Publication The First

A forum for those interested in the craft and art of writing.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Publication The First

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:12 pm

I hate the muthafuggin dark.

So begins an epic journey years in the making - well, okay, if I'd gotten off my dead ass and applied myself a little more vigorously going all the way back to college, it might have been a little sooner than now... BUT -

My first fiction-for-pay publication landed on newsstands back in the beginning of August. The Poe-flavored horror tale "Mister Eddie" was published in issue #27 of the Minneapolis-based magazine "Tales of the Unanticipated".

Those of you within the sound of my keystrokes in the Minneapolis area can most assuredly pick it up at DreamHaven, if you want to take a gander in time for the Halloween season.

Those of you outside the Minneapolis area - I can tell you that the cover price is $8.50, shipping ran $1 for the previous issue (and for each of my additional copies of this issue), and my additional issue order went to the same address as their subscription services - TOTU-INK, PO Box 1099, Minnetonka, MN 55345. Their site offers a Paypal option, but to date hasn't been updated to reflect the new issue. (You could mail order from DreamHaven if you so desired, but the postage is a whopping $7.50, and why not go direct to the magazine anyway if you can?)

One down. I could be happy if it wound up being 80 or so to go.

Meanwhile, Zoetrope All-Story bounced one last month, but with a personal note to "Send more later", so I'll take latent encouragement from an upper crust fiction magazine and feed it into the fire. Burn, baby, burn.
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." -- Anton Chekhov

Victoria Silverwolf

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:50 am

Good for you! :D

I've read quite a few issues of Tales of the Unanticipated, although not for some years now, and there have been some very good stories in there.

Keep up the good work!
Reality is a crutch for people who can't face up to science fiction.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:05 am

The important issue is how much did you get paid?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:35 pm

Thanks, Victoria!

Frank - Let me put it this way: I'm still working hard on the next three stories, so you can assume it wasn't Retire Tomorrow money. Now, stop being ill-mannered. That's a good lad.
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." -- Anton Chekhov

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:40 pm

Hey, wasn't it Hemmingway who said you had to get 90 rejection letters before making the first sale? You are one for one! Way to go! :D
Hope to hear of more sales soon!
Post something to the boards and...digging toe into the ground... wanna play in the Shadows of Eternity sandbox?
Gwynnie
P.S. Have FUN!!!!!!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:47 pm

I mentioned that because got real agitated at someone the other day about that.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:16 pm

I meant, Harlan got agitated at someone who didn't get paid for something they wrote.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:20 pm

Oh, believe me Frank - that was an early lesson da man imparted to me. The first question he asked when I told him I'd made the sale was "For real money?" so, yeah. But I appreciate the concern.

Gwyneth - I'm closer to one for eight after a long hiatus, but I'm looking to boost the average. Can't promise I'll play in the SoE sandbox (I'm actually working to get something cleaned up for an open reading window this month), but if I need to blow off a little four word steam, maybe.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:23 am

FD: bastid! Gon' kick yo tail on Zoetrope yet!

And in similar sincerity, congrats. I saw Eric Heideman at Minicon -- TOTU is not an easy market to crack, & deserves far wider reach

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:12 am

Congratulations Doug! May this be the first of many. And may someone buy the movie rights soon.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

A Wasted Mind

Postby A Wasted Mind » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:22 am

Congratulations!

What does it feel like?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:35 am

Anthony - Thanks. The handwirtten Zoetrope note was a nice touch - they had the story I subbed for 9 months, so I'd like to believe they mulled it a long while before deciding it was a near miss for them. In any event, I have no clue what to fire off to them next.

Chuck - Thanks!

AWM - It's at turns exciting and weird. There's the kick of holding work in my hands, between covers of a magazine, and knowing that people who have absolutely no idea who I am are potentially picking it up off a newsstand, discovering it after reading three or four other things by people they've read and enjoy, and enjoying what I've put forth as well. And there's an insane amount of internal pressure to sell a second one to prove the first wasn't some weird fluke.

Otherwise? The routine is the routine, and the alarm still goes off at 5am, and while the Jabberwock has been slain, the slithy toves still gyre and gimble anyway.

JohnG

Postby JohnG » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:50 am

Congratulations, Doug, this is huge and very good news.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:43 am

Hey Doug,

Congrats on the sale. I will be heading over to Dreamhaven tomorrow to pick up my signed copy of Gaiman's new book, and will definitely grab a copy of Tales of the Unanticipated

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:18 pm

Give us a sample Douglas.

Return to “The Moving Finger”