Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:06 am

MDB made me cry like a baby. It is a great, great film. I'd suggest seeing it again. The scene with the girl's shitty family at her bedside--yow.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:06 am

Mystic River, another great Eastwood film.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Steve E. -

Thanks for the follow-up about 'ENEMY'. I actually had to leave in the course of the movie, so I'm due for a revisit.

Relevantly, I was viewing VALKRIE in the last week as well. Although I read it sticks to the historical facts with some accuracy, it is so inescapably "Yankee" due to the Tom Cruise presence. I admired 'ENEMY' so much because its resonance was more authentically European - set in a war that was still mostly "European".

What I am anxious to find and rent is the two VALKRIE-related films made in the 1950's by two of the actual conspirators from the war!

1955, The Plot to Assassinate Hitler Der 20 Der 20. Directed by ex-resistance-fighter Dr. Falk Harnack.

and

1955: Es geschah am 20. Juli (It happened July 20), Directed by Georg Wilhelm Pabst.

Both directors were involved in the Valkrie resistance, no films could be closer to their source. I REALLY want to look at those!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Think of all the money writers have made from Hitlerism. Irony is a stew.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:08 pm

People are fascinated by Nazis. I think it's because they either 1) secretly admire them for almost taking over the world; 2) wonder how a populace could have been turned into meat puppets by such an evil regime; 3) see the US heading the same way and are looking for the canary in the coal mine.

Hey, what did you guys think of THE YARD? Did you think it was funny? And what about the Conan Doyle clip? Had you seen that before?
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Gwyn -

My own notion is that, among MANY determinants, we, collectively, get transfixed by acts demonstrating the deepest of darkest sides to human nature; we forget, as individuals, what we're capable of as a species - until yet another barbaric onslaught rears its head. In citing historical accounts, wars and atrocities come before everything else, from the methods of war of ancient Sparta to the Rwandan genocide of 1994. In the face of such horrors, we, likewise, appreciate those relatively sparse moments of heroism; the story of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg is one of them, and a fascinating one at that.

Maybe we subliminally look for some affirmation in all the horrific acts that we are capable of one day preventing them and purging ourselves of such vile potential.

One of the History channels aired clips of the conspirators being tried for the assassination effort, and it is emotionally rending to watch - as they refer to "the murders", only to be mocked by the Gestapo right there on film.

We are drawn to our own horrors much the way elephants are drawn to the bones of their dead.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:38 pm

robochrist wrote:
We are drawn to our own horrors much the way elephants are drawn to the bones of their dead.

Beautifully stated, Rob. I agree. However much we, as a species, remember our past, it seems we are driven to repeat it.

War is something we're good at.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:14 pm

The repeats - yeah! - go on and on, as long as our instincts remain as they were 75,000 years ago. Sadly, that's probably the reason we never take the parables to heart. You can "sermon" and "sermon", even in the most subtle art, yet, few if any will ever change. It sucks.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Actually, Gwyn - in afterthought, it reminds me of the Mafioso ritual of going to confession to purge of sin, then commit murder the next week, only to return again for confession. Makes 'em feel they are still being good people with no change in the agenda.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:36 pm

THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL.

I had no idea how much I needed to see a warm, gentle, life-renewing movie until I actually saw one. This is the polar opposite to Mike Leigh's ANOTHER YEAR. Both films feature a terrific ensemble of senior British actors, but their outlooks on old age couldn't be more different. Where MARIGOLD HOTEL basks in the sunlight, ANOTHER YEAR skulks and snarls beneath grey clouds.

Personally, I think I'll stick with Dame Judi Dench and Co. You could always argue which is a better film, but I'm just bored to tears of movies that insist life can offer nothing but the void.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:59 pm

As a sidenote, I really wish pop culture would stop using "old" as a prejorative. It'd make getting there a whole lot easier to take.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:14 pm

I also hate the reference, "old-fashioned".

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:35 pm

"Old School" though is fine by me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mystic River. Rivetting. Simply rivetting. Though I'm not sure I got the ending (or maybe I just didn't want to. I often don't.). And Eastwood did the music as well? The man with no name has many talents.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Eastwood is a skilled jazz pianist.

The ending is what makes the movie.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:22 pm

I guess I'm a puss. Movies like Mystic River & Million Dollar Baby are too brutal for me. From Clint I like Bronco Billy & Outlaw Josey Wales & The Unforgiven which put him in Howard Hawks/John Ford territory.

Some mighty what-ifs.

Clint offered John Wayne a role in High Plains Drifter!

Clint was offered the lead in Apocalypse Now!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “Pop Culture”