Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:40 am

Coolin off Mark. ah, yes, she is a cutie. Please God put her in a nude scene. Runz.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:10 pm

I'll be watching the series finale of BREAKING BAD tonight. What a show it's been. I mentioned earlier that the story arc was a lot like a film noir, but told over six seasons. Another parallel I see here is THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYL AND MR. HYDE, both the story arc and the character arc of Walter White/Heisenberg. The chickens are coming home to roost and they've got teeth.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:50 pm

I loved that Frankenstein. There was something extra creepy about that monster. . .

Some total stranger pointed out to me an even earlier film, from like 1901 or something. It was a haunted house, with ghosts appearing everywhere in puffs of smoke. . .
Someone knew right away what this new art form would mean!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:53 pm

We know what those puffs of smoke are my friend. :)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:58 pm

I saw EXODUS:GODS AND KINGS over the weekend. I can't help it. I have to go see all the Bible movies. There was one thing I really liked about it that I can't tell you because it would be a spoiler. Overall I had the same reaction I do with all of Ridley Scott's movies. Big, beautiful and ultimately empty. A monstrous CGI fest. But I need more than that. Nowhere as cheesy and soapish as DeMille's epic but nowhere as fun either. And E:G&K is half the length of TC but I found myself getting antsy in my seat a couple times. Something that never happens in the older, longer movie.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

ATSayre

Postby ATSayre » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:41 pm

How can you have a spoiler in a 3000 year old biblical story?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:56 am

Saw Under The Skin over the weekend. Not at all what I expected. A truly creepy science fiction film with a marvelously understated performance by Scarlet Johanson. This is a thinking-person's film, in that you have to be paying attention to know what's going on. Definitely worth a look.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:28 am

ATSayre wrote:How can you have a spoiler in a 3000 year old biblical story?

I would tell you but it would be a spoiler. :lol:

Ok it's the way the "relationship" between Moses and God is depicted. I like the scene where Moses "receives" the ten commandments. But even that is undeveloped. Scott is much more interested in expansive vistas of ten thousand people running across an open field into battle.

Scarlet Johansson has had a good year. Mark have you seen HER? A virtuoso performance and she never once appears in the film! A fine actress and I admire her willingness not to spend her career doing cheesecake.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “Pop Culture”