Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben W.

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Ben W. » Mon May 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Also: I don't like Luis Bunuel.

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon May 14, 2012 3:00 pm

I recently rewatched (2nd viewing) a weird little film; "Neighbors" With belushi and ackroyd on Crackel... don't know if it's still available.
A calm, quiet, rather bizzare piece. Some cool visual and sound cues, kinda moody-creepy paranoid comedy.
Kinda like "Rhinoceros" with mostel, k. black(?) and g. wilder, though not as surreal. Another one worth a third view , for me (someday).

still there...
http://www.crackle.com/c/Neighbors
A characterization and plot line done by tim kazurinsky alone makes it worth a visit every few years.

bob's burgers, archer, dr katz, home movies... all good for me.

there are some interesting docs about and with L. Bunel that might be of interest. Sometimes with deconstruction or explanation comes appreciation.
or not...
I don't dislike his work, some of the satire and parody amuse, some is sad and cruel...
I'm not making a point to see it all, i think i've seen enough to understand his view. Watching the interviews was the most engaging, one extra dvd from 2003(?) for inclusion with "charm of the bourgoisie" put most of the work i have seen nicely in context , for me.
follow your bliss,mike

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Mon May 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Ben W. wrote:Also: I don't like Luis Bunuel.

Hey Ben. Wow. This is where it gets weird. Neither do I! I mentioned Brunuel because there were so many people jumping on the "up with Brunuel" ship the other day, I thought I'd try a couple more of his films to see if it was just me. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm in your camp. I really don't enjoy Brunuel, as much as I've seen of his work so far. Not as bad as Ingmar Bergman. I absolutely detest Bergman, and upon the urgings of others whose opinions I respect, I watched practically everything he did. Ugh! Anyway, within the context of what I was saying in my earlier post, my point was just to try something different rather than waste precious time on repeat viewings of obvious limited dreck. Doesn't matter anymore in light of how I misunderstood your original message, but still good advice in general...I think.

I don't use a chainsaw. A machete is so much more personal, and the splatter patterns are more interesting...

My bad. Your message (even upon re-examination) reads very much like for whatever reason you made a conscious decision of loading TROPICAL THUNDER in the VCR for repeat critical review, and I couldn't fathom why somebody as intelligent as you would bother. I see now why you were more or less stuck in front of it. That's happened to me on far too many occasions (most especially at the home of a good friend who made me sit through DEAD SOLID PERFECT at least six times because he insists it's the greatest golf movie ever made...there's an oxymoron in there somewhere, I'm sure). A thought for the future; next time you want to voice your reflections on something that you gave "subsequent viewing", you might want to consider letting us know WHY you watched it again. By choice or by circumstances puts a completely different spin on it!

Jus' sayin'.

Lori, for what it's worth, BLUES BROTHERS rocks. But the second (and last) time I saw it was a bit taxing because there was nothing surprising to it. I mentioned MR. HULOT'S HOLIDAY earlier. I'm serious, see if you can find it. Delightful. Uplifting. A movie you CAN watch over and over, as necessary, when you're feeling down. If you can't find it, girlfriend, I'll get a copy for you.

Duane, I tried getting into BOB'S BURGERS, but I don't think I've ever sat through an entire half hour. At the first commercial I start channel surfing and don't come back to it. I had no idea there was any sort of NAPOLEON DYNAMITE thing on the boob tube, but I can't imagine it doing anything to build on or expand the experience of the movie. Some things are much better left alone. It's one of those films I'll probably never watch again for fear of destroying the first impression. It was that charming...

Ben, a second apology, just because.
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon May 14, 2012 8:50 pm

My name is Victoria Winters...

As I think I've commented before I have video junkie friend who seems to buy most of the complete TV series as they're released. I can't really make fun of him anymore because at this point he's responsible for me seeing the West Wing,Babylon Five, X-Files, Firefly and now... (cue the theremin)

Dark Shadows

I'm only about halfway through the first volume. I wasn't really a fan back in the olden times of yore. When I was a kid the last thing I wanted to do was get home from school and sit in front of the TV. I mostly remember the tail end of the series where they were constantly going back in time and there were werewolves and witches and vampires all over the place.

I'm really enjoying it. The things that would probably drive many people crazy now are the things I like most about it. It's staginess. That nothing ever really happens and people just stand around and talk all the time. It's a soap. With vampires.

I say the first volume but the shows begin with the appearence of Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins, the sharped tooth one. Apparently the show had already been going on for a year before Frid appeared and the show was just this close to being canceled before his character caused it to take off. The early storyline is pretty much a haircut of Dracula with a nubile young damsel in distress. There is a feature with a twenty minute or so edited synopsis of what happened during the first year. Creates a great mood and this will be a good rainy Sunday afternoon show.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 15, 2012 9:22 am

Two scenes from Evil Dead 2 just to show how damned great the film is. True art:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ciwAd9D8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6XHIuUr ... ure=relmfu

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Wed May 16, 2012 3:09 am

JERRY MAGUIRE.

