Doctor Who - Season 31

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: Doctor Who - Season 31

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Steve - Especially true if they're reconstituted from original DNA, which I believe was the case.

Seriously - with the colors, they're like watching a sick robotic Fanta commercial. "Exterminate thirst! EXTERMINATE!!!"

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Don't say that too loud - they'll be doing it next! Seriously, the BBC's marketing department is nuts.

The Daleks have been known to "co-operate" (ie: "use") with other species before: they almost always double cross them.

But the Pandorica coalition happened for no other reason than Moffat thought it'd make a cool scene. And people wonder why I can be so grouchy when it comes to new Who. . .

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:58 am

I haven't posted about this for awhile…but I figure now was a god time to leave some of you apoplectic with the following news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... eveals-bbc

BTW, saw the first two episodes of Season 4 of The Sarah Jane Adventures…and even though, music was a tad overused in this episode, I still think this is by far the best teen/children's show on TV right now. It treats its audience with respect and intelligence. Love the fact that, no matter how web savvy these three kids are, they always use their nuggins to solve any problem they face.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:15 am

Oh...thank...God...(or Steven Moffat)

Rainbow Daleks Ditched From 'Doctor Who'

http://airlockalpha.com/node/7957/rainbow-daleks-ditched-from-doctor-who.html

This article calls them Teletubby Daleks, I prefer to think of them as Power Ranger Daleks, with all the connotations therein.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Well, considering that the original item came from The Sun and seeing how, after I checked it out, The Sun does not give actual attribution to the quote (did they interview Moffat, did he tweet about? where did Moffat's quote come from?) I would be somewhat skeptical. Makes some sense to bring the originals back though. Remember that in "Remembrance of the Daleks" there were two Daleks factions fighting it out so I wouldn't put it past Moffat to have the old-school Daleks and the Teletubby ones duke it out in a future episode.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Oh, joy, joy…this year's Christmas Special will be broadcast on BBC America on Christmas Day! 9 p.m. EST. Here's the trailer, broadcast today during the Children in Need marathon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G52OWVpnuHw

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Alejandro. How are you and Olga?

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Okay, so I've harshed on the New Doctor -- he takes some adaptation. But I stand by my estimate that he's not remarkably the best, & maybe that's due somewhat to the rest of the franchise-keepers.

I sat down & watched the two-hour "Pandorica" plot. At the end of Hour One, I was growling at the TV, that it seemed like a ridiculously time-folding gimmick to trap the Doctor (& incidentally to re-insert a dead character). But by the end of Hour Two, I rather enjoyed it... but more as a nice little fairy-tale fantasy, rather than as straight-up science fiction. The little mini-loops of facing the Doctor with himself were actually delightful, & dancing close to the edge of utter continuity failure -- bravo.

But if the series is going to depend on over-caffeinated manic pace & convoluted gimmickry, it's in trouble.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Slow down I says!

My sentiments exactly, re pacing.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Hey, Diana:

Olga and I are doing very well, considering that I am now temporarily jobless. The investors at the media company I was working for were unable to secure the capital that would help us publish and even expand the magazine next year. So Café will, for now, be a digital-only publication relying on the work of freelancers, if they can find someone to manage the digital end of the business. The key investor and new owner decided to go this route without establishing any parameters or goals and was actually expecting that my managing editor and myself would stick around and work for free during the transition. To which we, of course, said, hell no.

I have a couple of leads, some key people I know have asked for my resume so they can push it around and I am actually thinking of taking some video editing courses and starting my own blog.

But, hey, the Doctor Who Christmas Special is actually airing on Xmas this year so there's plenty to look forward to :)

ar

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:30 am

http://airlockalpha.com/node/7957/rainb ... r-who.html

Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! It's the best news I've heard all day! All month! All year! Better than American pancakes at Weatherspoons! Sometimes they do listen to the poor old fans. . .

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:39 am

Oh crap, there's fine print.

Well, at least this sign's encouraging. The wheels are in motion. The sentiment is out there. Maybe they'll listen. Maybe when all the toys are sold. . .

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:31 am

Steve:

That article is a tad old, so here's some updates:

First: Christmas Special airs Xmas Day on BBC America here in the United States at 9/8 Central.
Second: According to a recent interview with Piers Wanger, there will be no old monsters in this brand-new-split-in-two season.

Hot cocoa and pijamas are called for this Xmas.

AR

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Considering what Moffat has done with all the old monsters he's touched, this is probably a good thing.

All the same, the old monsters are what kept me comming back. So. . .

Return to “Pop Culture”