Doctor Who: The End Approaches

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Doctor Who: The End Approaches

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:17 am

I don't think they even know. I begin to suspect they throw in all sorts of cryptic stuff and then refer back to it at a latter date when they're stuck for ideas.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 am

Steve Evil wrote:I don't think they even know. I begin to suspect they throw in all sorts of cryptic stuff and then refer back to it at a latter date when they're stuck for ideas.

Well, this I can address directly. I asked James Moran, who wrote The Fires of Pompeii, about those references. He told me that Davies had specifically instructed him to put in references to several things that would occur later in the series. James didn't know what they were, or why, but was pleasantly surprised when something harkened back to his script. I'm sure this was no different than other writers experienced. According to James there is a lot of collaboration which goes on in the scripting phase. For The Children of Earth, he met with Davies and the other writer (can't think of his name) regularly to compare notes and to completely plot out the miniseries as a group.

My guess is that Davies, like Joe Straczynski, plots out a series/season in advance, so they know roughly where it's going to go. In following seasons there are also tips of the hat, but those really are more in the line of "what has gone before" -- for instance, in The Waters of Mars there was a nice little ode to Pompeii.

But I really hope they bring Alex Kingston back at some point. And the Doctor's daughter. (Wouldn't SHE get a shock at seeing Dear Old Dad younger than she is..!)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

swp

Postby swp » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:15 am

Steve Evil wrote:I don't think they even know. I begin to suspect they throw in all sorts of cryptic stuff and then refer back to it at a latter date when they're stuck for ideas.

I concur.

This can go a lot of ways - from the obvious "it was his mother" that my wife pointed out to something more obscure like another Romana regeneration or a sibling who is on a mission for the white guardian or Alex Kingston's character in another regeneration (what?!) or the elderly version of his daughter. Oh wait, the io9 guys thought of all those also. Also, meaning I am sure that thousands of others had a similar thought process as well not just me and them.
swp

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Having watched the good Doctor from the first episode until about 1978 or so but then catching up with what I missed when a video room - remember them?! - at a con in 1986/7 was showing PRISTINE copies of vintage Hartnell & Troughton that didn't appear on video until years later I have to say that The End Of Time was one of the worst stories I've seen. Watching it in The One Tun in Farringdon with around 150 other fans was enjoyable but only in the sense of watching a football/soccer match. What a let down - it wasn't just a case of jumping the shark it jumped a school of whales....

Here's hoping Moffat breathes life into the thing again although with Matt Smith & Karen Gillan I fear we are in for a Twilight type show. We'll see...

Hopefully the leads being followed up in Africa will yield some more monochrome gems.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:55 am

Join the club Adriane, though I'm more optimistic about Smith . . .

Smith and Jones is on TV right now. Basically sums up my feelings on the new series: Exciting episode, awsome monsters, likable new companion but. . .

Did the plasmivore have to use a straw??

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:34 am

Steve Evil wrote:Did the plasmivore have to use a straw??

Yes. Yes she did. It made for good humor, and you need to bear in mind that this show is still, in the UK, even now, perceived to be a program for younger people. (NOT children, mind you. That's now Sarah Jane...)

I found the use of the straw to be a whimsical touch, to be honest.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Different strokes I suppose. Personally I can't stand self concious whimsy. Feels too much like irony.

Now that I'm here, and I can see how it's marketed, I can say that it is primarily directed at children. Young children. The magazines and the books and the toys are all aimed at primary school kids - I haven't seem any merchandising of any kind for adults.

Oddly enough, I been watching Sarah Jane and actually find it more mature. Not more adult, but smarter, more thought out, more sincere. No irony.

The Shakespere Code was on right afterwards. No complaints there.

Return to “Pop Culture”