Funny coincidence: This was playing on tv just the other day, shortly after I'd watched TROPIC THUNDER again. Must be a Tom Cruise kind of week.

For all the movie's pretensions towards being "realistic" (Jerry's firing and public humiliation after exposing his conscience to his amoral peers comes to mind), not once does it attempt to explain what kind of unbelievable moron would be willing to sign up a guy called Bob-fucking-Sugar as his sports agent.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 am

Watching Canadian television. Good heavens, the COOL stuff we don't get...

Little Mosque on the Prairie is a simple little half-hour sitcom, adequately described by the title. The ubiquitous Carlo Rota is a highlight.

Da Vinci's Inquest. Long-running cop show centered around a crusading coroner, Canadian politics, the plight of Native Americans, & the sociopolitics of prostitution. Addresses difficult issues bluntly, yet moves gracefully along with a minimum of explosions & car chases. Most of the cast have been popping up on various U.S. dramas, particularly Ian Tracey, a name you likely don't know but a face you'd spot in a moment (like "Adam Worth" on Sanctuary).

Death Comes to Town. Eight-part half-hour miniseries with the Kids in the Hall cast. Regularly hilarious, occasionally brilliant.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Thu May 17, 2012 5:14 pm

THE OBLONGS.

Has anyone else here seen this cartoon? A family of poor mutants living under the shadow of the rich and beautiful. First broadcast in the early 2000's, watching an episode now during our current economic kerfuffle imbues it with a decidedly nastier sting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04aShHY ... ure=relmfu

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 24, 2012 9:19 pm

While everybody heads out of town for the holiday weekend I'm staying home and enjoying the quiet. All the tourists will be down at the Mall so I'm camping out at the AFI Silver Theater up in Silver Spring.

This weekend

Hayao Miyazaki's PRINCESS MONONOKE

Hal Ashby's BEING THERE

Wim Wenders' WINGS OF DESIRE

and to cap it all off on sunday

PATTON on a 70mm print.

Please join me and I'll spring for the pop corn.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm sorry, but Minority Report is a great film.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed May 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Frank why are you sorry that Minority Report is a great film?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 31, 2012 8:33 am

Spielberg's going to do the Lincoln movie. Hope it doesn't water down the relationship with his wife, who was batshit crazy. Doris Kearns Goodwin did the story, which concerns me, since she's part of a whole host of centrist, hack historians, who tend to miss certain historical facts so that they can be liked by the elite.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu May 31, 2012 10:24 am

I'm camping out at the AFI Silver Theater up in Silver Spring.

Ezra, while I feel the absence of some of the DC region's pleasantries now that I shack up in Houston, I truly miss in the deepest depths of my heart the AFI Silver. I remain subscribed to their emails because I need to know they're still there, and vital, and showing a metric fuck-ton of great film, even if I'm stuck here not seeing any of it.

I wish the AFI would take over and renovate and inhabit the old River Oaks theater down here. But that's really only because relocation has robbed me of my cinematic crack, and the Alamo Cinema and Draft House is NOT the answer when the question is "Where should I go see LAWRENCE OF ARABIA?"

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 31, 2012 12:11 pm

Lawrence is dead. Runz.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 31, 2012 9:24 pm

FinderDoug wrote:
I'm camping out at the AFI Silver Theater up in Silver Spring.

Ezra, while I feel the absence of some of the DC region's pleasantries now that I shack up in Houston, I truly miss in the deepest depths of my heart the AFI Silver. I remain subscribed to their emails because I need to know they're still there, and vital, and showing a metric fuck-ton of great film, even if I'm stuck here not seeing any of it.

I wish the AFI would take over and renovate and inhabit the old River Oaks theater down here. But that's really only because relocation has robbed me of my cinematic crack, and the Alamo Cinema and Draft House is NOT the answer when the question is "Where should I go see LAWRENCE OF ARABIA?"

Yeah the Silver Theater is a precious resource. For those of you interested look here-

http://www.afi.com/silver/about/history.aspx

It's a plush old Art Deco movie palace built right after WWI. Two things cross your mind when you go in. First, how beautiful it is, and then how the hell could anybody have ever thought about tearing it down? I remember when the AFI screened its films down at the Kennedy Center. One did not go there to enjoy the films so much as to study them. The snoots were so scandalized at the thought of relocating amongst the vulgar way out in Silver Spring. Best thing they ever did. Speaking of L of A I found out they're planning to have a 70mm film festival later this summer. No list yet but you can bet it'll include some of the usual suspects.

Return to “Pop Culture”