Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Robert Nason

HEMINGWAY AND GELLHORN

Postby Robert Nason » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Just saw the a DVD of the 2012 HBO film HEMINGWAY AND GELLHORN, directed by Phil (THE RIGHT STUFF, HENRY AND JUNE, UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING) Kaufman. Spectacular performance by Nicole Kidman as Martha Gellhorn. It unmistakably is more sympathetic to Gellhorn than Hem, but those of you who haven't seen it might enjoy it. Lots of war, eroticism, and Papa, including the possibly apocryphal scene when Hem and Welles came to blows during recording session for THE SPANISH EARTH. (Papa is making mincemeat of Welles before the crew breaks it up.) Gandolfini was one of the Executive Producers. Definitely worth seeing as long as you take into account the films bias -- as well as its prefilection to rely on CGI to drop the leads into footage shot during Dpanish Civil War & WWII à la FORREST GUMP. Kidman is still a hot leading lady at age 40+. Not a sexist comment on my part, just an acknowledgment of what actresses in Hollywood still have to contend with. That excellent actor David Strathairn is also superb as John Dos Passos. Giants walked the earth then, even if some of them had a bit of clay on their feet.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

FrankChurch

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:23 am

I'm for paying the artists more, so I support throwing more than pennies. That dog won't hunt, photogradude.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:24 am

HBO really takes chances. It's a shame hollywood doesn't. They keep mowing lawns downhill.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:25 am

Imagine someone trying to get Blue Velvet filmed today? No way would it get funded.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:28 am

FrankChurch wrote:Imagine someone trying to get Blue Velvet filmed today? No way would it get funded.

You really should educate your self a bit frank. You are sorta right, no major studio would do a film like that, but there are a lot of other ways to fund a movie. I have a good friend using crowd sourced funding to get his done. I'm thinking about approaching the local LGTB historical Society about a documentary I'd love to do. And there are still indie production companies you could deal with.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm

The beauty of the original film would not have been the same.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:21 pm

FrankChurch wrote:HBO really takes chances. It's a shame hollywood doesn't. They keep mowing lawns downhill.

Um. Frank? You do know who owns HBO, yes? And they're as solidly arch-Hollywood as any company out there.

I guess you loves you some Time Warner after all?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Went to see White House Down yesterday. Okay, fun popcorn flick. If you like Die Hard, think Die Hard in The White House.

And rented Oz the Great and Powerful. Have to say that while visually brilliant, it lacks the spark of The Wizard, and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that James Franco cannot act.

No, no, no, I shan't be dissuaded.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 pm

The beauty of the original film would not have been the same.

The original film was the product of an independent production company - Dino De Laurentiis's - offering Lynch complete creative control in exchange for a 50% cut in his salary for the film, and a 50% reduction in the proposed budget. Lynch took the deal because he liked the story and wanted to realize it.

If anything, the emergence of crowd-sourcing has only increased the possibility that a producer with faith in a writer's/director's vision can raise the funding necessary to get the film made. But the "beauty" comes from Lynch, his crew, and his cast - not the way the production company found the money to make it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:21 am

Crowd sourcing is a great idea. Lynch is on a yoga kick so I doubt you will see many of his new movies anytime soon.

---------

Barber, I'd sell a script to Time Warner in a heartbeat.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 am

Time seems to leave HBO alone.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Saw an old TV "Movie of the Week" from the early 70s called THE HORROR AT 37,000 FEET. I won't pretend it is some long lost classic. What's remarkable about it is that the cast consists almost entirely of stars of former 60s TV shows.

Roy Thinnes, Russel Johnson, Buddy Ebsen, Chuck Connors and last but not least a post original Star Trek series, pre-first ST movie William Shatner.

It was like a 60s TV convention.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

zackm

Postby zackm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 pm

Barnaby Jones and T.J. Hooker? Together at last?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:56 am

I remember that one. A supernatural thriller on a Boeing 747, back when it was still pretty new.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:34 am

Ezra, that avatar fits you the best.

Return to “Pop Culture”