Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby FinderDoug » Wed May 22, 2013 6:49 am

KAGEMUSHA

Still haven't gotten to that one.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 pm

Kirosawa is a bit too slow for me. Call me unwashed, but that's my stance.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed May 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Kagemusha is a fine film by Kurosawa. A visual and story-telling feast. I especially love how Kurosawa embraced and used color in film. He is supposed to have said that Kagemusha was a warm-up for Ran. If so, it's one helluva warm-up.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed May 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:Kagemusha is a fine film by Kurosawa. A visual and story-telling feast. I especially love how Kurosawa embraced and used color in film. He is supposed to have said that Kagemusha was a warm-up for Ran. If so, it's one helluva warm-up.

Chuck

You nailed that one, boy-o. This film is spectacular. The scene with the sniper is among my favorite Kurosawa moments.

Get ON it, Finder.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu May 23, 2013 9:40 am

Get ON it, Finder.

Can I let them finish rewiring the house first? Pleeeeease?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 am

Patience, Keeney.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 23, 2013 10:38 am

FinderDoug wrote:
Get ON it, Finder.

Can I let them finish rewiring the house first? Pleeeeease?

And when he's done with THAT house, we're inviting him over to do ours. (We have inexplicably lost power to the microwave and all of the electrical plugs along one side of the kitchen. Everything else works, and we've tried resetting the circuit breaker -- which wasn't tripped. Yet another $225 to have someone come out and say "ah, you just needed to do this: XXXXX")

DAMNED DVR!!!

But back to the topic of Whatcha Watchin?:

Cris and I were watching the season finale for Law and Order: SVU last night. We had paused a couple of times to talk, or grab a drink or something, running ten minutes behind the feed. It's a wonderfully creepy episode and was getting extremely intense (remember: season finale, when they do all sorts of horrific things to get you to come back).

The clock switched over to 10pm and *voila'* the feed flipped forward, bypassing completely the remainder of the episode, to begin recording Chicago Fire's season ender. AAARGGHH!

And guess what ISN'T available On Demand....

(No, no spoilers please. We know it's intense but would really like to just see the last ten minutes.)

*sigh*
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 am

I miss Chris Meloni.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu May 23, 2013 11:36 am

I'd be happy to send the electrician your information when he's done with our home, but I think the cost of the commute from here will eat you alive.

Also, while it may not be available On Demand, Hulu streams the most five recent L&O:SVU episodes for general viewership, so if you have internet, you can catch the ending with relative ease. (I've been Hulu-ing my way through the last season of MEDIUM, which I somehow managed to miss - probably because they moved it and I lost track at the time.) At least here in exile, we have internet for such things.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 23, 2013 11:41 am

Admit it, the ads piss you off!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Doug -

Cool. Thanks mon ami.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri May 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Just about to begin season 4 of the reboot of Dr. Who, the last season with David Tennant. What has surprised me about this new version of Dr. Who is how genuinely creepy a lot of the villains are. I know that the Daleks were very scary when I was a kid but such creatures as the Host, the Beast in the Pit and the Weeping Angels are seriously unnerving. There are plenty of episodes I would classify more as horror than science fictions over the past several seasons.

However, I will have to stop watching this shortly and re-watch Being Human, both the UK and US versions, as I am on a panel discussing the show at my Con in a couple of weeks.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri May 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Just wait 'till you get to the Silence!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri May 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Just wait 'till you get to the Silence!

Sshhhh!!!

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Where is your con Mark? The Weeping Angels scared me.

Return to “Pop Culture”