Superman is too...Super?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben W.

Superman is too...Super?

Postby Ben W. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:45 pm

http://internetisinamerica.blogspot.com ... erman.html

This article got me thinking, but probably not in the way its author intended. I can't help but feel this fellow is failing to understand Supes at a very basic level. I'm reminded of a conversation between Superman and wannabe-superhero Magog in Alex Ross and Mark Waid's KINGDOM COME:

“Your fault… you bastard. The world changed… but you wouldn’t. So they chose me. They chose the man who would kill over the man who wouldn’t… and now they’re dead. A million ghosts. Punish me. Lock me away. Kill me. Just make the ghosts go away.”

Steve Evil

Re: Superman is too...Super?

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Few things are more dull than the invulnerable superhero, and yet Superman, the most invulnerable of them all, has always interested me.

The themes of Kingdom Come were part of it: Superman always tried to do the right thing even when it wasn't always clear what the right thing was. . .

And part of it was what he represented: goodness. The idea that goodness couldn't be destroyed always appealed to me.

So I've never been bored with Superman, though invulnerable superheroes (and villains) always bored the hell out of me. Go figure.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:26 pm

It's an issue being dealt with in the Legion of Super Heroes books as well. A member if that team, MonEl, is commonly considered to be even more powerful than Supes (he's referred to in a number of cases as Superman's big brother). (He's the character they wrong-headedly tried to retcon as Valor to fill the then missing post-death-Superman 's influence on the Universe's superheroes.) (Confusing enough?)

I haven't followed the book in years, but the character in the mid-eighties was used primarily to demonstrate how powerful any given foe was. He's been repeatedly blasted by no less than Darkseid, Mordru and the Time Trapper, three of DC's top tier villains. "Oh look, Darkseid just kicked MonEl's ass...whatever will we do?"

I've seen references that in the post-52 re- re- reset, they have inexplicably now given MonEl a Green Lantern's ring on top of his Superman-equivalent ability to kick butt. Wha...?

(I know. Too geeky by far.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 pm

What these big shot movie people don’t grasp, however, is that no matter how they tackle the source material, there’s no way they can turn the film into an interesting human drama...

Why the hell would you even want to turn Superman into a "human drama" in the first place?

Anyone who is interested in the character should go back to the supreme depiction of all time (no not Christopher Reeve).

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Fleischers-Su ... 809&sr=1-1

What I want is derring-do and sense of wonder. NOT pseudo-profundity and an extension of the "Dark Knight" concept.

Joy. J-O-Y.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am

Superman is a symbol of white supremacy.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:35 pm

A symbol of white supremacy created by two jewish kids named Siegel and Shuster. Yeah, right. Pull the other one.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:10 pm

I suppose everyone is aware of the new reboot coming in 2013?

The Superman franchise is resurrected in Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures “Man of Steel” from director Zack Snyder and producer Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight). The film stars Henry Cavill, who plays the new Clark Kent/Superman, Amy Adams as Daily Planet journalist Lois Lane, and Laurence Fishburne as her editor-in-chief, Perry White. Starring as Clark Kent’s adoptive parents, Martha and Jonathan Kent, Diane Lane and Kevin Costner. Squaring off against the superhero are two other surviving Kryptonians, the villainous General Zod, played by Michael Shannon, and Faora, Zod’s evil partner, played by Antje Traue. Also from Superman’s native Krypton are Lara Lor-Van, Superman’s mother, played by Ayelet Zurer, and Superman’s father, Jor-El, portrayed by Russell Crowe. Rounding out the cast are Harry Lennix as U.S. military man General Swanwick, as well as Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy. “Man of Steel” is being produced by Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder.

http://www.movienewz.com/superman-man-of-steel/

Haven't we seen this movie before? What a complete lack of imagination! Oh well.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:49 pm

I can't stand Zack Snider. . .

Return to “Pop Culture”