Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 am

EZRA - Fascinatingly enough, Harry Potter has moved a bit beyond Narnia and others. Fairly dark territory this last one. Not a great film by any measure, it is anything but a children's movie (a comparison I presume can be said of the book that preceded it).

LORI - I discovered, long ago, that the outward appearance of "'nilla" allowed me to get away with all manner of surprises. As a friend once noted: "The cops could bust in here, find Barber with a bunch of hookers, a straw up his nose, and junk all over the table in front of him, and *I* would be arrested!"
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 am

Well, I was not expecting to bat 100% on picking shows Karen would enjoy, so I should count myself lucky that I have been able to interest her in as much as I have. One of these days I will have to start watching Torchwood or the new Dr. Who, but I first have to get caught up on my Holmes, both the Jeremy Britt version as well as the new one

Barber, is there any other way to watch Altered States, other than under the influence of alcohol or chemicals? I always thought that was required :twisted: As for your comment about using your appearance to get out of unusual circumstances. The description of that scene was rather specific. You weren't drawing on a past experience, were you?

Mr. Evil, I agree B5 takes a while to get started, which is why I am going to jump ahead a bit and see if it interests here. In talking with my lady last night, I disccoverd that aliens, espeically those wearing elabortae prosthetics, are distracting and unreal to her. She liked Buffy/Angel and Firefly, because they were focused on people, with the outre elements kept to a minimum. My guess is, based on this conversation, that she will not be drawn into B5
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:44 am

Oh No.
It's...The...Last Hand Gun On Earth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgm9H3hmH1o
follow your bliss,mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 am

nick danger
he walks again by night! ruthlessly! i wonder where ruth is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oam6-ge16a0
follow your bliss,mike

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:56 am

When I get home, my old lady knows what I need, and how. A warm, heapin' bowl of Loosner's Castor Oil Flakes. They don't just wash your mouth out, they clean your whole body, right on down the line.
"Oh it ain't no use, if you ain't got the boost. The boost you get from Loosners... Looooosner's!"

How about symptom six or Beeeeeeat the Reaper!?

Ya gotta love Firesign Theater!
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 am

not much to watch, but The Congress of Wonders is good for a chuckle
http://thecongressofwonders.com/
follow your bliss,mike

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 pm

We're currently working our way through the complete run of Farscape on DVD - though predictable in places with some clunky filler episodes and occasionally hammy acting, it remains a lot of fun, with performances and SFX that have in general held up and an overall storyline that has just really begin to kick into high gear (end of season two/start of season three). A diverting semi-classic that's been worth the revisit.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 am

Doug,

Farscape is a show that my Dad loved and I watched a few episodes with him expecting to love it, and I just could not get into it. We started at Season 1, and perhaps that was the problem, as shows often taken at least a season to find themselves. Do you think that the show picks up in later Seasons or is the first season a pretty accurate representation of the show. I ask only because of my experiences with shows like Buffy, Angel, and ST:TNG, where the first season really was bad and subsequent ones improved in quality dramatically

Started watching the new Battlestar Galactica with Karen and she, surprisingly, likes it. I will convert her to a geek yet.......
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Mark

Karen loves you, doesn't that make her geeky enough?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:45 am

Bite me, Koonce :twisted:

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:00 am

I will Goldberg, but ya gotta promise NOT to like it. I don't want to break up a happy couple!

:lol: :evil: :D

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Mark - Farscape does start slow, and has its fair share of "gee, saw THAT coming" episodes that remind of other, better treatments of certain concepts. It does pick up steam as ongoing/arc elements are introduced and character relationships improve. Certain characters almost always prove to be an annoyance to the viewer, but that's not a deal breaker because, well, they ARE an annoyance within the show itself. There are also some instances of vastly lazy writing in which characters just do dumb things.

It's ultimately lighthearted and when it takes itself seriously - and it does at several points - it comports itself with dignity. But you do have to take the good with the bad. And I don't think it ever gets as far down as 1980s Buck Rogers bad.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:45 pm

FinderDoug wrote:And I don't think it ever gets as far down as 1980s Buck Rogers bad.

I got fond memories of that show. . .

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:03 am

stevil,
here's one form of god
The Twilight Zone S03E28 The Little People Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2b8-GZiWM
follow your bliss,mike

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:42 pm

Just when I thought I'd get some work done this evening!

Return to “Pop Culture”