Whatcha listening to?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

AndrewR

Re: Whatcha listening to?

Postby AndrewR » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:09 pm

FinderDoug wrote:Similar sport, different league as the Symphonic Music of (whomever) is the current proliferation of pop music rendered in the "lullaby" style that has no business being a lullaby. It's a cute idea for rabid fan parents to indoctrinate their children to the music they themselves love, but somehow a lullabye version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is an oversimplification on a terrible number of levels. And don't even get me started on the lullaby discs devoted to Prince. "Cream"? Really?

http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/prince.html

Bought a few tracks on iTunes. I just can't stand normal kiddie music. Once the loinfruit stopped taking naps we stopped with the lullabies for the most part.

The version of Peal Jam's "Even Flow" just works though. I like it better than the original.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Do I dare listen? That would be like Sesame Street doing Gett Off. :lol:

Doug, I'm sure you are aware that Prince dropped two disks today. A mixed bag but not bad.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:16 pm

A good use of symphony in pop music in soul music. The Stylistics would lose something without that orchestra.

I mean, this TTD song is pretty as all fucksake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHAVsNqAS4A

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Ye gods :roll:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:37 pm

Wha?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:00 pm

Odd. That little emoticon was in response to the rockabyebaby link, an idea leaves me tongue tied. Not at all meant to disparage your link Frank. Your pardons I beg. . .

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:26 am

I've been listening to the last two "official" Jefferson Airplane albums, Bark and Long John Silver. You can hear Grace beginning to lose the mellifluous delicacy that informed her earlier vocals, which would later become a bit shrill and biting. Several of the songs on both are excuses to rant. Papa John Creech's appearance here presages the Starship period to come. All that said, they stand up much better than one might expect, and there are phrases of pure delight. Grace's piano work shows an innate classical sensibility in terms of structure and timing, her staggered chording kind of reminiscent of Schoenberg, and serves as fascinating counterpoint to Kaukonen's deceptively simple lead work. All in all, they represent the final phase of a powerful group of musicians who did some really amazing stuff and, finally, knew when to walk away and do something different.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:38 am

A total Airplane fan. I love that whole West Coast 60s sound, Buffalo Springfield and Quicksilver Messenger Service. But JA were the best of them. It's easy to make fun of the Hippies now in the cynical and swinish age we live in but for a time before it went bad it was hopeful and joyous. And for a time the Airplane perfectly balanced the forces; Paul Kantner's hippie utopianism, Marty balin's romanticism and Grace Slick's intensity and edge. She was a very sophisticated songwriter. My favorite JA moment is not one of the "hits" but her riff on Joyce's Ulysses, "Rejoyce".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldt8UwJFA-k

Here's the Airplane in full flight (sorry).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJJE5Wo_OY

Pap John Creech! Haven't thought of him in years. Get this lineup for a concert. Papa John, Argent and the original Mahavishnu Orchestra. Those were the days. 1973 was a big year music wise for me. The year before I had been listening to the Monkees and Paul Revere. Then it was YES, Zappa, King Crimson, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, the Whoand the MO all in the the space of about six months. I was one fried 13 year old peanut. I was fortunate enough to have an older cousin who didn't mind me tagging along with him and his friends. Thanks Larry!

I've always been grateful to my parents because for all the absurd restrictions under which I was raised they never once censored my music listening or my reading. I don't think they ever really understood what was happening. Strange.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:07 pm

The Airplane was a bit pompous. My main problem with progressive rock. We are just so artsy. Nah.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:25 pm

They were pompous Frank. And arrogant. And self-righteous. And naive. They were twenty year old kids who thought they could change the world with music. They made every mistake you can make but for a time it was glorious.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Never understood this pose that because something is "artsy" (whatever that means) you should find fault with it. Just sit back and listen to the fucking music and hear what there is to hear. If you don't like it just say so. If you do, why qualify it?

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:15 am

Mark Tiedemann wrote:Never understood this pose that because something is "artsy" (whatever that means) you should find fault with it. Just sit back and listen to the fucking music and hear what there is to hear. If you don't like it just say so. If you do, why qualify it?

If I may offer: "artsy" -- as opposed to artistic -- to me has always represented the self-conscious trying-too-hard approach. The desperate need to seem creative without any real understanding of what creativity entails and which part of the soul it resides.

In college I dated a woman who was very much the rich-girl pretentious "artsy" sort, who would do things designed to be "artistic", without any regard for actual artistry. She wasn't a bad painter or sketch artist when she wasn't trying too hard to "create". She had the basic skills, no question. There were a number of times, however, when she would grab a board, mix a blob of chemicals which later became "spray insulation", let it cool, poke holes in it and paint it bright colors, loudly proclaiming she was testing the boundaries of what people consider "art". Jackson Pollock she wasn't, and eventually she ended up with a dorm room full of annoying blobs she just threw away one drunken night. Not i a fit of anger, but in a fit of "okay, moving on". No attachment to what she had created.

This wasn't art, it was play. Less art than a Home Depot handyman's DIY mistake. "Artsy".
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:33 am

If I may offer: "artsy" -- as opposed to artistic -- to me has always represented the self-conscious trying-too-hard approach.

Okay, I get that. But too often the term gets thrown at work which genuinely is simply misapprehended. For a long time I would have consider Mahler in that category---too much for too little effect, "artsy" by your definition. I've since concluded that I just don't connect with Mahler. I concluded that based on my real appreciation for Richard Strauss, who is just as ornate, just as ebuliently excessive as Mahler, but I "get" him. I no longer dismiss Mahler. Her's just not my thing.

Now, I listen to the albums of JA, and I don't hear any excessive flourishes, nothing that would compare them to, say, Gentle Giant or Gong (both of which sometimes did exhibit excess for the sake of excess) and I can't help but think that to dismiss them as "artsy" is to declare one's complete misunderstanding of both that term and their work. Compare JA at its most psychedelic to their neighbors, the Grateful Dead, at their most psychedelic and I think it fair to say JA were comparatively restrained.

Anyway, I was also caught a bit flatfooted by folding JA into the stable of prog rock. Not that I don't think they can easily be included in that but that I almost never hear them discussed in those terms, but rather as psychedelia, which was (and for many remains) Something Else.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:06 am

Artsy means pretentious unsophisticated cultural critique. Not saying anyone here leans that way. :)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Listening to George Harrison's ALL THINGS MUST PASS while writing 160 photo album captions. Sure, it's the album known most for "My Sweet Lord" and "What Is Life" but there's so much more going on behind the two singles - the raw shin-kick of "Wah-Wah" (his swipe at McCartney post Beatle break-up), the penned-in-1966 "The Art of Dying" and the playful "Apple Scruffs", a series of strong numbers across two discs that make the best argument that Harrison benefitted most from The Beatles going their separate ways.

Return to “Pop Culture”