THE DOCTOR...is in

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:18 pm

I know a gentleman, he is in his late seventies. He had a stroke and was back very soon. Harlan will be with us for a long time.

User avatar
Rick Keeney
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:09 pm

I know a kid in his...sixes...who makes me watch any Doctor Who episode that looks like it might be the least bit scary to him (he watches previews) so that I can tell him if it will make him poop himself or not. Venice vampires...poop. Pirates and mermaids from hell...poop. "Blink"...that one went alright.

User avatar
Rick Keeney
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:05 pm

I'm not geek enough to know (or care) what the initial fan reaction was to Donna the companion, but I think Catherine Tate was a brilliant casting choice. Such a vibrant, gritty character. Ben loves her too.

User avatar
Steve Evil
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Some Cave in Kanata
Contact:

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:42 am

Funny. . .I thought "Blink" was one of the scariest ones I've ever seen*. Again, kids have such different fear centres than adults.

Thought the last two episodes to be vast improvements ...











* Possibly the scariest episode ever was "The Rebel Flesh", though not for reasons you think. . .

User avatar
Rick Keeney
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Funny. . .I thought "Blink" was one of the scariest ones I've ever seen*. Again, kids have such different fear centres than adults.













agreed and agreed

User avatar
Rick Keeney
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:24 am

I haven't seen any of the new doctor. But I've read reviews. Is he turning it around? Anyone love or hate this guy?

User avatar
Steve Evil
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Some Cave in Kanata
Contact:

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:48 pm

I don't hate the fellow, but I really don't like the direction they seem to be taking him in - not just darker or colder, but at times, almost a sociopath. They seem to have alleviated this somewhat in the last two episodes, but we shall see. . .

User avatar
Ben W.
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Ben W. » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:58 pm

I bet DOCTOR WHO's more conservative fans are wailing in terror about the possibilities about Time Lords opened up by "Missy" in the latest episode.

User avatar
Steve Evil
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Some Cave in Kanata
Contact:

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Oh yes. I'm onto Moffat, I know exactly what he's got in mind. May the castrations begin. . .

User avatar
Ben W.
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Ben W. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Hey, if Moffat cast Helena Bonham Carter as Capaldi's successor, I'd be down with with a female Doc.

User avatar
Ezra Lb.
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:02 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:46 pm

I've been agitating for a female Doctor for years.

Tilda Swinton...yeah!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

User avatar
Steve Barber
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 am
Contact:

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Steve Barber » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:44 am

SPOILERS -- SPOILERS -- SPOILERS

(Sweetie)

Ezra Lb. wrote:I've been agitating for a female Doctor for years.

Tilda Swinton...yeah!


Now THAT would be great casting.

I'm wondering if The Mistress' return is something a bit different. First, why would a Time Lord -- even one as mad as The Master/Mistress (The Doctor/Donna?) link up with Cybermen. My guess is that these are not free-range Cybermen, but carefully controlled ones.

And as for Moffat's intent: this is looking more and more like a complete reset. I like the theory that Clara is going to join Danny in the afterlife. She's already had a tremendous impact on the Doctor's "world", and has died previously. A tragic death is not in her cards, but a sacrifice for love: yeah, that works.

The Mistress is likely to turn a mirror on the angry Doctor. He needs to reconnect with the Human Race, which is a relationship sorely lacking with Capaldi's Doctor. It's fascinating, though, watching his performance. Capaldi keep betraying a stronger sense of love for humans, particularly Clara, in the offhand moments. The way Moffat (and team) are writing him, it's almost as if he's testing his companion and her friends.

My guess is that The Doctor has a revelation, reinforced by the loss of Clara, which will drive him as humanity's defender for the next season or so.

I *AM* looking forward to the explanation as to how The Mistress escaped Gallifrey's fall and Rassilon's undoubtedly stern talking-to after being banished from Earth.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
Steve Barber
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 am
Contact:

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Steve Barber » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:45 am

Hmmm.

It just occurred to me. I wonder if River Song is in The Mistress' matrix.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
Ben W.
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 pm

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Ben W. » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Steve Barber wrote:I *AM* looking forward to the explanation as to how The Mistress escaped Gallifrey's fall and Rassilon's undoubtedly stern talking-to after being banished from Earth.


I wouldn't hold my breath. The Master has made an inexplicable return before without any sort of explanation as to how the hell he survived his previous "demise." (PLANET OF FIRE, anyone?)

User avatar
Steve Barber
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:02 am
Contact:

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Steve Barber » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:59 am

SPOILERS -- SPOILERS -- SPOILERS

(Sweetie)

Steve Barber wrote:
Ezra Lb. wrote:I've been agitating for a female Doctor for years.

Tilda Swinton...yeah!


Now THAT would be great casting.


Alas, we'll have to wait on that one. I thought the Nick Frost Santa Claus brought some interesting possibilities to the Christmas Special. We'll see.

Steve Barber wrote:I'm wondering if The Mistress' return is something a bit different. First, why would a Time Lord -- even one as mad as The Master/Mistress (The Doctor/Donna?) link up with Cybermen. My guess is that these are not free-range Cybermen, but carefully controlled ones.


Nailed that. (Pat on the back.) (However...)

Steve Barber wrote:And as for Moffat's intent: this is looking more and more like a complete reset. I like the theory that Clara is going to join Danny in the afterlife. She's already had a tremendous impact on the Doctor's "world", and has died previously. A tragic death is not in her cards, but a sacrifice for love: yeah, that works.


Yeah. Not thrilled with the "walking off into the sunset". I think it ends Clara's adventures with a clink rather than a bang. She may be back in the Christmas Special. but I'm not sure of that. Can Santa Claus do a reset if that's what The Doctor wants? That's a little too "Bobby in the shower" for me.

Steve Barber wrote:The Mistress is likely to turn a mirror on the angry Doctor. He needs to reconnect with the Human Race, which is a relationship sorely lacking with Capaldi's Doctor. It's fascinating, though, watching his performance. Capaldi keep betraying a stronger sense of love for humans, particularly Clara, in the offhand moments. The way Moffat (and team) are writing him, it's almost as if he's testing his companion and her friends.


Nailed it, sort of. The Mistress was clearly trying to hold up that mirror, but The Doctor managed to partially evade it and redeem himself and his opinion of mankind. I did like his overt anger at the coordinates of Gallifrey.

Steve Barber wrote:My guess is that The Doctor has a revelation, reinforced by the loss of Clara, which will drive him as humanity's defender for the next season or so.


Fingers crossed.

Steve Barber wrote:I *AM* looking forward to the explanation as to how The Mistress escaped Gallifrey's fall and Rassilon's undoubtedly stern talking-to after being banished from Earth.


Yeah, well. I'm still waiting. As Ben noted, I probably will be for some time.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.


Return to “Pop Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest