Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby diane bartels » Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Where is your con Mark? The Weeping Angels scared me.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri May 24, 2013 7:25 pm

It's a shame when wonderful movies slip through the cracks so let me enthusiastically recommend SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED from last year, out now on DVD. A guy places an advert in a Seattle newspaper soliciting a companion for a trip back in time. So a reporter and his two interns go investigate. What makes this movie worth checking out is that's it's character driven. In a better world this movie would have been a big hit.

Here's a taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE94RKIE7xQ
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri May 24, 2013 9:30 pm

CLONE WARS SEASON 4

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat May 25, 2013 8:28 pm

STAR TREK:INTO DARKNESS

Absolutely no spoilers of any consequence I assure you.

I really had no intention of going to the movie but some friends called me up and invited me to go catch the noon show at the gorgeous old Uptown theater in Cleveland Park. What added to the excitement was the prospect of moseying across the street after the show to NAM-VIET (Pho 79), my favoritest Vietnamese restaurant in DC. And the company didn't hurt. I've been kind of a hermit since I got out of the hospital.

A lip smackin' jaw crackin' actioner with state of the art special effects covered with a Star Trek veneer, which is actually what I expected.

I believe there are more explosions in this movie than in all three seasons of the original series.

Ok the rest of this is kinda negative so while I think most of you know already whether or not you're going to go see the movie there may be somebody out there who is on the fence and I would hate for my comments to deter anyone from going when they might enjoy it so consider this your warning if you can be swayed by a post. Still no spoilers.

The script is full of plot holes and flat out contradictions but my primary reaction is this. Why are you telling me this story? With tens of millions of dollars at your disposal and a whole galaxy to explore, Is this all you could come up with? Frankly at this point the "franchise" (ugh!) has become so self-referential and incestious that it's feeding on itself. And maybe that's what people want. And maybe that's why I'm not the audience for this anymore. That's not what I want. What happened to the "strange new worlds" and going where no one has gone before?

Let's admit it, the original show was really only any good during the first season. After that it settled into a formula that they recycled endlessly until the plug was pulled. But early on anyway you really felt like you were out there and that anything could happen. It's that feeling I want. To me that's the essence of what made TREK special and memorable. But this movie does not contain even one ounce of imagination. That said it's not a bad movie. But it'll make a kazillion dollars and five years from now no one will be able to even remember what it was about.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:10 am

Hi, Ezra!

Also STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS -- for the fourth time. Yes, my friend John Rodriguez called the "the BIG reveal" last SUMMER based on the Japanese teaser for the film. It's just so damn goofy. And I love the young cast. They make it watchable, and re-watchable, for me. But I still couldn't help but think, "Why is Mickey working for Starfleet?" And, after reading the io9 article excoriating the movie, I can't help but call it the "Killerprise".

I agree with you that cannibalizing the same old stories is going nowhere. Damn. They have this fine new cast, an excellent villain, and...I mean geeze guys, *I* could come up with a better story, characterizations, and lines. (Monday morning quarterbacking, that is...) But I still really enjoy going to see this movie. I've been on the downhill side of depression, and getting a cheap matinee ticket and watching it has pulled me up.

I think it's going to have a DVD place on my shelf next to THE DIRTY DOZEN, and THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN as my go-to "chick flicks" to watch when I'm in the dumps.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 26, 2013 11:25 am

Gwyn, hello gal. Missed ya. Islamotrekkie.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon May 27, 2013 10:20 am

Chatter pertinent to the "big reveal" goes back as far as some of the original casting rumors for the role. I chuckle when J.J. and company pat themselves on the back for allegedly keeping it "under wraps".

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Hiya Frankie! :)
FinderDoug -- could you imagine if J.J. & Co. had the huevos to cast an actual Desi in the role? Hrithik Roshan or Abishek Bachchan would have been wonderful, and then, the "revealing" line, "My name is [spoiler]" would have made all the Indians and Bollywood fans in the audience crack up. (Because, of course, they're not Shahrukh!)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue May 28, 2013 8:50 am

Had an eclectic Sunday television schedule. We'd planned to get to Star Trek Into Darkness, but laziness took control and I sat watching the boob tube for good part of the day (I also took two long walks and spent a half hour in the pool, so got my activity in).

The morning was reserved for standard TV fare: Doctor Who, The Fifth Doctor; Top Gear; a couple of Mystery Diners.

The afternoon and evening were a cinematic opera house: HUGO; and DJANGO UNCHAINED. Both brilliant films, but utterly different in stye and content.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Did you like DJANGO UNCHAINED? It's on my list, but I tend to get horrid visions from films that are too violent. What would you recommend? I didn't have a problem with KILL BILL.
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 28, 2013 5:36 pm

It is super violent, especially the shootout at the end. The ending is obvious, but Barber is right, it is a brilliant film. Easily Tarantino's best. The length just flies by.

The dialogue interplay is utterly fabu.

Here's a funny scene. Shows the utter nuttiness of racism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... d7kprBGiVQ

The film is a very honest view of slavery, but it is also very entertaining.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 28, 2013 5:42 pm

Another scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNrG5lD2zmQ

Stephen is Eric Holder. :mrgreen:

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Gwyneth M905 wrote:Did you like DJANGO UNCHAINED? It's on my list, but I tend to get horrid visions from films that are too violent. What would you recommend? I didn't have a problem with KILL BILL.

Certainly over the top violence. But a great film. Cris hid her eyes a few times, but if she can take it and love the end result, you should love it.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 pm

FrankChurch wrote:It is super violent, especially the shootout at the end. The ending is obvious, but Barber is right, it is a brilliant film. Easily Tarantino's best. The length just flies by.

The dialogue interplay is utterly fabu.

Here's a funny scene. Shows the utter nuttiness of racism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... d7kprBGiVQ

The film is a very honest view of slavery, but it is also very entertaining.

Tru dis.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:39 am

Thank you for the input, Steve and Frank. I have to admit, I'm in a state of disconnect right now about the clips because...I just watched CABIN IN THE SKY (1943) on Amazon Prime.

In both cases, these films are white directors' and screenwriters' views of African-Americans. I enjoyed CABIN IN THE SKY because of the sheer amount of talent present in the film; the actors are given a "type" to play, and watching them subvert that by playing with dignity and as little "hamming" as possible under the circumstances is tremendous. Of course the racial stereotypes themselves are painful to watch today, knowing how much more the actors could have brought to the roles if less confined by White judgements of 1943.

But is it really a mark of having come so far that we can have African-Americans calling each other 'nigger' and playing to stereotype so broadly? I'll need to watch the whole movie, of course, before I make a judgement. But it was really jarring to come down from the sweet ending of CABIN to the language in DJANGO.
STAR WARS (1977)

Return to “Pop Culture”