QUESTION: Writing with a computer

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

QUESTION: Writing with a computer

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon May 12, 2008 8:01 am

Friends perhaps you can help me. I am shopping for a new computer and one of the factors in my choice will be the ease of writing with it.

Soooo...

Those of you who write using a computer in whatever medium, short stories, novel, essay, criticism, letters, reports, etc

What software do you use?

I am somewhat familiar with what's available for a PC. I use WORD on the piece 'o' crap system I have now.

Anybody use an APPLE?

What software do you use?

Any input is appreciated thanks!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

swp

Postby swp » Mon May 12, 2008 10:33 am

the new macbook pros are nice, and Open Office will handle your previous writing endeavors while providing you with a familiar interface. My only caveat is to get the biggest, baddest machine you can afford - it will take longer until you start calling it names as well 4-5 years from now.

click here for the overview
click here to buy one
swp

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon May 12, 2008 10:45 am

I've been Mac-centric for years; I currently run a MacBook Pro using the NeoOffice open-source software suite for cross-platform compatibility with the Windows world - handles my personal word processing on the laptop, and provides me with the ability to open/save MS Word / Excel formats for school assignments that need to be delivered electronically.

Bonus for the ease with which it acquires wireless networks (something that the PC users on campus and in the classrooms on M Street often struggle mightily with.)

I run the same basic set-up on the iMac at home, except for the dedicated cable modem.

The two of them have been among the most stable platforms I've ever run. Of course, they're also both 99% Microsoft free.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon May 12, 2008 11:02 am

"With a name like Microsoft, it doesn't have to be good."
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon May 12, 2008 2:54 pm

Yeah I've been leaning Applewards definitely myself. I use a PC professionally and I'm intimate with Microsoft's "quirks".

swp good point. I'm shooting for a system that will hold up in the long run. I'm simply not interested in replacing my system every three years.

The cross platform downloads look interesting. Anybody actually tried the Mac stuff though? IWork?

Getting the system is the easy part. The hard part is getting an internet connection here that doesn't cost out the butt.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon May 12, 2008 4:09 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Getting the system is the easy part. The hard part is getting an internet connection here that doesn't cost out the butt.

Hi, Ezra,
When I went shopping for my Mac (I have an elderly iBookG4 that has served me mightily these many years), I asked several different techs at the store which ISP they recommended. Then I called several Mac repair stores and asked the same question (after mentioning that I needed some files transfered and asking for a price quote). I found a good service that provided super wireless connection, with phone and cable bundled in. It worked out to be only about $20 more than my monthly phone bill.
Hope some of this helps.
Kind regards,
Gwyneth

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue May 13, 2008 12:35 pm

For me it's all apples and oranges. there are some things that a Mac does well, like graphics, and some that a PC does well...

With that being said, how important is being able to take your work to another computer? Open Office works on both the Mac and the PC, so you could always use what ever computer was available that way.

Otherwise it's all a matter of choice. Ya gotta choose what will be the best for you at the price you can afford.
Life, love and all the chocolate you can eat

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed May 14, 2008 8:25 am

Thanks everybody!!!

alexanderthesoso

Postby alexanderthesoso » Wed May 14, 2008 11:55 pm

i may be a little late, but, STAY AWAY FROM VISTA.

my god, what a dog.

That said, i always go pc, becuase, well, I'm POOR. I cant afford a mac.

As for software, I just use notepad. Most of my writing is getting posted online these days, so i copy and paste, and let firefox handle my spell checking.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 am

I use an iMac for most everything I do, and I would never, ever switch back to a PC. Far fewer bugs and security problems, an easier and more comprehensive interface, streamlined multimedia options, etc., etc., etc. What it's saved me in lost time has more than made up for the higher sticker price.

I use OpenOffice.org to manage Microsoft Office files. It's free software under LGPL.

Pages is the word processor that came with my iMac, and while it took some time to get used to, its help files are excellent.

D.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 15, 2008 8:33 am

I use a PC at work, and a Mac at home.

No contest. Mac.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 15, 2008 4:33 pm

Yeah the handwriting is on the fruit is it not?

Funny the mention of VISTA. There was an article in the paper about how XP is still selling like hotcakes. Apparently VISTA is really user friendless.

alexanderthesoso

Re: QUESTION: Writing with a computer

Postby alexanderthesoso » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:19 pm

I do most of my writing on a webforum I set up for myself, using FireFox, so it has a built in spell check as I type. I really don't see the need for fancy software unless I'm doing page layout. That way too, I can access it anywhere with internet access, from any computer.

Return to “The Moving Finger”