Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:45 am

This one's for films. I thought I'd add one because The Good the Bad and the Ugly was on the telly last night, and that one always makes me go bugfuck. That final shoot-out, man oh man. . .I usually don't like drawn out scenes, but holy diver that was cool!

Appologies if there already is one for this purpose.

Richard Keeney

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Richard Keeney » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 pm

ZOMBI, thanks, by way of impetus, to the new Best Buy zombie commercial, and courtesy of NETFLIX
"It would be interesting to know what it is men are most afraid of. Taking a new step, uttering a new word is what they fear most."
--F. Dostoievsky, from CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

Richard Keeney

Postby Richard Keeney » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:18 pm

the fun bazooka scene in KICK ASS...what an odd movie
"It would be interesting to know what it is men are most afraid of. Taking a new step, uttering a new word is what they fear most."

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:54 pm

Sergei Bondarchuk's version of War and Peace in the new DVD fancy version with better restoration and subtitles (although I should be able to understand it without...sigh...don't use it, ya' lose it).

Clouds....I see Clouds.....

ZOMG! I now know what my next Netflix order HAS to be... Love and Death by Woody Allen. Ranks right up there with Young Frankenstein as a wonderfully funny movie.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 am

Always go back to the classics: The first Naked Gun.

"Nice Beaver." "Yea, I had it stuffed." Ah, sophisticated humour knows no bounds in my glove fondled world.

Richard Keeney

Postby Richard Keeney » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:40 pm

World
Cup

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:55 am

Spain vs. Netherlands. Don't touch that dial!

Enter the Dragon. Been on a martial arts kick lately; no one does it better than Bruce.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:10 am

I always loved "Love and Death." I was the only one laughing in a movie theater on the south coast of Oregon when he talks about how his boyhood activities were different from his brothers wrestling in the dirt, and it shows him hanging on a cross. I also was alone in immediately finding it hilarious when he pops through a door for a midnight rendezvous with the drop-dead sexy countess still in his military uniform studded with medals.

Biggest laugh in the movie for everybody came a moment later: "Oh, well ... I practice a lot when I'm alone."
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:40 am

Manhattan Murder Mystery is a lot of fun. Woody just bein screwball.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Just watched Moon. Sam Rockwell is thoroughly convincing, as usual, and I found myself wondering (not for the first time) why there aren't more genuinely speculative films like this. It's the first feature directed by Duncan Jones (David Bowie's son), who wrote the original story, and the screenplay is by Nathan Parker. Highly recommended.

D.

p.s. Let me also recommend another low-budget speculative thriller, Primer-- best watched with your brain fully on.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Over the weekend I rewatched Jerome Bixby's Man From Earth.

Brilliant movie, shot on a budget that wouldn't even warm your credit card. But excellent script and acting.

BTW - The first time I watched it I had to get around the "Hey! That's (fill in the blank) from (fill in the blank)". Many of the actors played notable guest roles in Star Trek or other genre series, but here do a really solid job with each of their respective roles.

Highly recommended.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Wow, Steve, I'd missed the release of that movie entirely. Thanks for the heads up; I shall seek it out.

D.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Finally catching the end of Battlestar Galactica. Hell of an improvement over the original series.

I'm re-watching Shutter Island. I could see this movie half a dozen times and catch something new I missed before.

I'm finally going to see Watchmen. I've also checked Blood Simple from the library. One of my favorite neo-noir films.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:21 am

For Doug and anyone else who might have missed this:

http://www.manfromearth.com/
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:43 am

> I found myself wondering (not for the first time) why there aren't more genuinely speculative films like this.

Because they don't have enough cheap romance and explosions to please the average American, who doesn't like to have to think during entertainment. (Note: I haven't seen "Moon," but was aware of it and sorry I missed it on the big screen.) Have you seen the box office numbers for "Moon"? It made only $392,981 on its opening weekend last June, and only climbed as high as $5 million in weekly receipts by November. Since it cost only $5 million to make, I assume everyone concerned got back their investment and maybe a little extra, but we're not talking huge returns.

I saw three movies last week: "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," which was fantastic; "Toy Story 3" which was just about as good, though very different, of course; and "Knight and Day," the Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz vehicle (I had a free movie coupon), which was a little better than I was expecting. Less than an inch deep, but a charming romp. I'm wondering what attic Cruise keeps his self-portrait in.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “Pop Culture”