Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:07 pm

This next Terry Gilliam film looks really good:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333804/

Matt Damon rarely lets us down.

He's also in a new George Clooney directed film about art stolen by the nazis. Sounds good as well. Nazis always make good drama. lol

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Boy, this movie is going to be problematic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUA7rr0bOcc

zackm

Postby zackm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Why didn't they call it Freedom's Butler?

Also, it's pretty cool to see Oprah Winfrey in a movie again.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:55 am

The Man's Butler.

:mrgreen:

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Had an enjoyable evening getting a little tipsy with a friend watching two good ole 50s SF flicks.

I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE

How many people have sniffed and dismissed this movie because of the lurid title? Too bad because it hides a nifty B movie. A classic 50s scenario: aliens from a dying planet invade the Earth to revitalize their race by mating with our women. Certain virile young men in the community are "replaced" by alien duplicates and the fun begins. What distinguishes this flick is the sympathetic portrayal by Tom Tryon as one of the alien duplicates, more tragic than evil. The film also contains several marvelous set pieces, lightning flashes revealing the alien behind the human mask on Tryon's wedding night, an alien staring into a display window of a store which turns out to be for baby supplies, and a great scene where several of the aliens sit together in a bar and discuss the relative merits of human bodies (one is enjoying his, another is disgusted).

Interestingly some critics have tried to see a gay subtext to this movie. Well...I suppose you could find it if you stretch far enough but it seems a lot of weight to put on what is essentially a neato B programmer.

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS

I suppose everyone has seen Don Siegal's classic, one of the absolute masterpieces of the 50s, marred only slightly by the studio forced, tacked on happy ending. It has been many years since I watched this film, long enough to thoroughly enjoy the revisit and time enough to appreciate it all over again. What struck me at once is how adult the film is. None of that "golly gee willikers" precocious 50s 14 year old mentality that suffuses a lot of these old movies (because of course that's who they were aimed at, like today). And how practically devoid of special effects the film is (unless you regard writing and acting as special effects). What the movie is full of is tension and mood and suspense. In fact it seems to me a writer trying to write suspense could do no better than to screen this movie. The pacing is brilliant. The way the script ratchets up the suspense, then pauses, then ratchets it up some more and repeats this pattern until by time everything explodes at the end it's almost a relief.

Once again the critics have had a field day reading all kinds of allegories into this flick. All the principals deny any ulterior motives and it's the strength of this kind of movie that it can be open to multiple interpretations for those that need such. For me it's just a helluva fun 90 minute rollercoaster ride.

Ps One of the joys of watching old movies for me are the cars. I feel a pang at the sight of these long lost steroidal land yachts where four adults could sit comfortably in the back seat, the steering wheel was the size of an extra large pizza and an adult could stretch out in the seat and have a good night's sleep. Oh well...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Ez

Have you seen the 1979 version with Leonard Nimoy and Donald Sutherland? If so, which version did you prefer?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Both classics. Pity about I Married a Monster's title. It feeds into a rather unfortunate perception I've noticed a lot lately, what with all the proliferation of Youtube vids. There seem to be some folk out there who genuinely can't tell the difference between Plan 9 From Outer Space and The Day the Earth Stood Still. Black and white? From the fifties? It must be bad!

Which version of Snatchers did you prefer Lori? Heretical as it may sound, I actually prefer the '79 version. . .

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Mr Evil

I liked them both. While they had the same premsis, IMO they were two different movies.

The original played to the total paranoia that was going on at the time while the more recent one a spot on portrayal of the dystopia the nation was headed towards.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:29 am

That whole period was paranoia on parade. Delusion is what sells.

What is bugging me now is all the top actors doing shitty bang bang flicks like Red 2. A waste of Helen Mirrin's talent. The things people will do for a mere paycheck.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:27 am

FrankChurch wrote:That whole period was paranoia on parade. Delusion is what sells.

What is bugging me now is all the top actors doing shitty bang bang flicks like Red 2. A waste of Helen Mirrin's talent. The things people will do for a mere paycheck.

Oh, I think that's unfair. None of those people need a paycheck. I just saw the first one, RED, and it's obvious that they're having a great time.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:04 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Ez

Have you seen the 1979 version with Leonard Nimoy and Donald Sutherland? If so, which version did you prefer?

Yes I have. An example of a successful remake although if you put the two versions side by side I would have to favor the original. You're right though they really are two different interpretations of the source material. A testimony to the strength of the original idea.

Has anyone seen PACIFIC RIM? I'm a sucker for robots (ever since as a kid I saw GORT pop his titanium shades and barada the army right up the nikto) and won't be able to resist.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:58 pm

In these economic times, there's nothing "mere" about a paycheque. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to recall a time when remakes were much more rare, and much more successfull.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:32 pm

FrankChurch wrote:That whole period was paranoia on parade. Delusion is what sells.

At her age she should be doing whatever damn well tickles her fancy Frank. Maybe she did it for non money reasons.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Yea, to hell with art. Harlan has been railing about this stuff for years. What kind of elitists do we have here?

My glass teats ache.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Really, Frank? I seem to recall a rant entitled "Pay the Writer" and a comment in DWST to the effect that Harlan "can't be bought, but I can be rented at the highest possible rate".

He and I have had this exact discussion, and guess what...he thinks artists ought to grab every penny they can.

Wrong topic to get on the high horse about, me bucko.

You think artists should do it for the glory of mankind, but in truth most do it for the money it gives them for food and rent.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Pop Culture”