moment rescue attempt. Too many eyewitnesses standing around, you know the old story, doing nothing.

Possibly the government was hoping to cover up the whole thing by shooting her up; wound up creating a legendary character instead.
--kk

K. M. Kirby

The Turkish Drop

Postby K. M. Kirby » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:01 pm

footnote:

after doing some research into the world of belly dancing, one finds that the maneuver which marguerite does at the very end--that bent-back-at-the-knees stare into heaven--is known as The Turkish Drop.

Takes a tad of skill, that one.

Not the easiest
--kk

robertatennant

Postby robertatennant » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 am

There don't seem to be a lot of posts here, and I have no idea what to say, so I will comment on this one, which I found moving and powerful. I do identify with the words of the person who posted it: What a world is right. Tragic and ironic, but ultimately a compelling tale from history. Sincerely, Roberta

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:15 pm

“Mata Hari, Mata Hari — oh what a wicked girl was she! That’s the kind of girl I’ll never be!” What were her crimes? “Mata Hari had a very wicked reputation. She was willing to be thrilling for her information.”

K. M. Kirby wrote:She lay prone, motionless, with her face turned towards the sky.

That should be "...She lay supine..."

Prone is lying face down.

Unless the point is that she had a C1 fracture and her skull was turned completely around on her spine.

Ick. Daisies. Let's talk about Daisies.

Or Little Mary Sunshine. :P
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

robertatennant

Postby robertatennant » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:19 am

Little Mary Sunshine is a naughty girl, they say.
She ran in through the garden gate and chased the stars away.
She frightened all the bumbling bees and terrified the snake.
She stamped her little dainty foot and worlds began to shake.
She hasn't left off stamping and I think she never will
Till all the planets crumble and the Universe is still.

Return to “The Moving Finger”