Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben W.

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Ben W. » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:46 am

THE GATE II: TRESPASSERS. Tibor Takacs, 1990.

Mediocre sequel to a fun little cult flick. I watched it out of my guilty pleasure for the fleshy, goopy texture of 1980's horror films. (Yeah, I know the release date reads "1990"'. But apparently this sat on the shelf for three years.) However, what really stood out in GATE II, just like the original, were the stop-motion effects used for the monsters. I'd forgotten just how gnarly those old-school Harryhausen-style model animations could appear; even in a forgettable B-movie, they still looked better than the CGI-spawned video game bosses of CLASH OF THE TITANS (2010). Their jerky, nightmarish quality is something CGI can't quite channel, or at least not easily. Maybe CGI simply looks too damn sleek to the human eye, regardless of the animator's attempts otherwise, to be completely effective. This isn't to say that stop-motion can't be badly done as well; check out JACK THE GIANT KILLER for evidence, or hell, any random Gumby short.

It begs the question if stop-motion is due for some manner of comeback to cinema screens, but I don't know how one would go about deliberately utilizing stop-motion over CGI without seeming recklessly nostalgic or "geeky".

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:46 am

"Sin City" is showing free on hulu for another 2 weeks.
follow your bliss,mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:52 am

" The Station Agent (2003)" is on as well. good flik.
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:58 pm

So is Gangs Of New York. Yeaaa.

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:47 pm

today:
something from edge.org
(the last half of) Discarded &...
Ellison:DWST
Cinefamily (with a little luck)
tomorrow (starting at midnight):
Key Largo
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (1st view)
follow your bliss,mike

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:58 pm

You know, I sometimes believe some of the backlash to the televised version of THE DISCARDED was fuelled in part by people expecting (or wanting) something completely different. Perhaps they thought they were in for a fast-paced techno-thriller with a typical "Outer Limits/Twilight Zone"-style twist ending. What they got was a deliberately slow-paced character piece about a bunch of misshapen losers floating in space. That kind of thing just doesn't fly with today's post-LOST viewing audience.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Blackadder.

Blackadder: It is said, Percy, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God.
Percy: Yes, I've heard that.
Blackadder: Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best!

Blackadder: Get the door, Baldrick.
[There is a crash. Baldrick enters, carrying a door.]
Blackadder: Baldrick, I would advise you to make the explanation you are about to give... phenomenally good.
Baldrick: You said "Get the door."
Blackadder: Not good enough. You're fired.
Baldrick: But my lord, I've been in your family since 1532!
Blackadder: So has syphilis! Now get out!

Blackadder, or the Cynic's Guide to History. Mad Queen Elizabeth, England ruled by inbred morons, etc.

A roaring good time, stomping all over English history.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:26 am

When it comes to Blackadder I have to admit to thinking that Blackadder Goes Forth has to be the best one.

The setting of the World War One trenches and the lunacy of war is just perfect. Add the complete and utter nut that is Lord Andrew Hogmanay Melchett... Bloody perfection. It has some of the best gags I have ever seen on TV, both hilariously funny and deeply subtle.

The end of the last episode has to go down in history as one of the best pieces of television ever made. I defy anyone, no matter how hard hearted and cynical to watch that and not have a lump in their throat and a tear welling in their eye. Again just perfect.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:32 am

Blackadder Goes Forth is also a favorite of mine. The scene with Field Marshall Haig, setting up his forces on a model of the battlefield, then casually knocking them all down and sweeping them into a dustbin, all while talking to Capt. Blackadder on the phone pretty much tells you all you need to know about World War I, the premier blunder of the 20th Century.

Or as Melchett would say, "BA-A-A-A-A-H!"

Chuck

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:35 am

Melchett: Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.
Blackadder: Ah. Would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking very slowly towards the enemy?
Captain Darling: How could you possibly know that, Blackadder? It's classified information!

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Agreed. All the Blackadders were great, but Goes Forth had the extra dimentsion of tragedy and absurdity that just set it apart. I've read many books and poems and films of that episode of human history, and yet nothing quite captures the sheer idiocy, the sheer scale of folly, the utterly mind boggling waste of the conflict than Blackadder Goes Forth. Sometimes it takes comedy to really highlight tragedy.

Who'd notice another madman around here?

K. M. Kirby

Stand on Zany-zabar

Postby K. M. Kirby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:34 pm

With local channels airing 5+ episodes every eve, I was eventually impelled to catch up on the half-hour sitcom Big Bang Theory. Now, months later, it's rare to catch an episode that I haven't already watched two or times already. Still unable to manage catching one on its first airdate, I've no idea where the various hog-tied and demeaning interrelationships are currently acting themselves out. However, many of the lead characters are members of "Fandom" so it's somewhat rewarding to note the way television writers can bounce some ideas around within the context of genre fiction. The show is also hilarious, at times, despite several incidents of seemingly boneheaded character development.
--kk

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:21 am

THE GREY. Joe Carnahan, 2012.

Spoilers ahead. Impressive film with a wonderfully frigid atmosphere and a few fine performances, although the ending came off as the director trying to be too clever for his own good. Imagine if PREDATOR had slammed cut to black just before Arnold fought the alien. It actually reminded me of HELL IN THE PACIFIC, a similar "man against the elements" movie which also featured a rather unintentionally hilarious abrupt end.

Now, don't get me wrong here; I can understand what Carnahan was trying to do with the ending ("It's not about the fight, it's about one man's will to live", yadda yadda yadda), but even then it feels like using fancy-schmancy film scholar metaphors to justify what basically amounts to a big cheat.

Am I alone with this response? Judging from the movie's box office, probably.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Ben my problem with the movie is the one that will be dismissed immediately and condsidered silly at best. That is, it perpetuates a harmful myth about wolves. Wolves are quite shy and have been known to abandon prey at the approach of a human. It is amazing that fully authenticated cases of a healthy wolf attacking a human being on the North American continent are extremely rare and largely consist of anecdotal reports. Agression by wolves is overwhelmingly the result of rabies, or habitat encroachment or the presence of other animals considered prey like domesticated dogs and small livestock.

But who cares, right? It's just a movie!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Ben my problem with the movie is the one that will be dismissed immediately and condsidered silly at best. That is, it perpetuates a harmful myth about wolves. Wolves are quite shy and have been known to abandon prey at the approach of a human. It is amazing that fully authenticated cases of a healthy wolf attacking a human being on the North American continent are extremely rare and largely consist of anecdotal reports. Agression by wolves is overwhelmingly the result of rabies, or habitat encroachment or the presence of other animals considered prey like domesticated dogs and small livestock.

But who cares, right? It's just a movie!

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you in the slightest; the wolves are straight-up movie monsters in the same vein as Steven Spielberg's giant shark, and should be viewed as such. (I think Liam Neeson confessed this himself during an interview somewhere...)

Return to “Pop Culture”