So long, Sarah Jane

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Alejandro Riera

So long, Sarah Jane

Postby Alejandro Riera » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:07 pm

Sad, sad, sad day indeed. Elisabeth Sladen, our Sarah Jane Smith, died this morning of cancer at the unbelievably young age of 63. Cancer, that evil, evil motherfucker is still claiming the lives of many a good people. First the Brig and now Sarah Jane…and just four days before the premiere of the brand new season of Doctor Who. Just rewatched the final scene of "School Reunion" and started bawling my eyes out.

Here's the info: http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia ... ied-at-63/

Chuck Messer

Re: So long, Sarah Jane

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:40 am

Shit.
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:34 am

From BBC News

Doctor Who returns on Saturday and a spokeswoman for the show said that "something suitable is being planned" as a tribute to the late actress.

Sladen's agent Roger Carey described her as a "dear friend".

He said: "She was so positive about life and her natural energy was intoxicating. She couldn't believe her luck when her career was resurrected in her own series."

- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:17 pm

The CBBC is airing a 15-minute tribute right after the season premiere of Doctor Who on BBC1 and there will be a brief mention of Lis in that episode as well:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/04/dw ... laden.html

Just hope BBC America does the right thing and they air this instead of The Graham Norton Show. Hell, they should be airing all four seasons of The Sarah Jane Adventures. They have about three months worth of programming right there. Am getting a little bit tired of those Top Gear and ST:TNG reruns (don't get me wrong, I love both shows but come on, the BBC produces far more original programming…)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:59 pm

I guess I'm slow on the uptake. This news just sank in. I was so sad when she couldn't go to Gallifrey.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:29 am

My first reaction was shock, followed by deep sadness. How can I put this?

Without being morbid, we do anticipate death, and we prepare for it. But there is a natural order that we expect it to follow. We naturally expect the oldsters to go first, not because we want them to go, but because that's just how it is. It's unfair to die at all, but those who last the longest tend to be congratulated for making it so far. The younger people get, the less fair it seems.

Last year, when Ronnie James Dio succumbed to cancer, I was in shock because I'd taken it for granted that he'd beat it; but I knew he had it. When Nicholas Courtney passed on (also cancer), I was very saddened that the wheel kept turning and the reaper had taken yet another one.

But Lizzie Sladen?

I met her just over a year ago. She was so energetic, so vital, she seemed so young and healthy, she was in the middle of her own show, surely she had decades left in her? Of all my childhood icons, surely she wasn't the next in line?

Cancer, cancer, cancer. . . In the air, in the food, in the water, in our household appliances. When are we going to start fighting back?

When I met her, I tried not to take too much of her time, knowing how intrusive fans can be, but she was so conversational, so warm and friendly. "Where are you from?" she would ask, and told me how much she liked Toronto, and "what brought you over here?" and "we've got an awful [education] system - but you'll make it better!" remarked how cultured my accent was, and finally " I wish you all the best". I can't describe how it felt to be spoken to so kindly by a childhood hero.

I spent so many afternoons in the company of Sarah Jane; she was a plucky, likable, entirely believable counterwieght to the god-like Doctor. She was the bridge
between the generations. All my students at school watched her just like I did when I was their age. They most often didn't know who Tom Baker was, or Jon Pertwee or Peter Davidson, but they all knew Sarah Jane. And I adored the "SJAs", (often more than the regular Doctor Who!) they took me right back to the age of eleven, when adventures where easy to come by.

Now gone? We are all so much the poorer.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Well put, Steve, Yes, we are so much the poorer. And I am with you on SJA: it beautifully captured the spirit of early Doctor Who: that sense of wonder, of adventure, while tackling some heavy duty issues (ageing, divorce, death, etc.) that are very rarely tackled with honesty and seriousness on so-called children's television.

And now, more than ever, I regret not having attended the local Doctor Who convention a year or two ago where Lis was one of the guests of honor.

Folks, Blogtor Who has uploaded the tribute to Lis Sladen that aired tonight on CBBC. You can see it here:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... th_23.html

Return to “Pop Culture”