Copyright vs Copywrong

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Re: Copyright vs Copywrong

Postby diane bartels » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:19 pm

I am not begging; if you think it should be closed down, Steve, that is fine with me. Whatever makes you easier in your heart; you have enough going on in your life.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:39 pm

Diane's point is, from a historical perspective, a fair one. Close it, and we'll wind up with asides and such everywhere else. At least if the thread is here, if there are parties that absolutely need to touch on the topic, there's a rain barrel it can be drowned in, and people can be justly told to take it to the Dead Horse Flogging Chamber.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:26 am

I've already excluded myself from responding to anything on Frank's own thread, I can keep away from this one. The urge to scratch, though, it is powerful!

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:02 am

If you can make sure there in no bleed over, I can live with this being a done deal.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:32 am

Mark Tiedemann wrote:I've already excluded myself from responding to anything on Frank's own thread, I can keep away from this one. The urge to scratch, though, it is powerful!

And that's my point. We're all spending inordinate amounts of time and effort to explain the situation to somebody who doesn't want to see things from any other perspective and shows no actual desire to engage, except for lobbing the occasional grenade into the room.

Doug, Diane and Lori make a good point, however. I'll leave this open solely to keep the other threads free of the topic.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:03 am

Barber, I have responded to everything about five million times. Just because you do not like the answer is not my business. You never respected my position--ever, even though it really isn't my position, since I never thought about the issue until I saw the Lessig book and knew Jefferson was so radical on the issue--and he was a dude who really defended books.

I'm supposed to respect your position, but I'm supposed to agree that mine is awful. No mas.

It's not like I got this view from some obscure blog or the communist party website. This is mainstream progressive, first Amendment logic. Perfectly within the enlightenment tradition.

I have already stated that the public's right to information is more important than an individual right to make money from older works. Once the 28 years is toast you write or perform something new and make money from that. Is that hard? 28 years, that is a lifetime.

Alfie Kohn has stated that monetary incentives do not work. Incentives actually create banal art. The incentive to merely create makes for greatness, which you all seem to not care about. Do you want our culture to go under? The time bomb is ticking.

The same goes to Harlan, who I love dearly. His older work should be in the public domain.

I'm at least consistent. Doug told me to create Frank's Pinocchio. If Doug felt so much about copyright protection for corporate America he would say there should be no public domain, ever.

You either pay for everything or go to jail.

You may not believe this but your side says that corporations deserve more protection. Because I may get a small incentive from that law. The crumbs from the master's table argument strikes me as loopy.

I want equity. A society where we think our neighbor is a possible thief is not one I want to live in.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:15 am

Mark, I respect you. As an artist.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:28 am

The same goes to Harlan, who I love dearly. His older work should be in the public domain.

I dare you to say that in the Pavilion. It'll go over like a lead balloon I'm sure.

BTW, it's not that we don't respect your view (at least as far as I'm concerned), it's that your view is so horribly wrong and indefensible. Further more, deponent sayeth not.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:53 am

Frank

Then post the link to the post where you give us the quote of Jefferson's that shows he agrees with you.

My biggest problem is that you seem to think manual labor is more worthy of protections than an artist. You've not addressed how the voucher system would allow people like my boss to pay me for the manual labor I do for him.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Andrew, that sounds like a shuck.

I cannot deal with the view so I will say the view is crazy. We see that in our entire media.

----------

Lori, you should tell your boss to pay you on your day off since you just copywrote your job. :)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:41 pm

Andrew, answer this: Who benefits more from copyright, Disney or Harlan?

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:09 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Andrew, answer this: Who benefits more from copyright, Disney or Harlan?

Harlan. As a matter of fact, copyright is what helps keep entities like Disney in check. They steal from someone like Harlan (or me, or you) we have remedies to ensure that we get compensated for that theft. That's what copyright does.

Though really this is a bit of a strawman. We've been over this a million times with you. And. You. Still. Don't. Get. It.

Let it go already.
Andrew Rogers

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:12 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Andrew, that sounds like a shuck.

I cannot deal with the view so I will say the view is crazy. We see that in our entire media.

----------

Lori, you should tell your boss to pay you on your day off since you just copywrote your job. :)

And you have the nerve to scream "Personal Attack!"? I'm done with this Frank.
Andrew Rogers

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:08 pm

I note that he didn't answer the question.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:15 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I note that he didn't answer the question.

I answered your question. Look again.

I think you just didn't like my answer.
Andrew Rogers

Return to “Pop Culture”