Good TV

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Good TV

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:24 pm

It's going to reveal even more about my twisted psyche, but: IMHO, the best shows on tv right now are Burn Notice, The Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, Top Gear, Fringe, The Amazing Race and Doctor Who.

Despite several attempts, I've been unable to "get" the uproar around so much of the dramatic programs on cable. I've made several attempts to watch Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc, etc, etc. No dice. No desire whatsoever to see Dallas.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Mad Men is the best thing on tv. Shame on Barber.

Master Chef is back. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee! My one worry is that it looks like African American cooks are getting kicked off early. My bet though is on Felix.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Only the Tennant and Eccleston Doctor Whos; Real Time; Colbert Report; Stuff on History and Science channels; Sherlock. That's about it for me with current stuff.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:24 am

The last season with Smith was better than the last season with Tennant...

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:40 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Mad Men is the best thing on tv. Shame on Barber.

A matter of opinion. As noted above, I never could get into it. Dull. Soap opera with no soap.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:31 pm

Doctor Who ~

I can't say anything for last season's Matt Smith episodes; I was never able to get into Matt Smith, so after several efforts I drifted away from the show. For myself, it begins and ends with Eccleston and Tennant playing the Doctor.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 pm

I cant get into Breaking Bad. Love Mad Men. Still love Greys Anatomy and House which is sadly now gone. Good Wife always appealed. Tom Baker is my Dr. Who and always will be. I have a great love for the eccentric. What you thought I hung around here cause y'all fed me well? Ha!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Chris Hayes's show on MSNBC is must see television.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Old BONANZA episodes!

That smell of manure! Nothin' like it on TV today!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:56 am

As long as we understand the dangers of television, which most of us seem copacetic about. The glass tit should never be our womb. We can get suck, but better that we drink from the well.

Damn, more zen. I'm on fire.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:52 am

Television has been much better than cinema lately. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Because cinema goes for the biggest dollar first. Blame James Cameron.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:22 pm

James Cameron, it's all your fault. Frank said so. lol See Frank I do listen

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Steve Evil - well, British, anyway!

I can't watch most shows here - bad actors, cold monotone deliveries, banal dialog, near-zero characterization, and lots of phony crank-the-tears sentimentalism. Oh, and close shots! NOTHING but close shots and two shots. The style of modern shows turns me off, totally.

The only good stuff can be found on HBO, or the documentary channels.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:15 am

Well, the Brits have their share of crap - they can't seem to get enough of voyeuristic, exploitative "reality" shows - but the BBC still manages to deliver.

I confess I don't watch a whole lot of television. Doctor Who or course continues to be the engine of my existence. I got quite a lot out of BSG before it went all funny. I occasionally catch the odd episode of House or The West Wing or Boston Legal and find them reasonably smart and engaging. Everyone I know goes on about Game of Thrones. My parents loved 24, my brother adored Carnivale, a good friend of mine goes on about Dexter. I don't follow any of it too closely because I'm afraid to commit, but it tends to feed the brain more than anything Hollywood's pooping out nowadays.

That's not to say there aren't good movies - I saw The Fighter, A History of Violence, and The Pirates in an Adventure with the Scientists all within a week of each other - but any time I take a chance on another CGI superhero, or see another trailer for another reboot, remake, sequel, prequel,tie-in, take-off, adaptation, spoof, rom-com, sex-com, I want to shoot myself. It's not that TV is a panacea, but it does seem that someone somewhere is green-lighting intelligent scripts far more often than in tinsel-town.

Return to “Pop Culture”