Doctor Who - Season 31

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

RocRizzo

Re: Doctor Who - Season 31

Postby RocRizzo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:49 am

Considering that many of the old monsters have been vanquished several times over, it's about time that they were done away with. On the other hand, they can always be resurrected.

Thought I have been watching season 31, for me, the jury's still out as to my opinion of the latest incarnation of the Doctor. Perhaps he will grow into the role with time, as have others.

I am looking forward to the Xmas special. Though I hate Xmas, it will be a change from the usual blather that it on the glass teat on Xmas. From what I've seen of the trailer, I probably will not like it, if it has any resemblance to the Dickens classic. At any rate, we all know that the teasers they include on those trailers, are rarely keys to the story. We will see.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:41 am

Apparently one of the four leads are going to die.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/8394/major-death-coming-in-doctor-who.html

I'd whittle it down to Amy or Rory simply based on the fact that we haven't heard about a new resurrection, and we've already seen River Song's death.

Of the two, Amy would be the most traumatic for both the Doctor and Rory.

Things that make you go "hmmmm..."
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:11 pm

First episode aired tonight - not bad. Not bad at all.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:42 am

Series 6 looks like it's going to be light years ahead of Series 5. Let's wait and see.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:55 pm

I make this comment every six months or so but when is Doctor Who going to regenerate as a woman?

Cate Blanchett!

Tilda Swinton!

Kate Winslet!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:04 am

Patricia Routledge!

"I will not have you exterminating this planet during one of my Candlelight suppers!"

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:14 am

Sarah Douglas.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Alright if we're going to consider ladies of a certain maturity then why not go straight for the gusto and pick...

Helen Mirren
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:52 am

Don't laugh, I wouldn't put anything past Moffat. He's got somethin' big up his sleee, I can tell! Last season was but a preview. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed May 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Spoilers, Sweetie, spoilers!

Watched the second half of the series' opener last night.

The ending, the little girl: River Song, or Jenny?

Discuss -- noting SPOILERS for anyone who has not yet seen the second half.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu May 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks for the warning. I have not read the post. But I worry it may not be enough. Someone else may not post spoiler warnings. Or some soddin' tabloid might splash it all over the front pages. I'm going to retreat into my hole now and you won't see me for a while.

I've never been one to peak at my Christmas presents. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 09, 2011 3:50 pm

The only thing I know is that Alex Kingston is about as lucious as they get.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon May 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Since Steve did such a great tag concept:

Spoilers, Sweetie, spoilers!

I'm going to say the child is neither. I'm going to say that they're running a bait and switch on us. I don't think the child is Jenny - I think that's a bit obvious a play so early in the arc, based on how it was done; I'm also not convinced that it's the child that Amy is/isn't carrying (though the case might be made for Amy and Rory both having enough timey-whimey stuff around them that they could have a very unusual regenerating TARDIS/time baby, I'm not buying into that leap yet, though they sure seem to want us to consider an Amy-baby in some capacity). No, I think the child we see regenerating is the as-yet-for-us unborn and unseen progeny of the union of The Doctor and River Song. But I also think River Song is in the spacesuit and shoots the Doctor. Except except I don't know that I buy that it's THE Doctor she shoots. Effing time travel.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon May 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Doctor Who is scary again! Praise be! Heaven to Glory! Hossanah Allelujah! God bless this Rebel Flesh!

(And no I haven't read the spoilers! Gee whiz, do you guys peak into your Christmas presents as well?)

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Tue May 31, 2011 10:10 pm

I think I'd like the New Doctor more if he hadn't been so totally upstaged by the two previous tenants of the role. Totally loved the line "Fear me -- I killed them all."

Breadcrumbs all over the place, so there's obviously got to be some red herrings. Is River Song the embodied TARDIS? Is the Dead Doctor the ONLY Doctor or maybe some clone or alternate? (He obviously knew he was about to shuffle off.) Dunno... but I'm happily following along.

Kudos to Russell Davies not just for resurrecting the series, but bravely laying down long-range arcs that couldn't be attempted in a series that needed to worry about seasonal renewal.

Return to “Pop Culture”