THE DOCTOR...is in

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: THE DOCTOR...is in

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 am

Scarred the shit out of me when I was little, and look how I turned out!

Or maybe not. . .

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:27 am

Are any of the Who-books worth reading?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Are all those lost classic episodes truly lost?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Well, those that are available....not so much. Until recently.

I've wanted to add some thoughts to this thread, but not sure where to start....
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:43 am

Series 3 Episode 4-GRIDLOCK

The Face of Boe- Did this character exist in the classic story arc?

When the Doctor is working his way through vehicles to the lower level he encounters a proper gent in three-piec with pinstripes and a derby. Is this someone I should recognize? (Reminded me of sequences in the 60s batman series when Robin and the Bat climbed buildings and encountered who knows who.)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:07 am

Rick Keeney wrote:Series 3 Episode 4-GRIDLOCK

The Face of Boe- Did this character exist in the classic story arc?

When the Doctor is working his way through vehicles to the lower level he encounters a proper gent in three-piec with pinstripes and a derby. Is this someone I should recognize? (Reminded me of sequences in the 60s batman series when Robin and the Bat climbed buildings and encountered who knows who.)

Face of Boe is a character from the new series and did not appear prior to Eccleston's Doctor.

No, the guy in the derby was just a well dressed gent.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:20 am

Rick

Couple of responses

I have not read any of the books, so can't say yea or nay, but many of them are considered canon.

You've started in the right place. Eccleston's Doctor provides the basis for the new series and doesn't require real knowledge of the classic series - though that helps when you move into the latter Matt Smith episodes.

My favorite of the latter three Doctors...four if you count john Hurt...is Tennant. He brought the proper combination of insanity coupled with immense power and anger, and could shift from happy to frighteningly menacing in an instant.

My favorite companions are all over the board, but mostly Martha Jones and Jack Harkness River Song wasn't really a companion, more of a partner. She started as a character at the same level Martha and Jack ended up: equals to the doctor, not subordinates. They all had a command of situations and I felt they could be very effective even sans the Doctor. I appreciate that sense of independence. I greatly enjoyed Rory's arc as well, which you will see in future episodes.

Glad you liked the Fires of Pompeii. Written by a friend of mine, James Moran. I quite agree it presented the Doctor's core character conflicts beautifully.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:30 pm

The books are for kids. Young one's will probably eat 'em up - but even at my most fanboyish, I can't call them great YA literature. . .

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:41 am

Are all those lost classic episodes truly lost?

For the moment, yes.

For a long time, the BBC (which simply threw stuff away for space into the mid to late seventies) believed gone was gone. But over twenty countries purchased episodes for broadcast (on 16mm) over the years, and it's potential foreign holdings that the BBC has continued to scour. Episodes have turned up from other sources as well - accidental discovery, archives, private collectors. So I'd say, "Never say 'never'."

There's an interesting and lengthy article on Ye Olde Wikipedia that covers the topic in some detail, with some interesting tales of recovery and reconstruction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who ... g_episodes

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:54 am

Well, okay - a correction:

The BBC disposed of things for both space and cost savings of videotape at the time (re-use of tape post-wipe saved them a bundle.)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:53 pm

The audio does still exist for all of them - many have been released as radio plays and "picture dramas", with the soundtrack playing over stills. Many find it unwatchable, but I don't mind at all. . .

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:52 am

Were there any ideas or characters or themes or whatever from the Classic Who that were abandoned in the new era?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Little things about the show get me sometimes. The fearsome Judoon enter the hospital in "Smith and Jones." Their arrival is a bombastic scene. Then in they walk and the leader reveals her horrific rhino-lke visage. And speaks. I busted a gut, "LOW! SHOW! NO! DOUGH! SO! TOE! GO!"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

"This is the age of steel and Iron." Now that was dramatic.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 am

Rick Keeney wrote:Were there any ideas or characters or themes or whatever from the Classic Who that were abandoned in the new era?

Hmmm. On paper at least, it's all pretty continuous. The mythology hasn't changed much. A lot of the characters and the monsters have been retained (though the backstory of the Cybermen has been completely revamped).

The changes have mainly been of emphasis and tone. The Davies era especially leaned towards magical thinking and soap operatics - which could be jarring for old schoolers like me ( I also thought the humour juvenile). The Moffat era has much more "classic" in that regard.

At least, IMNSHO. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:18 am

Rick Keeney wrote:Were there any ideas or characters or themes or whatever from the Classic Who that were abandoned in the new era?

Good question. Characters on the series come and go, but they have tried to maintain a nice continuity. No one has been simply "vanished", and in fact there are some touching references to the classic series sprinkled throughout -- and at least one returning character, and the return of UNIT, etc. But I'm not sure of what you mean by "abandoned" -- some things have been unused, but not really abandoned as elements of canon.

Rick Keeney wrote:Little things about the show get me sometimes. The fearsome Judoon enter the hospital in "Smith and Jones." Their arrival is a bombastic scene. Then in they walk and the leader reveals her horrific rhino-lke visage. And speaks. I busted a gut, "LOW! SHOW! NO! DOUGH! SO! TOE! GO!"

Yep. The Judoon are an interesting race. I'm not sure why we've never seen them up against something like the Cybermen. THAT would be a fearsome battle. There is, if you want to check out Youtube, a hysterical scene between Tennant and another Judoon squad later in the series. (No spoilers here, just fun).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtdoPUQimJg

I've noted that Martha Jones is among my very favorite companions.

Rick Keeney wrote:"This is the age of steel and Iron." Now that was dramatic.

Yep. The best written episodes have some truly good dialog and thematics.

Maho'.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:20 am

Steve makes a good point regarding the Cybermen. Yes, they're been rewritten with a revised origin.

Return to “Pop Culture”