Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

adriane17

Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol

Postby adriane17 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:38 pm

I had the good fortune to get a ticket for the preview/press launch of Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol at The BFI Southbank last night and what can I say? It was wonderful even for someone who has just turned 52 and has had more than enough of Christmas these days. The script was tinselly inevitably but was sad (I wasn't the only one to be in tears), funny and heartwarming.Obviously someone like Michael Gambon isn't going to let the side down and indeed he puts in a great performance but the real revelation is Katherine Jenkins. She may not have that much really to do but she acquits herself extremely well. Smith was excellent and by now has really made the part his own. It will always be Troughton for me with Hartnell next but Smith is certainly vying for third place now.

The Q&A with Moffat, Smith and Jenkins was enjoyable (Gillan asked an odd question from the audience which I can't repeat as it would be a partial spoiler) and the trailer for Season 32 was impressive although of course clips of visuals do not a decent script make.

I'm looking forward to hearing what others think....

Alejandro Riera

Re: Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol

Postby Alejandro Riera » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:53 pm

I…can't…wait!!!!!

A quick reminder to my fellow webderlanders: A Christmas Carol will be broadcast Christmas Day on BBC America at 9/8 Central, so let's keep this thread open for immediate non-spoilery comments (Hey, Steve Evil, any news on when it's being broadcast in Canada? Is BBC America part of any of Canada's cable providers?)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:41 pm

In Canada, Doctor Who is the property of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, who despite somehow or other getting co-production credits for the first series, have never since shown any of the episodes anywhere near their original release date. (And then, badly edited).

While I'm staying in the UK now, I've chosen this time of year to go back home, and so will probably be the last one to see it :evil:

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:47 am

Please don't spoil it for others by posting any details once you've seen it as it is pretty special.

I think Moffat has given the series a real shot in the arm and it should be safe and sound now to be around for its fiftieth anniversary. It must have a claim to being the longest running drama series in the world ignoring the soaps - Coronation Street has just had its fiftieth anniversary this month - OK there were two gaps of seven and nine years but it is still recognisably the same show.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Okay, I got lucky. Space chanel had it on Boxing Day. I didn't even mind the commercials as it gave me a chance to refill my drink. . .

Like most of the previous season, it was flawless television, but still left me out in the cold somehow. Maybe I'm just getting old. . .

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:03 am

I've warmed to the series more since Smith took over - Tennant was becoming a latter day Tom towards the end - but the problem for me is that the series' target audience isn't a 52 year old. I don't find myself drawn to rewatch any of the post 2005 version although I can watch the monochrome stuff again and again. Problem is I rarely get the time to watch anything these days.

A Christmas Carol was great although it did of course have a pretty solid base story on which to build.

Return to “Pop Culture”