Doctor Who: The End Approaches

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Alejandro Riera

Doctor Who: The End Approaches

Postby Alejandro Riera » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:36 pm

WARNING, THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS - WARNING, THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS - WARNING, THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS - WARNING, THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS - MOD

It's been awhile since I posted her on my favorite subject but with the end of the Tennant era so close, the time felt right. The first of Tennant's last specials as the Good Doc will air on BBC America on dec. 19. BBC America just posted a 3-minute clip for "The End of Time: Part One": http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/123/d ... 1597547001

Steve Evil

Re: Doctor Who: The End Approaches

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:33 pm

Be thou assured, you will all get my full, unedited, uncensored analysis when the moment comes!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:52 am

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

(Just practicing...)

:wink:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:30 am

So let me ask again, when are they gonna have a FE-male Dr Who?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:47 pm

When Ood Sigma says its time for a change and gets out his sharp scissors???

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:59 pm

I forgot to mention something for all you US who fans.....

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index. ... s_id=49390

Now I have one of these little beauties, but mine was a little more expensive, because it came with a certificate of authenticity signed by Derek Jacobi. Oh its also numbered 645 of 1000.

However the ones on sale now are not limited, so you can all buy them (assuming youre willing to pay the postage) and theyre well worth it. There is nothing more styling than a pocket watch. But this one has a button on the side... It lights up! WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:04 pm

OMG OMG OMG....new secenes from the End of Time:
http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2009/12 ... r-who.html

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:05 am

Just watched "End of Time: Part I"

What can I say? It was shit. Not as painful as certain other episodes, but definately the most lazy writing I've ever encountered from an incredibly lazy writer. Utter BS all the way. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:57 am

Steve Evil wrote:Just watched "End of Time: Part I"

What can I say? It was shit. Not as painful as certain other episodes, but definately the most lazy writing I've ever encountered from an incredibly lazy writer. Utter BS all the way. . .

Um. Steve, you may call Russell T Davies' many things, but "lazy writer" in either of the definitions isn't truly one of them.

We get to see it tonight, so perhaps you'll elaborate in the morrow?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Au contrar mon ami, RTD is among the laziest writers I have ever encountered. He just isn't trying! Any writer who puts so little effort into concluding his stories, relying so shamelessly and consistantly on \deus ex machina, allows the kind of plot holes he does, and who apparently cares so little for the internal logic of his story world, is. . .well. . .what, if not lazy?

I will say its not the worst episode I've seen. But. . .well, tell me what you think and then I'll tell you what bugged me.

I

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Steve - I have not, as yet, seen the episode in question. It's only just the rerun of WATERS OF MARS on the West Coast.

But...

Steve Evil wrote:relying so shamelessly and consistantly on \deus ex machina, allows the kind of plot holes he does, and who apparently cares so little for the internal logic of his story world, is. . .well. . .what, if not lazy?

The entirety of Doctor Who has always depended upon each of the above. That's part of the fun. The Pertwee, Baker, Hartnell, etc, eras have always depended upon DeM, plot holes and internal logical lapses. There's a wink and nod, and a bit of flair. (The man rides in a police box because the all-powerful Time Vortex cannot shift its shape? P'shaw!)

But, more later.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:04 pm

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT
Okay.

Have at me. It's the first half of a two-parter. Yeah, not super kicked in the head with the Master's actual plot. (C'mon, everyone's become the Master?) But, otherwise, a good show and a lot of fun.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:15 pm

Here's my take:

High points:
Bernard Cribbins: Wonderful performance yet once again. That scene at the coffee shop with the Doctor was precious.
The Master: yes, he is over the top, but there are moments in tonight's episode where you see glimpses of humanity behind the character.
The Return of You Know Who.
The Master Race: You know the idea is demented and bizarre, but that's why it worked for me.

Low points:
How the Master was resurrected. Weak, weak, weak. Actually, based on the trailers, I thought he was going to be brought back through the gate which would have made a whole lotta sense.
Joshua Naismith: Underdeveloped villain, and his motivations for kidnapping the Master and using the Gate were as weak as the Master's resurrection.

That being said, am looking forward to next week's episode. Saw a trailer featuring Bernard Cribbins behind some badass laser cannons a la Millennium Falcon.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:06 am

You capture it correctly for me as well. My biggest issue DID have to do with the Master's resurrection, though I was privately very pleased they thought to bring his ex into the mix. The gate would have made more sense. But again, I feel that criticizing Doctor Who for "DeM" is a bit like screaming at Star Wars for the battle noises in space.

I am, for one, thrilled at the prospect of the collective return of The Doctor's friends. If the Daleks can do it...

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Barber wrote:

The entirety of Doctor Who has always depended upon each of the above. .

Great bouncing icebergs! No, nonononono. NO! :cry: That is most definately not the case and I would gladly go through all the 1000+ episodes (provided they still exist) to make the point. (Gladly conceding "the Underwater Menace" :( )

All of the preceeding relied on the Doctor figuring out clever solutions. Often it involved techno-babble, but it had him doing something that made sense within the logic of that particular story. Never, and dare I say NEVER did it inolve granting a character magic powers at the eleventh hour and simply making the problem go away. Snap your fingers, wave your hand and not only do a million Daleks simply disapear, but all the damage they did is completely undone as well. The Master ruling earth? Never happened. All you had to do was chant the Doctor's name, and he turned into Jesus and. . . that's a whole new level of cheap way out. We're not talking about cobbling together a device for foiling the alien scheme, we are talking literal God in the Machine, where the author actually has God comming down from heaven and solving the problem. Find me a comparable example from classic series. I've got the episode guide here!

Up next: scene by scene comparisons of "Genesis of the Daleks" and "The Waters of Mars"

Return to “Pop Culture”