Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Has anybody seen the new GAME OF THRONES on HBO? Apparently it's based on George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series of fantasy novels. Any good?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Has anybody seen the new GAME OF THRONES on HBO? Apparently it's based on George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series of fantasy novels. Any good?
links here to many opinions:
http://grrm.livejournal.com/211424.html
grrm does not seem upset over it
i will likely see it when available to me (net or disc)
don't recall specifics, but i have enjoyed martin's work
follow your bliss,mike

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 am

I am watching Game Of Thrones along with my wife. Both of us think its bloody good. Lots of political intrigue and backstabbing, sex, violence, even more sex, incest more intrigue..... Well you get the picture. Personally I think its very well done, perfectly marrying the fantasy world with the reality that such a world is not going to be all flowers and butterflies but will be grim, harsh and full of pain and woe.

The cast is excellent too, a lot of great talent from the UK and quite a lot from Scotland I am proud to say. Well worth a look if you fancy leaving the Lord Of The Rings whimsy behind and want something with a little more bite.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:07 am

A good friend of mine gave me a copy of Game of Thrones to read, as he loved it. Gotta say, it did nothing for me. I just found myself not caring at all about any of the characters within the story, possibly because there were so damn many.

Does the mini-series do a better job on characterization?
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:45 am

Mark, i will confess to not having read the books. The TV series though, is frankly wonderful. A great cast, well acted and well written. I am hooked, even though, as you said, loads of characters to try and remember. I am particularily intrigued by the dwarf, Tyrion Lannister. He is a great character and damned well played too. For all that he is a deviant in the bedroom department, he is smart as hell and gets to make some wonderful observations.

It is also filled with some very gory scenes, liberal amounts of sex, more plots than a building conglomerate and enough swearing to make a censor foam at the mouth. In other words, my kind of TV. The kind that makes obscene gestures towards prudish morons.

All I can say is watch the first episode. If that doesn't at least interest you then the rest probably wont. Me? I am fucking hooked.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Sword and sorcery really bores me. All of it.

Even if Prince made an album with SAS imagery I wouldn't listen to it.

Iron Maiden did do a song called Flash of the Blade, but I pretend it's about shaving before sound check.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Sean Bean has always been a favorite of mine, so I may check out the show once it is available through Netflix

The one book in the series had some adult oriented scenes, so I am glad that HBO did not try to make the show more Lord of the Rings - like
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:25 pm

How's the colour scheme? Drab colours ruined Jackson's Lord of the Rings for me.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:38 pm

That's an interesting point Steve E, never thought about it like that. The visual style was pretty drab wasn't it? Not the way I remember the feel of the book at all. I suppose they were going for a medieval vibe, shades of brown and flat green?

It will be interesting over the years to see how the movies hold up. I thought they were probably as good as you could expect with moments of real brilliance. My own problem with them was that Jackson was forced by the nature of film to accentuate one aspect of the books over all else - what Frank calls sword and sorcery. There's much more to the books than wacking Orcs but that's exactly the part easiest to present in a film.

My favorite part of the books is the early situations leading to the big hookup in Rivendel. In the fillms that part felt rushed. I thought the best part of the movies was the second section, the whole Eowyn sequence. So much of the books is atmosphere almost impossible to capture visually. Wise move to excise Tom Bombodil. About the only folks who could have filmed that would have been the Disney animation crew that did Fantasia. But it was exactly that fairy tale aspect that makes the book so magical.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:36 am

I finally saw a film curiosity and a bit of cinema history on youtube: the 1910 Edison version of Frankenstein. A little over ten minutes, it takes major liberties, of course. What else could you do in only ten minutes? The creation scene was cleverly done, given the limitations of early, early film. They built a papier mache mannequin over a wooden skeleton and set it on fire, then projected the process in reverse. Flames didn't show terribly well on old black and white film, so the effect was quite good,with the creature growing out of the vat, in a more alchemical approach to creating life.

I'm glad I finally got to see it.
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 pm

I see somebody recently mentioned watching reruns of "Bones" on TV. That and "NCIS" are my two guilty pleasures. The former because the scientific types are definitely NOT portrayed as awkward, they are decidedly comfortable and confident in their geekiness, and the latter because I love the character interplay. Well, I also want to run away with Abby, but that's another story. Anyway, two definite "B movie" type TV shows that are lots of guilty fun, and I never miss them. On the other hand, if you want something gritty and atmospheric and mesmerizing, I highly recommend "The Killing", currently running in episodes Sunday nights on AMC. This is a prolonged story arc concerning a single gruesome murder investigation, and they're already through episode five, so you might be lost figuring out what's going on if you jump in now, but definitely try to catch it from the start when you have the opportunity because it's friggin' amazing.
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:16 am

Silver, you're acting like Bones is Pettycoat Junction or something. Sure, it is the usual police intrigue, but the writing is at least good.

Top writers go to television, because movies are so conservative about topics, even more so than television. There are limits in both, but tv is actually freer, compared to our awful movie culture.

And, Silver, don't be a stranger.

Fucker. lol

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri May 06, 2011 2:53 am

United 93. I thought it appropriate, considering.

Now I need to see something funny. MST3K: The Magic Voyage of Sinbad. "Look! They have the failure sails up!"

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:34 am

I miss Mystery Science Theater 3000. :(

No one shows it here in the UK. It used to be on the Sci-fi channel on a sunday morning, but no more. Oh well.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Red, it is being streamed, for free on youtube. Go over there, watch it and offend Barber. haha.

Batman is there too. yeaaa.

Return to “Pop Culture”