Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:03 pm

I never implied he was a God.

You know Pete Seeger? Wow. I don't agree with his pacifism, but he is wonderful. A very moral man.

I always thought Chomsky was exciting. Different strokes.

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Groucho and the gang improvising.

There's a story -- don't know if it's true or not, but if it ain't it oughtta be, and I can't even remember any more where I read it, but who cares? -- about George S. Kaufman being interviewed backstage during an early performance of THE COCOANUTS. The interviewer was asking a question when Kaufman shushed him and listened to what was happening on stage; after a minute or two he turned back to the interviewer and said, "Sorry. For a minute I thought I heard some of the original dialogue."

Bests to all,
--tr

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:30 pm

My favorite behind the scenes story is retold on Wikipedophile as such:
One quip from Marx concerned his response to Sam Wood, the director of the classic film A Night at the Opera. Furious with the Marx Brothers' ad-libs and antics on the set, Wood yelled in disgust: "You can't make an actor out of clay."

Groucho responded, "Nor a director out of Wood."
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:43 pm

FrankChurch wrote: You know Pete Seeger? Wow. I don't agree with his pacifism, but he is wonderful. A very moral man.

I always thought Chomsky was exciting. Different strokes.

Pete is not really a pacifist. In his song, "Bring Them Home," he states:
If an army invaded this land of mine,
Bring them home, bring them home.
You'd find me out on the firing line,
Bring them home, bring them home.

He is a peaceful guy. Very laid back. And the most moral person I have ever known. That goes morality goes double for his wife, Toshi.

As far as Chomsky is concerned, when I read his speeches it is quite exciting. The way he shows the facts is unparalleled. But when the guy speaks, he is just so monotone, I could fall asleep if I just drank three bottles of Jolt Cola.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:19 am

No doubt. Would have no problem cutting throats if they attacked us like we attack them. I'd go gangsta on those bastards.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:31 am

Just watched Kick Ass. I rather enjoyed it, for all of its over the top violence and serious potty mouthed kid, I thought it was rather good.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:53 am

Zombieland is the mack daddy.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:24 am

Pan's Labyrinth. Wow. What a story, and right in the middle of Franco's Spain. Del Toro is a superb director and would have been a good choice for The Hobbit.

Goes well with hot spiced wine.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:41 pm

Nothing at the moment, but I just found THe Guns of Nararone, Das Boot, and The Bridge Over the River Kwai all on one DVD for £4. . .

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:57 pm

Chuck, while I love Pan's Labrinyth, I do not think that is a film I would ever want to watch udner the influence of alcholo or any hallucinogens. COuld be dangerous.

Since my lady liked Lost, Buffy, Angel & Firefly so mcuh, I thought I would try her on something else, so we watched an episode of Bablyon 5 last night (season 2, not season 1, which was, to put it kindly, not good). She did not dig it initially, so I think I may skip around and have her watch one of the more powerful episodes from season 2, In the Shadow of Z'hadum. Keeping my finegrs crossed that this might spark her interest, as Bab 5 is one of my favorite shows
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:12 pm

I can identify with that, Mark. Cris genuinely enjoys Fringe, Human Target, (and formerly) LOST and Buffy -- but I can't seem to elicit much interest in Torchwood or Dr. Who (James Moran episodes being the notable exceptions).

Then again, I'm not much for Grey's Anatomy or Desperate Housechicks.

BTW -- First saw TRON and ALTERED STATES while under the influence of a variety of college-age recreational chemicals. This was when I learned the hard lesson that some films were better seen unencumbered by medicinal combinations.

Then again, for every TRON there was a CALIGULA...a movie in which the other kind of "altered states" were almost a prerequisite.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Man Barber

Just when I get this close *holding fingers about an inch a part* to considering you a totally 'nilla kinda guy, ya gotta go posting stuff like this.

*holding on to either side of head to keep it from exploding!*

:D

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 pm

I know a retired guy who works part time at the AFI Silver Theater up the road a piece in Silver Spring, MD (a fantastic place in Art Deco style built in 1912 restored by Montgomery County). He told me that when they were screening Pan's Labyrinth they had constant complaints from parents bringing their kids to the movie thinking they were going to see a Narnia or Harry Potter thing. You'll admit I'm sure the movie is pretty brutal and apparently the adverts were extremely misleading. The theater wound up having to put up a big sign at the box office explaining this ain't Wizard of Oz folks!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 am

B5 took a while to get started. It wasn't until the story arc started slowly unfolding that it came into its own. I remember those days. . .like watching a soap, couldn't be missed! Finding a network that would carry it was half the battle. . .

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:51 am

Pan's Labyrinth was rather mismarketed. . .

Return to “Pop Culture”