Rob Zombie made me ashamed to be a horror fan.

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Rob Zombie made me ashamed to be a horror fan.

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:57 pm

That movie's pretty mainstream.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:18 pm

A French flick called Martyrs, but I dwouldnt say I liked it, or enjoyed nor would I really recommend if you are a human. But it was the most profoundly disturbed and disturbing movie I could ever conceive of.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Gang

Hate to say it, but has it ever occurred to any of you that perhaps those movies are an amplification of the zeitgeist of the nation if not the world?

I mean we have a government that barely works, an environment that will not be able to sustain us for much longer and a whole shitload of that we cannot control nor can we make them work for the common good. While I find them vile, I can understand how people like Mr. Zombie can make films like that without batting an eyelash.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:48 am

An interesting theory, as good as any I've heard, and yet. . .and yet. . . there were bad times before. The Great Depression, two world wars. I almost wonder (almost, because I can think of any number of counter-arguments or contradictions) if living too long without any real hardship can innure one to spectacles of suffering. If it turns empathy off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannibal Holocaust. Infamous more for the astoundingly unethical practices of its director than its content, I found the movie itself way less disturbing than Inglorious Basterds, Resevoir Dogsor Natural Born Killers. Astonishingly, I found it to contain a moral core absent from those other films: that there is a right way and a wrong way to treat people, and the wrong way will not go unpunished for long.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Gang

Hate to say it, but has it ever occurred to any of you that perhaps those movies are an amplification of the zeitgeist of the nation if not the world?

I mean we have a government that barely works, an environment that will not be able to sustain us for much longer and a whole shitload of that we cannot control nor can we make them work for the common good. While I find them vile, I can understand how people like Mr. Zombie can make films like that without batting an eyelash.

It occurred to me a long time ago, Lori, and with all due respect, I think you're giving an "auteur" as shallow as Zombie a little too much credit. Nor is the zeitgeist you speak of anything new. The wave of horror movies of the '70's which inspired Zombie, Eli Roth, and Tarantino were similarly coated with a twitchy, jittery "everything's ending" vibe. But while the likes of Tobe Hooper and Wes Craven made no attempt to censor the graphic misdeeds of their human monsters, we never at any point got the impression that the filmmakers actually wanted to BE them. This is where Zombie and Roth differ, which is probably the source of my - and Steve's - unease while watching their movies. I'm not talking about the deliberate, calculated unease a well-made horror film is meant to evoke, but rather the sickly, queasy unease you get when sitting next to someone on the bus wearing a t-shirt with Charles Manson's leering features emblazoned on the front. Zombie/Roth's attitude is more of an apathetic shrug-of-the-shoulders: "Hey, if the world's going to hell, might as well enjoy the ride." I'm sometimes inclined to think people who are disposed to the "that's the way it is, jack" attitude are active contributors to the situation themselves, or at the very least their indifference allow it to flourish.

I strongly recommend you check out a film called STUCK. Stuart Gordon, 2007. Make no mistake, it's a legitimate "horror movie" - the violence and gore are proof positive of that - but it's one of the few I've seen in recent memory that goes out of its way to attack the very nihilism that's become so hip to Zombie and Co. It's rare to see a film so angry; not with one particular person, but with a way of living, a way of thinking. In an era where the majority of films are demanding that we simply give in to one thing or another, STUCK is an almost freakish anomaly that has the audacity to tell us to fucking fight.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Most slasher films are just idiots trying to make a buck. Zombie actually thinks he is raising some great standard up.

They could all learn from something like Driller Killer, which actually does have a style.

paul

Postby paul » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:15 pm

FrankChurch wrote:The question to ask is what is the sickest horror movie that you like? Mine would be Salo.

Did a double feature at an old movie-house years ago. SALO and CALIGULA. Head's never been the same.
The medium is the message.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Good lord, how are you still sane?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:12 am

paul wrote: SALO and CALIGULA. Head's never been the same.

No comment.

None whatsoever.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

paul

Postby paul » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:27 am

FrankChurch wrote:Good lord, how are you still sane?

Whatever gave you the impression that I was?

Barber wrote:
paul wrote: SALO and CALIGULA. Head's never been the same.

No comment.
None whatsoever.

I know, Steve. I fought long and hard about introducing that phrase, and in the long run, I decided that I would come with it.

I know, I'm stretching. I'm tired. But the acid didn't help. Just sayin'....

paul

Postby paul » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:42 am

I will also go on record as saying LA SEXORCISTO is a really fine album. For all its B-movie repetition, for all its cheese-induced lyrics, for all its fan-boy 1950's mentality, it's packed chock-full of wild blueberry muffins. With Iggy Pop. It's a grand ride, in the not-so-grand-scheme-of-things. Things change, of course, but in the winter of 1991, I was glad to get this preview of apolyptica to come. Good times.

And, adjunct, Sean Yseule is really fucking good and SOOooo hot. So there. She had to take an active fan-boy out with her bass when he decided to try to grab her on stage, did so royally, then kept playing. Oh, mama....
YMMV

Return to “Pop Culture”