Getting I HAVE NO MOUTH & I MUST SCREAM to work on Windows 7

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben W.

Getting I HAVE NO MOUTH & I MUST SCREAM to work on Windows 7

Postby Ben W. » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:51 am

Howdy folks.

Lately, I've been trying to install the classic Ellison game IHNMAIMS on my Sony VAIO laptop (Windows 7 software), with no success. I realized there would be compatibility issues between the game and my newer, sleeker computer from the beginning, although I wasn't sure about how to resolve them. I downloaded a program entitled DOSBox to see if that might help, but no dice.

I'm something of a klutz when it comes to PCs, so if the above description of my problem causes the more technically savvy among you to roll your eyes in resigned irritation, my apologies. If I have to look like an idiot to make the darned thing work, so be it.

Chuck Messer

Re: Getting I HAVE NO MOUTH & I MUST SCREAM to work on Windows 7

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Nah, you don't look like an idiot. Have you tried to find the game's manufacturer on line? They might have a plug-in that would help. Maybe.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:21 am

One of the major drawbacks of Windows 7 and older software is that Windows 7 does not contain any DOS code. Older versions of Windows do, up til Vista I seem to remember. Though there is a way to make the programs run in "Compatability mode" there is no way to guarantee that its even going to work by doing that. Some old stuff just will not work with W7 and that is that.

If you wish to try compatability mode, click start, programs and once you find the one you want, RIGHT click and bring up Properties access compatability...

You should be able to choose older versions of Windows that way. Other than that, it may be the only option is to use an older PC.

Tom

Postby Tom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Ben,
Try going to ScummVM.org. There was a thread about this on the Harlan forums before but I can't seem to find it. I just looked around their site and it looks like there is a list of the files you need to download at:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... ust_Scream

This site is dedicated to making old games work on new machines. You have to have the source code, that is you need to own the game, but they have files to make it work.
That said, I just clicked on the ScummVM icon on this computer and it did a few things and then just disappeared, so perhaps I need to reload it. But It had allowed me to start the game before, and they said they had decoded it just about to the end.
Go there and look around. I think they are the one resource for making this work, though you really have to poke around their site to figure out what you need and how to use it. Good luck.

Hate, let me tell you about hate...
Tom

Tom

Postby Tom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Hey Ben,
Me again. I found that the previous thread on this topic was condensed down to a very imformative post by Samwise explaining how ScummVM works. It is over in the Spider forum, which is now called the Literary Symposium. Scroll down to see the 1995 game entry, not the 1967 story entry.
Good luck with getting the game to work and with the game. Did you buy the clue book? It contains new background information on the characters, written by Harlan.
Tom

Return to “Pop Culture”