The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben W.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Postby Ben W. » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:15 am

The teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apMXFloDH6M

Personally, I for one hope (and no, this doesn't qualify as a "spoiler", since the KNIGHTFALL graphic novels have been sitting on comic book store shelves for years now) we finally see Bane breaking Batman's back in all its visceral on-screen glory. Every incarnation of the character thus far, from various animated shows to BATMAN & ROBIN, has skirted around this defining moment for Bane, presumably so not to traumatize the little young'uns. But after Heath Ledger's Joker, any Helen Lovejoy-style response to such a scene would seem pretty goofy.

FrankChurch

Re: The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Beyond Harlan's bleatings, I still liked the last film. It's fantasy, fantasy means you have more logical leeway. At least my fantasies...lol

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:32 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Beyond Harlan's bleatings, I still liked the last film. It's fantasy, fantasy means you have more logical leeway. At least my fantasies...lol

Wait a sec, Harlan didn't like THE DARK KNIGHT? I'm sorry if I sound nosey, but what exactly did he have to say about it?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:29 pm

I remember him saying (to me directly actually over on the Pavilion) something about the impracticality of the bank heist in the first scene. The timing of it would never work. He has a point, but it seems small potatoes compared to some of the doozies Hollywood cranks out.

That and he said it was a bore.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Harlan does have issues: He will befriend Patton Oswald, who loves rock music, but diss our love of rock..lol

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:37 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Harlan does have issues

Well HE has his own tastes which like all of us sometimes voices as if they are rules of the universe instead of personal subjective opinions. But because he is an interesting inventive thinker these opinions often influence other folks in their thinking.

My problem with THE DARK KNIGHT was that it was bloated, in need of some editing. The Hong Kong sequence was superfluous, the movie could have lost at least one car chase and the episode with the Wayne employee who discovers the Batman's secret should have been removed. You would have been left with a taut energized flick that would have been a half-hour shorter.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:06 am

Ezra Lb. wrote: the episode with the Wayne employee who discovers the Batman's secret should have been removed.

I actually liked that bit: surely a man with as much public profile as Bruce Wayne couldn't keep up something like that without leaving some kind of clues that someone might notice.

But Hong Kong? Yeah. Completely pointless.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Steve Evil wrote:
Ezra Lb. wrote: the episode with the Wayne employee who discovers the Batman's secret should have been removed.

I actually liked that bit: surely a man with as much public profile as Bruce Wayne couldn't keep up something like that without leaving some kind of clues that someone might notice.

Well I'm not saying it wasn't well directed and well acted, it just didn't have anything to do with the rest of the movie. Include it in the DVD extras. :wink: Maybe the inevitable Director's Version will be shorter.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:36 am

I'll admit to being a little concerned about Tom Hardy's height and size (the guy's 5'10" in real life, according to imdb.com). Maybe I'm just too spoiled by the comic book image of Bane as a towering titan of muscle, or I was misled by the brief shot of Hardy lumbering towards Bale in the teaser, which is practically ripped from the pages of KNIGHTFALL. I realize all sorts of camera trickery and CGI hocus-pocus can be used to create a bigger man out of Hardy's Bane, but was it really that impossible to find a thespian who had the acting chops and the bulk to manifest a live-action Bane?

...and no, Jeep Swenson doesn't count.

Return to “Pop Culture”