She Will Always be "Pip" to Me

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

She Will Always be "Pip" to Me

Postby kevinkirby » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:42 pm

After an across-the-table encounter with Gigi Edgley, Chiana--or Pip--of the former Farscape, I'm wondering why some of these performers can't actually do conventions as some character or other. There probably are some sorts of copyright or contractual details that prevent such outright breaches of decorum, but I can't help thinking how cool it would be at a convention where Chiana is actually somewhere about. Or Mark Hamill in Skywalker garb, and maybe a real Spock (Nimoy or Quinto) running around. Such performance art might require a set of scripted responses, in addition to a well-developed improvisational sense, so I wonder if it's been done before. I bet a lot of fans would try to ruffle the feathers of the actors, even while groping for an autograph or that odd scrap of collectible costume.

Question: If Shatner (or Pine) were to wander around in a convention dressed as Kirk, would it spark a riotous frenzy of adulation?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Hey Kevin -
Yeah. I agree this would be very cool. But -- and I point out that this is strictly an observational comment -- remember that the characters are copyrighted while the actors who portray them are not. So, for an actor to use the character they've helped create without approval from the production company would be a probable conflict with the copyright-owner's rights. (Besides, actors like to feel you might actually like them instead of just the character.)

Figure it this way: If an actor were to appear at a local shopping mall opening "in character", without the approval of the studio, it would cause an uproar.

(Years ago the television actors who portrayed THE LONE RANGER and BATMAN on tv lost the right to appear in character for exactly these reasons...)

It would be cool, but it could get your favorite actor seriously burned financially...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:03 am

I'd rather meet Adam West than meet some big star.

Return to “Pop Culture”