Sounds of Evil: the Metal Thread

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Sounds of Evil: the Metal Thread

Postby Steve Evil » Fri May 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Yes! Never thought it would happen! My very own thread on my very favorate topic! Up the Irons!

Now where to begin? Hmmm. How about a response to Duanne:

Emperor's Norwegian. And it was Mayhem who killed each other and burnt all the churches down. They're way more famous for that than anything musical they did, which was pretty rotten even by my standards.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri May 01, 2009 12:26 pm

reddragon70 wrote:I always found with Judas Priest that their earlier stuff is the best. Sin After Sin, Point Of Entry, even Sad Wings Of Destiny. However they are amazing live. A bit of a cliched band perhaps but still immensely good fun.

I think you're absolutely right, as do most hardcore fans. The eighties was their biggest commercial success, but that came from dumbing down their sound. If they'd stuck to their earlier sound, Frank might like 'em better.

(And you went to Raven Frank? I've got new respect!)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 01, 2009 12:41 pm

I wonder if the guy with the hockey mask is still in a rock band?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 01, 2009 12:41 pm

I even saw Stryper in concert. Didn't get a bible.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Stone these sinners Stryper, get em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KubgMDSMXfI

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri May 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks for the correction, Steve! I was trying to remember an article I'd read about the incidents a few years ago, and no doubt got some wires crossed in the process.

An odd thing: The older I get, the more metal my musical tastes go. I still love most of the stuff I was into earlier, particularly Jazz, Classical and good ol' Classic Rock. I wouldn't have bought an Opeth album ten years ago, and today I own everything they've done from Blackwater Park 'till now, and I have a ticket for their LA show on May 16th. Most people tend to mellow out when they hit their 40's. Not me, for some reason.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 01, 2009 1:44 pm

The kids always giggle at me when they see me at rock concerts.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri May 01, 2009 2:10 pm

Duane wrote:Thanks for the correction, Steve! I was trying to remember an article I'd read about the incidents a few years ago, and no doubt got some wires crossed in the process.

An odd thing: The older I get, the more metal my musical tastes go. I still love most of the stuff I was into earlier, particularly Jazz, Classical and good ol' Classic Rock. I wouldn't have bought an Opeth album ten years ago, and today I own everything they've done from Blackwater Park 'till now, and I have a ticket for their LA show on May 16th. Most people tend to mellow out when they hit their 40's. Not me, for some reason.

While I find I often like the sound (melody, lyrics, licks) of newer metal, I don't like the high volume when it's live. (Good god, even the Dixie Dregs played too loud to suit my tastes when I saw them, probably more than a decade ago, now.) And I certainly don't like the crowds. So I doubt I'll be going to any concerts.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 01, 2009 2:12 pm

Wimp.

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri May 01, 2009 2:40 pm

I know what you mean; concerts are louder than they have been in the past. The crowds have appeared to mellow out, though, at least for the bands I've seen. Aside from a relatively small mosh pit, the crowd at the last Opeth show I saw just stood there and dug the music. The crowd at the Zappa Plays Zappa show was more dynamic. Nothing wrong with that; I haven't moshed since high school.

Of course, the bands I like are known more for their musicality than their attitude.

I wear musicians' ear plugs (HEAROs) at most shows these days. They cost around $10 a pair, and they allow the musical dynamics to come through, opposed to standard industrial models which aren't any better than putting your hands over your ears.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 01, 2009 3:14 pm

The Webderland mosh party. Sounds like fun.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Fri May 01, 2009 7:27 pm

When I went to the gym last night, someone had left MTV2 on, & I just let "Headbanger's Ball" blather away.

Now, I'm no big Metallica fan, but the video for "All Nightmare Long" just totally enthralled me. In part, I'm certain that I've seen some of the footage in Soviet propaganda films. It's a bit rickety plotwise, but compelling nevertheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULgOy4njKZQ

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 02, 2009 7:37 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 02, 2009 7:42 am

David, you will like this. Amon Duul:

http://www.imeem.com/people/vhaZcZ/musi ... underbird/

Return to “Pop Culture”