Doctor Who - Season 31

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Doctor Who - Season 31

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:45 am

" That would be sentimental and simplistic!"

*sigh*.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:19 am

Steve Evil wrote:" That would be sentimental and simplistic!"

*sigh*.

It's pretty much the equivalent of the writer throwing up his hands and shouting "Okay, fine! I suck!" at the audience, isn't it?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:59 pm

SPOILERS, SWEETIE, SPOILERS

Okay. Been cogitating for a couple of days.

1) First, let me congratulate Matt Smith on a terrific performance as The Doctor. He finally captured an aspect of real fear and anger which has been lacking in most of his performance this season.

2) The writing of a very complex episode was well done, referencing important elements of the story and The Doctor's history (goodbye Brigadier), as well as pulling together in a believable fashion all of the disparate aspects of the season. It was tied up nicely in a slightly sloppy but convincing bow.

3) I was a little put off by the use of Dorium Maldovar as "Exposition King", which I found to be just too convenient for explaining The Prophecy. Love the character, but "Here's the answer to all you questions, Doctor" was just a little too Jambie for me -- particularly after he became a disembodied head in a box.

4) It was funny, to me, when the Teselecta robot was revealed to be the murdered Doctor, though I admit I didn't immediately see it coming -- in point of fact I noted the earlier offer of assistance and had expected the Doctor to reappear after he'd exited the scene...which it was revealed later to be precisely what happened. I had feared yet another Who Universe reset, which I distinctly didn't like when it occurred in The Big Bang -- that's an easy cheat out of a no-win situation. Kind of a Kobayashi Maru of the Dalek set. To his credit, Moffett avoided the temptation and created an old-time mystery novel of an ending. That The Doctor lies is an important character trait and so becomes a logical way to explain a disconnect from what we've been told before -- though if you want to pick nits, River whispering "Look in my eye" to the Doctor to demonstrate his eventual complete trust in her during Silence in the Library still doesn't square, but...

5) Amy Pond continues to intrigue me, as does Rory. I think the dynamic of their relation with each other, as well as their relation to the Doctor and to River Melody Pond Song merits more exploration. The scene with River and Amy sipping wine in the garden was particularly well done and character driven, which is always welcome. We know River will undoubtedly still play a role in the series, as do, I hope Amy and Rory. (Just, please, can we get past the "They killed Rory! You Bastards!"? Please?)

6) Eye patches are cool.

7) Finally, a season ended without the need to seriously damage, distress, pillage, or kill any of the main characters. The ending was, in a timey wimey way, logical and thought-provoking. The nature of the question was, for me, a bit of a letdown, but I rather expect that Moffett will be going in more of a pyschological direction than simply "Doctor Me".

8) After all of my bitching and moaning all season, they finished this off nicely for me. I find myself re-interested in what happens to these characters in a way I haven't felt for months (since Vincent, actually).
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Peter David had a little bit of a problem with the Brigadier's death. He wondered why it should be a big deal for the Doctor, when he could always simply revisit Lethbridge-Stuart at an earlier date, having a time machine at his disposal and all.

It's a reasonable question, but I feel it was meant to be more of a reminder that, while the Doctor may be immortal, his companions are decidedly and irrevocably mortal. I'm not even sure if the Doctor would have the courage to drop in on his oldest friend after knowing when and how time will come calling for him. Sure, River Song might be an exception to that rule, but the Doctor's run-ins with her were more or less out of his control.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:43 am

Like most of the season, I was thrilled with the finale as well. Though I'm not sure it made sense all the time...

oh, right. *ahem* Spoilers!

There. Where was I? With you both on all major points. I was thrilled with the episode (as indeed, most of the season), though I'm not sure the ending made a whole lot of sense. The Doctor maintained the entire episode he had to die, and that not dying would not just change history, but END history as we know it, and then. . .didn't die. Is time so easily fooled? And why did he have to die anyway, just because the Silence said so?

No matter. Emotional intensity and suspence and mystery right up 'till the end. It was a blast. There was no deus ex machina, no overt sentimentality, or cheap humour. For all my questions, it was still at least internally logical. I didn't even mind the wedding scene, which is a big deal for old school fan.

The Brigadier reference was handled well, a touching moment (though I'm hoping they're not implying the Doctor neglected him in his old age! That would be the fault of the writers/producers who didn't want to bring in Nicholas Courtney, not the fictional Doctor!). I suppose the Doctor realized that time was finite, even with a time machine, and the time would come even for him, when he'd have to say goodbye for real. I'm glad they threw it in (still waiting for a Sarah Jane reference).

I've been lukewarm on the last couple seasons, but have been roped in fully by these latest one. Somehow, the elements all clicked for me in ways they hadn't before. Hopefully they'll maintain the momentum, and it will be a very merry Christmas indeed!

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:06 am

Alex Kingston is going to the SFX Weekender this year. Which all things considered is bloody marvelous. I am hoping that when she does her singing that she says "Hello Sweetie" to everyone... Oh and I am definitely going. And I am ABSOLUTELY going to get a photo with her. Oh yeas indeedy.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:49 am

I wouldn't mind going, but I'm even more broke this year than I was last :(

I gotta say, I liked how the River Song character turned out. It would have been so easy to just throw out a Jane Bond type, with a quick fix and a quick answer to everything. But that's not what she turned out to be (though it's often what she tries to be, which is a character thing rather than a writer thing).

Return to “Pop Culture”