Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Steve Evil wrote:The Outer Limits - "Soldier". Got a whole set of the DVDs for $16.99 (CDN). Great stuff. Unca Harlan is in fine form, but I gotta be honest - and don't tell him I said so! - I only saw a vague connection with Terminator. I mean, where was the killer robot? The Sarah Connor? The time-travel paradox? I suppose watching this may have triggered other scenarios in Cameron's imagination -"hey! Forget the linguist, let's focus on the other solider!" - but is that plagerism? I guess it's not for me to decide. . .

My understanding is that it was Cameron who made a big deal in an interview about "ripping off'' Soldier and Demon for the Terminator. HE couldn't really be expected to just sit back while Cameron waved it in his face. I think if stupid Cameron had kept his mouth shut about it nothing would have come of it.

Of course those of you who know HE might have access to some info I wouldn't but that was my impression of the matter.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:09 pm

ps This is not an isolated incident. Artist Roger Dean currently has some litigation going against Cameron. (Watch AVATAR and then dig out your old YES album covers.) And somebody should notify the James Blish estate. Watch AVATAR and go reread A Case of Conscience, Blish's Hugo award winning novel from 1959. Think trees.

You do have to hand it Cameron. He does know the field well enough to know who to rip. But if you're not going to respect the artist then you gotta pay.

Note: No need to watch AVATAR twice. One viewing will do it.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:50 pm

True enough - if you brag openly about ripping someone off, you should not be surprised if that someone comes after you.

Cool episode. ..

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Hey, are there any "New Tricks" fans here?

For the uninitiated, that's a British television police procedural that's been running since 2003. Outstanding show. Something you'd NEVER see on American television, where ageism runs rampant. A mystery show in the "cold case" genre, but with the twist that the police re-examining the old cases are actually ex-police, ie. a bunch of amazing old geezers who had previously been forced into retirement for various reasons. They're under the command of a lady detective superintendent who ran afoul of the old boy network, and was more or less punished by having this job dropped in her lap. The mysteries are extremely well thought out, the acting is superb, but best of all are the characters, all of whom are allowed to evolve through the series to expose more complexity and inner demons and waffling morals in the face of the tragedies and sadness they face, both in the crimes they solve and within their own lives.

Curious? By all means, find the first season and start at the beginning. It's not like a soap opera, you don't need to know a thing about past episodes to appreciate any particular story, but you REALLY want to see the characters grow together. That's what makes this series nothing short of extraordinary.

The ugliest man in science fiction gives it all five stars!
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:41 am

SPY KIDS 4
BARNEY GOES TO THE ZOO
KIPPER (the dog with the slipper)
WILD CHINA

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Yes, I have watched New Tricks and enjoyed it immensely.. .

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:56 pm

"New Tricks", the early seasons are the best. More recently I can't say they've jumped the shark in any way, but the past two seasons they seemed to have gotten a bit "tired". I read recently that the actors had been rebelling against the writers because they felt the scripts had gotten weak. One of the original actors left the series two seasons back because he felt they had exhausted the possibilities (sad, because he was by far the most complex and compelling character), and then this most recent season another of the originals decided to leave after clashing with the writers. They were both convincingly "retired" out of the line-up, but it was sad to see them go. Now I understand that the lady detective is leaving as well. I'm not feeling the love for the upcoming season, but time will tell. Meanwhile, the seasons 2003 through 2010 were simply wonderful.
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:33 pm

The Brits at least know when to call it quits, so if they're already running out of ideas, it probably won't last much longer.

All the same, pity to see it go. ..

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:27 pm

The Brits at least know when to call it quits, so if they're already running out of ideas, it probably won't last much longer.

Can't let a little thing like running our of ideas stop you. I remember growing up with horse operas like Bonanza and Gunsmoke which lasted for decades. I mean Jeez how many times can the town Marshall draw down on the bank robbers?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:04 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:The Brits at least know when to call it quits, so if they're already running out of ideas, it probably won't last much longer.

Can't let a little thing like running our of ideas stop you. I remember growing up with horse operas like Bonanza and Gunsmoke which lasted for decades. I mean Jeez how many times can the town Marshall draw down on the bank robbers?

Decades.

Obviously.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:37 pm

The Outer Limits - "Soldier". Got a whole set of the DVDs for $16.99 (CDN). Great stuff. Unca Harlan is in fine form, but I gotta be honest - and don't tell him I said so! - I only saw a vague connection with Terminator. I mean, where was the killer robot? The Sarah Connor? The time-travel paradox? I suppose watching this may have triggered other scenarios in Cameron's imagination -"hey! Forget the linguist, let's focus on the other solider!" - but is that plagerism? I guess it's not for me to decide. . .

Harlan once chewed my ass out for this very same question. At the time, I'd only read the original short story, where the connections between Harlan's work and Cameron's action/horror explode-a-thon were much more tenuous. The OUTER LIMITS adaptation was the version Cameron foolishly boasted about ripping off. It's been too long since the man's had his gas giant-sized ego eviscerated like that.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Ben -

I think that's the common consensus, including Harlan's. Had Cameron not boasted in a public forum that he stole the ideas from a couple of old OL episodes, there wouldn't have been much of a flap. But, given a very public admission of theft it was almost a no-brainer for Harlan to have gone after him. Very stupid on Cameron's part.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:07 am

Slowly ploughing through the rest of the Outer Limits collection. Great stuff. But I do wish they labelled the discs more clearly. . .

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:14 am

We received our dvd set of Sherlock Season 3. Last night we watched The Signs of Three. That is the most delightful best man's performance I think I've ever seen.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:55 am

ROBOCOP 2014 is essentially ROBOCOP 1987 rebuilt by Omni Consumer Products. This time, the real evil corporate executives are the ones lurking on the MGM and Columbia backlots.

Return to “Pop Culture”