commemorative book?

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

Anthony Ravenscroft

commemorative book?

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:46 am

I'm going to dump this outta my disordered mind & get some sort of input from whoever still reads this far down.

I've got a partial stake in this little publishing company that does rather nice tradesize paperbacks. Therefore, I've got a little leeway to champion a "hobbyhorse" project here & there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ellison's coming up on 75. I'm interested in any ideas to put out a tribute volume, stories that the writer feels could not have happened without Harlan Ellison's influence. I'd rather avoid "Harlan Ellison changed my life" details as they'll probably start to sound alike after the first few.

Overall, the goal would be to amuse ourselves & trade some evidence of the influence. I've talked to my partners & they're totally open to whether this would be commercially available, one-shot small run, or limited edition, with or without ISBN -- input welcomed.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:18 am

Nice gesture.

Wasn't THE BOOK OF ELLISON sort of a tribute? I think a book of the kind should mainly contain essays and analyses, as well as some hard to find Ellison items.

Any writer who was influenced by Ellison would be hard pressed to provide a specific example because literary influence is subtle. When it's not, the stories are probably no good.

Info about said book: http://www.islets.net/essays/bookofellison.html

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Um... Jan, are we talking about the same book? You mean that ghastly yellowish thing that resides on my shelf?

Firstly, that was 30 years ago. Okay, a mere hiccup in your eternal persistence, but us mere mortals ascribe terms like "a generation ago" to that sort of span.

Second, I can't find the reference, but I thought I heard Ellison refer disparagingly to this -- did the editors actually obtain rights to the articles they dug up?

Third, it's only got like a half-dozen essays from others. I'm still scratching my head over whether Gerrold likes or loathes Ellison.

Fourth, they're Big Names, Heavy Hitters. What I'd like to do is have a bunch of literate contributors who might be recognised hereabouts but are hardly Fannish Household Names.

I'd just as soon avoid the "Tales of Harlan the Scamp" because so many aren't true, & even the outright lies that manage to capture HE's aura present a veresimilitude problem, not to mention being questionable in a "tribute" book.

So, y'see, I feel as though I've got a nice idea, the means to produce it, & there I am, idling at the intersection waiting for the light to turn green.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:37 pm

By no means did I mean to imply that the existence of a previous book would make your idea obsolete. I was just poining out it existed since you made no reference to it and thought it might help you clarifiy your ideas if you took a look at it.

So I was wrong, I regret bringing up such an unworthy book and hope that the others have feedback that is more helpful.

Bud Webster

Postby Bud Webster » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:15 pm

Anthony Ravenscroft wrote:Second, I can't find the reference, but I thought I heard Ellison refer disparagingly to this -- did the editors actually obtain rights to the articles they dug up?

As I recall it, Harlan didn't object to the original printing, but the second one, for which he was neither consulted nor compensated. Yes, Andy Porter did have the rights to the material, much of which had appeared in his Starship/Algol semi-prozine, but he did not have the right to reprint the book. There may have been other irregularities, it's been years since I asked Harlan about it.
I am large; I contain multitudes.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:54 pm

Sounds cool. Wish I could participate, but it sounds like it's not the kind of writing I do.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David W. Pareis

Postby David W. Pareis » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:41 pm

Seems to me that the first thing you would need to do would be securing permission to use Ellison's copywrited name in connection with the book.
This may also apply to anyone contibuting to the book as well.
It is feasable that the use of Ellison's name maybe costly, so your partners may be less inclined to go to any great expense for a vainity run.
Also, it is very likely that Ellison would want some final say on the content.
Anybody who needs Bob Dylan to tell him which way the wind is blowing is a serious mental defective.

Sterling Morrison

Pablo picasso never got called an asshole
Not like you
jonathan richman

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:39 am

For what it's worth, I'll offer to shoot the man ... err, his picture ... for picture credit only -- if Harlan agrees to the tome, of course. I do believe there'd be interest in such a book, but it would depend upon who was writing the memories, and if Harlan was a willing participant.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:47 am

It would have to include selections from Harlan's best posts in the Pavilion.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:21 pm

Harlan would have written something like that by now. I doubt he would go for it. The documentary should give all the clues that need to be given. I do think Harlan wants to keep a bit of himself private forever. Mystery is good for the writer.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Harlan would have written his own tribute book?

Return to “The Moving Finger”