THE DOCTOR...is in

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Line of the day:

"A platoon of Judoon on the moon."

Also, someone on Minnehaha Parkway has constructed a pretty realistic life-sized Dalek in their yard. I'm going to get a pic with the kid if they'll allow it.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:06 am

Gee, I posted here last night and today my post is gone. Did I do something wrong?
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:20 am

Robert Nason wrote:Gee, I posted here last night and today my post is gone. Did I do something wrong?

Wasn't me...and Wyatt would've said something if he deleted it.

No idea what happened. You sure you hit "save"?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:31 pm

It was late at night, and who knows what tab I pressed by mistake. Damn.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Robert Nason wrote:Gee, I posted here last night and today my post is gone. Did I do something wrong?

It wasn't you, Robert. I posted in one of the other threads last night, and my words went into the ether, as well. The site was offline when I checked it around 11:30 PST.

D.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:34 am

Douglas -- That was around the time I posted my confession that I'd never seen an episode of DOCTOR WHO until this year, and that I'm trying to get up to speed on the last 50 years. (Good luck to me on that.) Anyway, thanks for letting me know that the site was offline last night and I'm not (completely) crazy.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:24 am

You have a wonderful journey ahead of you :wink:

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:39 am

A confluence of events finally brought me to DOCTOR WHO: 1) Talk about the show in the Dining Pavilion a few months ago, 2) repeated comments about it in phone calls and emails from an Anglophile friend of mine who's currently living in Vienna, and 3) an article in The New Yorker on the occasion of the show's 50th anniversary. The last one clinched it. I watched the first six episodes with William Hartnel online, but the shows were accompanied by a running commentary by a college-age young woman who could be seen in a box on the upper-right corner of the screen viewing the show on her laptop, giggling and saying things like, "I like Ian. He's cute." Very annoying. So I finally got hold of a DVD of all six 1964 episodes of DR. WHO: INVASION OF THE DALEKS. Crude by today's standards, perhaps, but somehow compulsively watchable. The Daleks looked like the bottom half of an upright vacuum cleaners with one "arm" ending in a plunger and the other ending in what looked like an egg beater, with giant candy "Dots" running fown their sides. The scariest part, at least to me, was the second disc with hours of "bonus" features -- it was distressing to see interviews with the young, attractive actors (not the Daleks) 40 years later. Are these wrinkled old men and women the same people I just saw in the show? Time, as Dr. Who teaches us, really is the strangest thing in the universe. But I enjoyed it all.

Still, I'm not sure I have the fortitude to progress year by year through the entire series. I'll probably select significant highlights along the way. I might be ready for the current incarnation around 2024. Like the good Doctor himself, I'm lost in time and space.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:04 pm

I saw the 1965 Milton Subotsky production, DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS, the other night; boasting a much larger budget than the black-and-white videotaped TV show, the feature film possessed a fraction of its charm. Even the Dalekss seemed somehow less threatening in Technicolor. And even the TV episodes had extensive outdoor (filmed) sequences in a deserted future London, which gave them a chilling verisimilitude that the wholly studio-bound movie lacked. To be sure, Peter Cushing brought his customary skill to the role of the Doctor -- his presence always provides a touch of gravitas to a production. But the script and direction persistently reverted to lame slapstick business, and the conventional movie music paled next to the "futuristic" tonalities of the.show. You get the feeling that the people making it simply didn't understand what made the TV series compelling -- a frequent occurrence when mainstream film people attempt sf and fantasy. Still, it provides some fun in its 88 minutes, and I hear the sequel is far better.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Daleks: Invasion Earth 2___AD is a really fast paced, exciting piece of work - but it does lack the atmosphere of the episodes it was based on. To this day I get chills when watching two characters trying to get a wheelchair-bound man through London, while avoiding Dalek patrols. And the process of turning people into Robo-men was genuinely disturbing. People can make fun all they want - the tin plate flying saucer didn't help - but this was heavy stuff. Nothing campy about it.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 am

Amy: You look human.

Doctor: No, you look Time Lord.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 pm

Anyone have a clue of exactly how few 2nd doctor episodes are out there?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:35 am

Patrick Troughton's Second Doctor had three seasons (4 through 6), totaling 21 serials consisting of 119 episodes.

Of 21 serials, seven are complete; four are missing in their entirety; the balance are all missing from one to six episodes. The entirety of Season 4 is missing or fragmented.

Of 119 episodes, 66 are extant; the rest are still 'lost'.

These numbers include the episodes recovered in 2013.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:30 am

I've heard good things abut Doctor 2 in particular. Apparently Matt Smith was inspired by him. So Ben and I are looking to view some of those episodes.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 am

It's a completely different experience. They are VERY much a production of their time and budget; my sole experience was with BBC America's re-broadcast of "Tomb of the Cybermen" and it felt... long. Enjoyed Troughton a great deal, and you can see some of Matt Smith's inspirations; but it's a decidedly different pace of storytelling.

Return to “Pop Culture”