Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:53 am

I adored Blake's 7. It had a very "dry" style that took some getting used to, but was well worth the effort. The early episodes especially were really well written and tightly plotted. I enjoyed the first season much more than the second, but haven't seen all of them yet so. . .

The Doctor Who connection is deep: its chief writer was non other than Terry Nation, the guy who gave us Daleks!

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:10 am

Loved B7 back in the day. I understand the reboot (of course there's a reboot; these days, there's always a reboot) is in development hell.

I found FARSCAPE a fair conceptual cousin to B7.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:12 am

Franklin starred in B7 and THE STARLOST. He was a key grip. It's why we keep him around.

i am watching the hypnotic tiles of a mah jong setup. And drinking. Coffee. Irish.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:18 pm

I mentioned in another thread that I am listening to elements of the INTERSTELLAR soundtrack. One of my gut reactions to the film -- which I loved -- is that it was startlingly claustrophobic.

No spoilers. Just that I felt the film, despite being told on a (literally) galactic scale, was intensely constricted and confined. The soundtrack reinforces this impression.

Did anyone else have that response?
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:48 pm

A lot of time was spent inside: underground, in spacecraft, etc. I can see how Interstellar could have a claustrophobic effect.

I'm about three episodes into Breaking Bad. A six-season Film Noir. The camera work is amazing and the characters have me fascinated. It's also interesting who I started liking or disliking and am slowly changing my mind about.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Chuck, Breaking Bad was worth the time watching!. I like gritty TV like this, something real, not callow people on reality shows.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:16 am

More like "reality" shows. Meh.

Chuck

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:08 am

Then only reality shows -- loosely defined -- we watch are The Voice and The Amazing Race, neither of which need explanation or defense.

I have been both amused and appalled by the voyeur television which has emerged as a mainstay of so many cable channels which used to claim they were bastions of good television as opposed to the broadcasting networks. Bravo, TLC, A&E, etc. (Remember when Bravo meant symphonies and A&E stood for "Arts and Entertainment"?)

BTW -- I DO prefer the nomenclature of "Voyeur TV" versus "Reality TV', since the majority of "reality" television...isn't. It differentiates the legitimate and sometimes captivating competition shows -- like Amazing Race, or some of the cooking shows...some... -- from the pure voyeurism of Honey Boo Boo, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Duck Dynasty, etc.

I kick myself to a small degree for not pursuing my career into broadcasting -- I felt it would be too difficult to move to a secondary market and work my way back up. This was, of course, when cable was just getting its start. (MTV had just premiered and ESPN was confined to small control rooms and cheap equipment.)

I figure as a producer I can certainly come up with better, more appealing product that is currently aired. (Monday morning quarterbacking is always easy.)

*sigh*
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 pm

I gotta mock you Barber for watching the Voice. lol. All in love.

They love stars, but quality is about talent.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I gotta mock you Barber for watching the Voice. lol. All in love.

They love stars, but quality is about talent.

You're not mocking me, you're mocking Cris. I don't watch it...she does. As she notes, The Voice is a much better and professional show than either American Idol or X-Factor (which is cancelled). As a singer, she respects certain aspects -- though not all -- of the show.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Cris is allowed. Her hubby is always away. Mean hubby. lol

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:35 am

ATSayre

Postby ATSayre » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:38 am

A friend turned me on two British shows recently that were amazing. Very twisted, though.
The first is called Black Mirror (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085059/?ref_=nv_sr_1). Its a anthology series kind of in the vein of The Twilight Zone. About six episodes broken over two series, with a mild sci-fi/ speculative fiction bent. it has one or two clunkers in there, but at its best it is stunning. They just went up on Netflix in the US. An there's a Xmas special out in the UK on the 16th.
And the second is a show called Utopia (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/). Not to be confused with the Fox reality show. This is a whole different kind of thing. The basic premise is a group of fans of a graphic novel get sucked into this crazy world wide conspiracy when they get a copy of a to the sequel graphic novel and that the twisted events in the graphic novel are all true. That sounds far more bland than it really is. Honest to God I don't know how to adequately describe this show. Dark conspiracy mixed with synth pop? You have to just watch it. While I think you could get the first series DVD at amazon, its otherwise not available in the states for streaming yet. So to watch it you have to get... creative.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 am

On You Tube, THE AIRSHIP DESTROYER (1909), an early British SF/Technothriller about a heroic young inventor who wants to marry his girl, but Potential Dad-In-Law says no way, but then Britain is attacked by a fleet of airships from some Other Country (guess who), bombing the crap out of everything in sight, so Our Hero finishes his invention, The Airship Destroyer, a guided surface to air missile that blows one of the airships out of the sky, Britain wins Bad Dad is dead, Hero and his lady will get married, THE END. It's seven surviving minutes out of a 20 minute movie, but that doesn't seem to hurt it too much. A primitive film with a couple of accurate predictions about the future. Three, if you include the First World War. The condition of the film is remarkably good.

I also watched Edison's FRANKENSTEIN (1910), a twelve minute picture that covers the highlights of the story and has a primitive but effective visual effect for the creation sequence. More alchemy than science. Some scenes are badly deteriorated, but it's good that the film survived.

Chuck

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:43 am

Saw Gravity finally. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Yes, there are some errors in science (one big one that bothers me every time I see it, like it did in Red Planet, but I understand why it was used---for dramatic reasons that paid off eventually, so I'm giving it a pass) but there was so much right about it that i almost feel like a spoil sport noticing the mistakes. It is a nailbiter and the last three minutes is WONDERFUL, emotionally speaking. And, then, there's Sandra Bullock.

Return to “Pop Culture”