Whatcha listening to?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: Whatcha listening to?

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Two & Three part inventions, yeah. My favorite Bach.

Currently I'm on a heavy pipe organ trip. I found a CD of Gyorgy Ligeti's stuff on pipe organ and also Olivier Messien. Both fine 20th century composers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esDkIW6oEBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIuAYSXYlPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7g0ULVl2I
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:16 am

I have about seven discs of Lygeti. Some amazing stuff there. (Some, admittedly, a bit on the unlistenable side, but still...)

I've only had brief encounters with Messien. What would be a good place to start?

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:55 am

The Peach Kings - Mojo Thunder
Bean - Cops and Robbers
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cities in Dust
Galactic - Cineramascope

Gotta love Spotify.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:09 am

Vic Chesnutt
Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Good to see you, Raven.

I prefer Pandora. But Spotify does not suck. Also youtube is fulla fun.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:I have about seven discs of Lygeti. Some amazing stuff there. (Some, admittedly, a bit on the unlistenable side, but still...)

I've only had brief encounters with Messien. What would be a good place to start?

With Messiaen my taste runs to his chamber music and even better his solo pieces for keyboards. I'm not much of an orchestral person. This is true generally. Those 19th century romantics with all those gushing strings don't do much for me. So as long as you are aware of my bias I can recommend my own favorites.

Messiaen does have some orchestral work that is well regarded. His big piece is called the Turangalîla which is interesting because it has a solo passage using an early electronic instrument called an Ondes Martenot.

I recently discovered a beautiful work for soprano, tenor, violin and piano called La Mort du Nombre. Here's a wonderful performance I found online -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-JA-a5P3E

His big work for solo piano is called Vingt regards sur l'enfant-Jésus which is just what it says, twenty tone poems of varying lengths for solo piano. I have a recording by a pianist named Pierre Aimard which is I can testify is terrific.

But my favorite Messiaen are his works for solo organ. He was an organist for a cathedral in Paris most of his career. Because of this he has a special affinity for the instrument.

Early in his career, before WW2 -

L'ascension (this piece was originally composed for orchestra but there is a later, expanded solo organ version)

La Nativité du Seigneur

Les corps glorieux

Later in his career the one to get is called Méditations sur le mystère de la Sainte Trinité. As you can probably judge from the titles he was an extremely devout mystical Roman Catholic. There are a bunch of performances available on Youtube so you can get a taste before you get to the point of actually purchasing anything (including Messiaen himself playing). And I noticed he has pretty good page on Wikipedia if you want all the details of his work. Good listening!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 am

Ah, the violinist aint bad either. Cough. She is a cutie.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:42 pm

20th Century Classical music part 2

A perennial whine. It's this time of year when the various institutions and foundations and societies (of which there are a veritable sh*tload here in DC) come out with their Fall/Winter classical music programs. Because of past indiscretions I seem to be on everybody's mailing lists. And it fills the heart with despair. Despair I tell you. Every year it's the same. Out come all the venerable warhorses. The programs are so predictable it makes me want to cry. John Lennon famously said, Before Elvis there was nothing. The Classical music world has the opposite view. After Bartok or Stravinsky there was nothing.

It's not really the musician's fault. I'm sure they would love to have more adventurous programming. But if they didn't program so predictably the houses would be half full at showtime. The classical music audience is more reactionary than the Nashville country audience. Occasionally they slip a ringer in. Since I've been up here I've heard Ligeti's string quartets a couple times and I did hear Messiaen's Turangalîla symphony once and even some of Toru Takemitsu's piano works (but the performer was Japanese so that was ok :roll: ). But an evening of Messiaen? Or a Ligeti night? Giaconti Scelsi or Ginastera? None of this is unlistenable avant-garde.

I have my favorites like anybody else. I never get tired of Bach. But can't we branch out just a bit?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:46 am

Minnesota Public Radio

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:42 am

I've had the new Ian Anderson Homo Erraticus on regular rotation the past week. This is, imho, damn good stuff. It's part 3, more or less, of the Thick As A Brick corpus. A few years back he put out Thick As A Brick 2 which, while it had its moments, really does in retrospect sound like the "middle book." This one is pretty excellent throughout.

It picks up as Gerald Bostock (and if I need to explain who he is, then you probably won't give a damn about this album) confides to Anderson what influenced him way back when.

Anderson's social commentary in in full voice here and the liner note discussion about where Jethro Tull ends and he begins in interesting.

Curious note---did anyone know that Tony Iommi played guitar for JT before Martin Barre joined the band?

Oh, and apparently Tull's original bass player, Glenn Cornick, has passed away.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:05 am

Pulled out an oldie this morning. Flash, Out Of Our Hands, their third album and in some ways their best. Listening to it now, it seemed they were an album or two away from a really interesting, substantial sound, but they never got the chance. After this, Peter Banks cut his first solo album, Two Sides of Peter Banks, which is all instrumental and brilliant and then he sort of faded from the scene for years.

Contemplating alternate history through music.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Spoon - "Do You"
Vangelis - "Damask Rose"
ZZ Top - "I Gotsta Get Paid"
Roy Brown - "Butcher Pete"
Hoagy Carmichael - "Star Dust" - obsessing on this one a bit.

Hey Keeney, what's up chief? Good to hear from you, too.

Mark T. - I agree with your assessment of that Flash album. They missed the target by a millimeter! They could have been great.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:17 am

Mark T. - I agree with your assessment of that Flash album. They missed the target by a millimeter! They could have been great.

What-might-have-beens...

I have most of Peter Banks' solo albums and the worst thing that can be said about them is, he could have used a good editor. But the work was marvelous.

It's funny how some musicians shine in one place and can't seem to play chopsticks. Both Banks and Tony Kaye were original members of YES and neither of them did very well in that group. Once out of YES, Banks blossomed. So did Kaye, playing studio sets for a dizzying array of top artists, and in his own bands, first with Flash and then Badger and (I think) Detective. Interestingly, when he rejoined YES in '83 he once again played poorly. Strange.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:18 am

Everybody here will like this. Our fave local group Over The Rhine, truly progressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCLu464SxOk

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:13 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Everybody here will like this. Our fave local group Over The Rhine, truly progressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCLu464SxOk

That's lovely.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:50 am

Juno Reactor

Return to “Pop Culture”