Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 am

I agree about Firefly. I received the series box as a birthday gift a while back and enjoyed it very much. A great "what might have been". Prepare to marvel at the abject stupidity of the TV production executives who managed to nip this one in the bud.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue May 31, 2011 11:26 am

Davids (Silver and Loftus),

Even though I am a die-hard Whedon fan, for some reason I did not watch Firefly when it was on TV. I started watching it on Netflix Instant Watch last year and fell in love with both the characters and the incredibly detailed universe in which they exist. Since then I have convinced both my girlfriend and her teenaged daughter to watch the show with me and they both greatly enjoy it.

Any time a cast truly enjoys working together, and has a strong connection to the characters they play, that synergy comes through in the show and this was unquestionably true for the cast of Firefly. In interviews after the show was finished, and at various conventions over the years, all members of the cast have had nothing but effusive praise for Firefly and how much they loved working on the set.

I have been re-watching the show in the past few weeks as a refresher, as I will be on a Con panel in another month, talking about Civil War imagery within Firefly.

A long winded response to a question. More succinctly, allow me to answer, hell yes, go out and buy the DVDs (or watch them or Netflix, your choice)

You know how to reach me if you have any more detailed questions,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Tue May 31, 2011 3:38 pm

Okay, regarding "Firefly", nuff said!!! I'm ordering the DVD set this week!!! Thanks...
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue May 31, 2011 5:17 pm

Reddragon 70 wrote:
For example, Shepard Book. He is much more than he appears to be, or has been in the past. He was a some kind of big shot in the Alliance. All hinted at, and no doubt would have been revealed had the show been allowed to progress.

The full story of Shepherd Book is told in the hard cover graphic novel, The Shepherd's Tale. It's written by Joss and Zack Whedon, so you can consider it 'cannon'. The artwork by Chris Samnee is superb and the cover art by Steve Morris is even better.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:06 am

Having completed Slings and Arrows we've moved on to a re-watch of Firefly. Just through the pilot and The Train Job and it's interesting to see the threads Wheadon was laying down for future use. I really rate this one of the greater shames of the quick axe at Fox - given a couple of years to build its mythology, this one would have soared.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:44 am

Chuck, The Shephers's Tale is excellent, a true must buy for anyone who loved Firefly. The artwork, honestly, did not do it for me, but the story and the dialogue absolutely rang true

Fox just never got the show, and I do wonder why they greenlit it at all. If this woudl have gotten started on F/X or even the SciFi Channel (as it was known at the time), the show would have had a much longer life
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:44 am

Tonight it's John Frankenheimer. Seven Days in May and The Manchurian Candidate. Frankenheimer was at the top of his form in the sixties.

Chuck

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:01 am

Recently HD Net ran both Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal, which now reside on my dvr for tomorrow morning.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:05 am

I haven't seen the remake, but the original Manchurian Candidate (Frankenheimer's) is absolutely one of my favorite political thrillers. I assume this is a reviewing, yes Chuck?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:07 am

Manchurian Candidate is the more famous film but I'm a huge fan of Seven Days in May. One of Rod Serling's best scripts and aside from the big stars a whole boatload of wonderful character actors. I particularly enjoy Edmund O'Brien as the crusty Senator from Georgia (!) and George McCready as the snooty advisor to the President.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:19 am

I assume this is a reviewing, yes Chuck?

Correct. I own the DVD's for both Manchurian and Seven Days. I'd love to get Seconds, but it's out of production and the price is going up.

I particularly enjoy Edmund O'Brien as the crusty Senator from Georgia (!) and George McCready as the snooty advisor to the President.

And let's not forget Whit Bissell as the oily Senator Prentiss. Whit is one of my favorite character actors. He lent class to everything he did, even I Was A Teenage Werewolf.

"...And you call yourself a scientist!"

Chuck

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:28 am

Chuck Messer wrote: I'd love to get Seconds, but it's out of production and the price is going up.

And that's a dirty shame. A nearly forgotten masterpiece of science fictional suspense, arguably the finest soft science fiction film ever made, a powerful bit of acting on Rock Hudson's part (in a rare opportunity where he was actually allowed to do so), and not even a hint of a DVD release on the horizon. Criminal. I remember seeing "Seconds" for the first time on Creature Features (with the incomparable Bob Wilkins as host) when i was about 11, and it scared the crap out of me! Never forgot it, and sought it out on other late night showings for years after. I don't believe I've seen it in over three decades.
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:47 am

Re Seconds

It really is a terrific piece of work. The dvd may be unavailable right now (unless you want to pay big bucks for a used copy), but it is available for viewing through Amazon. Haven't checked iTunes.

You guys really want to keep an eye on the Turner Classic Movies schedule though and have the vcr/dvr/whatever-vr ready. It's been shown there at least two or three times during the last year, so it's a safe bet that it'll turn up there again. I look over their listings every few weeks -- if I notice it on the schedule will post info here.

Bests to all,

--tr
--tr

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:06 am

saw "spiral road " as a kid; scared the crap out of me.
rewatched it a year or so ago; still pretty good.
rented it along with "seconds". 3rd or 4th viewing there.
burl ives had a range of good stuff.
follow your bliss,mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 am

cool; a new quiz question.
follow your bliss,mike

Return to “Pop Culture”