Good TV

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Good TV

Postby diane bartels » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm

New favorite show The Good Wife. Mostly cause I love the actors. The writings pretty smart too. And it takes place in one beautiful, hockey butt kicking city.

Steve Evil

Re: Good TV

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Well, I finally found some issues of "Alfred Hitchcock presents". That's pretty good.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Undeclared on IFC. took me back to my young self.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Diane, you love Palin's show, admit it.

:mrgreen:

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:03 pm

I've declared The Good Wife to be a logical successor to Boston Legal -- though if they bring Bill Shatner in (especially as a Denny Crane manque), it's reached the shark-jumping moment.

Meanwhile, NBC seems to be intent on topping FOX's record of launching intriguing sf/f series & then beating them to death -- not unlike Star Trek & Firefly. Put out an interesting show, then jerk it all over the schedule, inserting reruns at random, maybe fire the creator & the original writers or just toss the original bible into the trash. I've called The Event "just V with no lizards" -- or maybe Alien Nation with European immigrants. Hype the hell out of the debut, then do whatever's necessary to keep a united fan base from forming. I still miss Kings, which was just starting to get literarily interesting. Can't wait to see what they do with The Cape...

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Frank. I can no longer hide my true feelings under the shell of pseudo-liberalism and indifference. I love you, my dear little ohio stud muffin, and I love me some Sarah puddin' too. Let's run away together; Sarah sweetie can aim and shoot the whipped cream while we.... But need I state the obvious. Indoctrinate me amd Mrs. Palin oh comrade Church. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :P

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:18 pm

MMMMM... Diane

For your own good, and the good of the members of this board, may I make a small request?

You really do need to get back on those meds girlfriend. You're scaring me, and I don't scare that easily ya know.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Would that make good television?

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Oh fuck a duck.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Spoken from the girl who digs S&M. haha

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:14 am

Frank

It's not my fault that you're more interesting when you are frustratedly sextraited is it?

And lets not forget that this girl is also in to BD as well as the SM!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Ingrid Pitt died. Damn. Had many fantasies as a boy.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:09 am

I remember this thread and I founded it. Mad Men is excellent TV; I totally disagree with some decisions the writers made this season, but I disagree bc I give a damn about the characters. The acting and production values are also still high. While never something I can sit thru, Breaking Bad gets kudos from my family and friends alike. Grey's Anantomy while showing its age, still produces some good drama, the Good Wife would be an intellectual for the acting as well as aesthetic pleasure to watch even if the stories were bad which they are not. I watched all of the Grimm season to date b4 watching David's episode and found it good and different. So I think maybe the little screen is outperforming the big screen in creativity. Oh and the Walking Dead. I liked the first season so much I am saving the second to watch in set. Oh I made a pun and not even on purpose.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:32 am

We catch most of our tv on DVD later. The last several years, our schedules have simply made regular viewing impossible. That and we're probably the only house in our zip code that doesn't have cable of satellite, so if I want to see anything happening on HBO I have to rely on the generosity of friends.

That said, the only shows we've been keeping track of seem to be off-beat police shows. Top of our list, still, is Castle, which at the end of 4 seasons I find still smart, funny, dramatic, and some of the cleverest writing on network. Second to that, we were pretty fond of Body of Proof, me mainly because I really like Dana Delaney. Really. A lot.

That said, I think the best tv writing is on cable. We're watching The Wire on DVD and it is absolutely gripping. Before that, Rome topped my list of all-time best-written-and-produced television shows ever. (I was amused to see a third of the cast of Rome in John Carter of Mars.

Now, confession time. A few years ago I was in D.C. for the Center for the Book and they were running a Madmen marathon. So I took a couple of blocks of nothing-else-to-do hotel time to see what all the blather was about.

Huh? This is one I don't get. Good writing? Sure. Smart production? Check. First-rate acting? Absolutely. Worth watching? Uh uh. Boring. What the hell? I watched maybe ten episodes that weekend and couldn't get involved. I didn't give a shit about any of these people, not even enough to dislike. They have done a marvelous job capturing an era...and we can now see why the Sixties happened. In reaction to the bland, pureed, non-culture preceding the counterculture.

Current best tv? Well, duh. Game of Thrones

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 pm

I have something of a confession:

I have my own "GOOD" tv. It's all on a proprietary network called "the Robbie channel".

15 years of recorded shows and movies off cable, and many on dvd, all collected and shelved. My place looks like miniture Blockbuster (but with better and broader selection).

I don't have to put up with shit. I have so much at my beck and call as my whims desire. Now, if only the REST of my life would work out this way!

Return to “Pop Culture”