Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:47 pm

He likes Manimal but doesn't like the leading intellectual in the world! I don't care what he thinks about me. That dude is a gift.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:56 pm

FrankChurch wrote:He likes Manimal but doesn't like the leading intellectual in the world! I don't care what he thinks about me. That dude is a gift.

And as a gift he deserves a bit better than you usually give him, but that's a matter for him to take up with you if he sees fit.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Oh, hello Lori. How are you hon?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Saw a magical little Thai picture earlier this week called Uncle Bonbee who can recall his Past Lives.

Almost impossible to describe. It won the Palme d'Or at Cannes so it will get a DVD so check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlPRe9peigI
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Cris and I are watching the Robert Downey Sherlock Holmes.

35 minutes in. Can't say as we're impressed...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 am

If they had not called it Sherlock Holmes, I woul have said it was an OK, enjoyable film. That was NOT Holmes. I know A-T C liked the movie but I came close to throwing a shoe through the screen at several points
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Re: Watcha watchin'?

Postby Moderator » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 am

Actually, after a break to make dinner we resumed the film and both agreed that had it not been for the very slow first 40 minutes it was a good film. As you say, NOT Sherlock Holmes, but a good adventure story featuring a private detective and his associate. Kind of like House without the posse.

One item of note: we also watched the film with subtitles. Too much of Downey's delivery was mumbled, making his comments difficult to follow. That helped quite a bit towards enjoying the remainder of the film.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am

Actually, that is a very good idea that I may steal in the future. Karen often has difficulty hearing a hard British accent, so turninig on subtitles might help her on films like Sherlock Holmes. Thanks!
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Call of Cthulu. One of the best adaptations of Lovecraft, done by fans with a miniscule budget. Atmospheric, creepy, very effective silent film done as if produced in 1926.

The next HPLHS produced film, The Whisperer in Darkness, will be released soon. It's been done as an early 30's talkie. The previews look good.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:12 am

Oh man, that version is brilliant! Silent is really the only format that does Lovecraft justice. Somehow, fancy CGI just wouldn't do the trick. . .

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:03 am

Agreed, I was very impressed with this version. It is a short film, about an hour or so, but it moves along at a very fast pace. Cannot wait to see what is done with Whisperer in the Darkness and wonde what Lovecraft tale will be done next.

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:39 am

Chuck, Steve, & Mark,

Thanks for the mention of CALL OF CTHULHU. Hadn't heard about this one, but will check it out this weekend.

Bests,
--tr

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:03 pm

There's a very good show on NBC about geneology, with celebrities finding out odd facts about their past relatives. Maybe the media if finding out that reality should be about, ah, reality.

Stranger than fiction, anyhoo.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:27 pm

FrankChurch wrote:There's a very good show on NBC about geneology, with celebrities finding out odd facts about their past relatives. Maybe the media if finding out that reality should be about, ah, reality.

Stranger than fiction, anyhoo.

curses
g. paltrow just learned of her rabbinical ancestor's miracle.
from a balcony, his wave of a kerchief (?) stopped a fire threatening the village.
did i hear that correctly?
paltrow was duly impressed; and somehow ...properly receptive to the historical account.

i long for gilligan
i think it's available.
follow your bliss,mike

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Ok gentlemen time to fess up - Ginger or Maryanne? No fair saying menange.

Return to “Pop Culture”