Words.

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

addlepate

Words.

Postby addlepate » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:06 pm

Words are very useful, in the course of writing.

I need some words.

Well why don't you use the dictionary!
(it's not a real question, so it doesn't deserve to touch the sultry curves of the question-mark)

Because dictionaries, unfortunately, don't work backwards; I can't start at the definition of what I'm after and then proceed to the word itself.

Well use a thesaurus then!

I think it's bad practice to use a thesaurus instead of imagination, but I do agree that they're valuable tools -- but, trust me, when you see my specific questions, I think you'll understand why the thesaurus was of no use to me.

I just need two words right now. If I don't catch too much shit for asking for these two, maybe I'll ask more later, after, of course, making every attempt to find them on my own. I wouldn't ask these, but they've been giving me trouble for months.

Did I mention I went to a shitty highschool? That's my excuse.

The first:
Is there a word - in Arabic, preferably, in English if not, in French if neither English nor Arabic, but in any case definitely not in Russian, Chinese, Portugeuse or Esperanto - that, as a singular word, or compact and (regionally) common phrase, means or describes the uniquely Middle-Eastern vocalization of celebration and/or derision produced by howling an elongated and high-pitched "oo"-sound while flipping the tongue against the roof of the mouth rapidly?

The second:
A singular word, in English or any tongue in the family of the romance languages, which can mean something rather like, "an unsuccessful attempt at making a humourous comment intended to denigrate another person." There simply must be a word in some language for that - because it happens so often. How useful it would be to know that word. Imagine, "Jeff, you totally _____ed that bon mot."

thanks maybe
:) :) :) :) :( :) :)

David W. Pareis

Postby David W. Pareis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:08 am

The first:
Is there a word - in Arabic, preferably, in English if not, in French if neither English nor Arabic, but in any case definitely not in Russian, Chinese, Portugeuse or Esperanto - that, as a singular word, or compact and (regionally) common phrase, means or describes the uniquely Middle-Eastern vocalization of celebration and/or derision produced by howling an elongated and high-pitched "oo"-sound while flipping the tongue against the roof of the mouth rapidly?

uvulate
Anybody who needs Bob Dylan to tell him which way the wind is blowing is a serious mental defective.

Sterling Morrison

Pablo picasso never got called an asshole
Not like you
jonathan richman

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:11 pm

You mean "ululate," David.

Also, addlepate, the practice is not uniquely Middle Eastern. I believe you can find it in South Asia and Africa, as well.

D.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:38 am

Or maybe ovulate.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:14 pm

Now that's a sound that's as interesting to hear as it is to watch being produced.

Yes. I went there.
The medium is the message.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:10 pm

Can I buy a vowel?

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:25 pm

You can have an 'A' for free:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got lots.

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:25 pm

Words don't come easy
To me
How can I find a way
to make you see - I love you
Words don't come easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6hM6f9U4s

alexanderthesoso

Postby alexanderthesoso » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:37 pm

for your second definition, I would use blew.

Tom chuckled, clapping his grinning friend on the shoulder. "Jeffery," he stuttered between giggles, "Jeffery, you totally blew that!"

Jeffery's grin vanished, and his cheeks blossomed crimson, as he realized his friend was laughing AT him, not with him.

Return to “The Moving Finger”